Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

national museum - suitable for young child?

Options
  • 05-09-2006 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi

thinking about bringing my 5 years old to the national museum. Just wondering if it is suitable for his age - he's a typical five year old and does get bored easily. Aslo we are a bit away from Dublin - would it be worth the journey.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

I'd suggest leaving your son with a sitter for the day if you'd like to visit the museum. You said yourself that he gets bored easily, and nothing is more boring (to a five year old) than a big quiet room full of fragile items that are all above eye-level anyway.

If you did take him, do you imagine yourself spending most of your time keeping an eye on him, trying to keep him from bothering others & trying to pursuade him that if he'll be good now he'll have fun later?

Leave him home and take him when he's 20. Honestly, not many kids will appreciate it before then anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 glucosamine

Go to the natural history musuem which is around the corner. Most of the stuff is easy to see except the insects which are kinda at adult chest height under canvas covering. If he's into animals he'll love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

Thanks for replies - I'm trying to think of something to do with him - I think we'll stick with the zoo then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Why not bring him to the museum but be prepared for him to get bored and not want to let you read everything you see :)
    My kids call the natural history musem the Dead zoo and love wanding arround looking at the exhibits a lot more closely then they can in the zoo.
    Break up the trips into the musuems with a trip to the play grounds in merrion square park and st stephens green.
    I found that as long as you keep the kids intrested and thinking and ask them about what they can see and ask thier opinion on the exhibits they do enjoy themsleves but they have to learn how to be have in a musuem and art galleries.
    The national gallery is beside the Dead Zoo and you can take a wander through there as well, the Jack Yeats section can be fun if you ask him can he spot the horses in the messy paintings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Depends on what he is into. My two 5 and 8 have been going for years - they probably prefer the "dead animal" museum - particulalry some of the more gruesome exhibits!
    In the national museum both are fascinated by the skeletons in the Viking section and in the medieval section they love all the swords - I generally bring paper and pencils and let them draw some of their favourites. Not too sure if the "bog body" exhibit is on still - my guys loved it but it could be a bit scary because the bodies are very definitely very dead human bodies. If your little fella is a sensitive soul it mightn't be for him - we brough my 8 year old nephew and he was quite upset when he realised that they were real people in the exhibits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭edengarden

oh he does like the more guesome things - so maybe i'll chance it - where would be the best place to park the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Bought the kids in the the Bog Bodies exhibition over the summer and my 6 year old son loved it - dead bodies, swords, viking boats etc.

12 yo daughter on other hand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

edengarden wrote:
    oh he does like the more guesome things - so maybe i'll chance it - where would be the best place to park the car?

There is a car par just across the road, almost directly across from the netrance - not sure how busy durig the week. Alternatively you can try Setanta or Stephens green carparks 5 min walk.

Advertisement