Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ballinasloe

Options
  • 05-09-2006 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭

Hi I hope you can help. The exchange in Ballinasloe has recently been up graded. I am looking to install Broadband so far I have come up with this:
    Price Including Extra
    Provider Available Capacity per month Phone calls Charges
    EIRCOM Y 1MB €29.99
    BT Y 1MB €45.00
    Imagine Y 1MB €22.98 €48.99
    Digiweb Y 1MB €22.99

Some questions Imagine looks very cheap is this just to get you in and then you see a big price increase later? Also as I live 3 miles outside Ballinasloe Digiweb advises that they send an engineer to check out the line do they charge for it? Is there any other Providers anyone can recommend?
    Sorry if the questions have been asked before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

patmac wrote:
    Hi I hope you can help. The exchange in Ballinasloe has recently been up graded. I am looking to install Broadband so far I have come up with this:
    Price Including Extra
    Provider Available Capacity per month Phone calls Charges
    EIRCOM Y 1MB €29.99
    BT Y 1MB €45.00
    Imagine Y 1MB €22.98 €48.99
    Digiweb Y 1MB €22.99

Some questions Imagine looks very cheap is this just to get you in and then you see a big price increase later? Also as I live 3 miles outside Ballinasloe Digiweb advises that they send an engineer to check out the line do they charge for it? Is there any other Providers anyone can recommend?
    Sorry if the questions have been asked before.
    BTs €45.00 includes your line rental and all calls to Irish and UK landlines. You can't get Eircoms €29.99 unless you also pay €24.something for line rental as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Pat, I've had BB in Ballinasloe for 3 years so it's not really a recent upgrade. They just relaxed the line test nationally to allow it to work at greater distances. Digiweb won't send out anyone to check your line. They're referring to an Eircom engineer who will call out and I haven't heard of any charge for it.
    BT is the best option @ €45 p/m for line calls and BB. I'm with them over a year without any problems and have set up BT BB for alot of people around the town. It normally takes 10 working days from ordering. Don't order online. Ring them to order and make sure you get your username/password when ordering. Imagine look cheap but are the masters of hidden charges.

What side of the town are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,573 ✭✭✭patmac

kaizersoze wrote:
    Pat, I've had BB in Ballinasloe for 3 years so it's not really a recent upgrade. They just relaxed the line test nationally to allow it to work at greater distances. Digiweb won't send out anyone to check your line. They're referring to an Eircom engineer who will call out and I haven't heard of any charge for it.
    BT is the best option @ €45 p/m for line calls and BB. I'm with them over a year without any problems and have set up BT BB for alot of people around the town. It normally takes 10 working days from ordering. Don't order online. Ring them to order and make sure you get your username/password when ordering. Imagine look cheap but are the masters of hidden charges.

What side of the town are you?
    I live in Woodmount beside Padraig Pearses (communications wasteland) and would love to be able to get Broadband.

patmac wrote:
    I live in Woodmount beside Padraig Pearses (communications wasteland) and would love to be able to get Broadband.
    Good to hear it's reaching out that far. I know alot around your distance from town that are longing to get BB so there may be hope.
    If you're getting "Pass, Subject to confirmation" you should be able to get it. If you want to play it safe you might want to order from Eircom as they may be more inclined to sort out any problems if the order is with them. It shouldn't make any difference but you know the score. You can switch to someone else after 6 months.
    Order from someone asap though as borderline test results have been known to change to fail for various reasons.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Good to hear it's reaching out that far. I know alot around your distance from town that are longing to get BB so there may be hope.
    If you're getting "Pass, Subject to confirmation" you should be able to get it. If you want to play it safe you might want to order from Eircom as they may be more inclined to sort out any problems if the order is with them. It shouldn't make any difference but you know the score. You can switch to someone else after 6 months.
    Order from someone asap though as borderline test results have been known to change to fail for various reasons.
    Thanks Kaiser have had a lot of problems with my line so I'll start with them, I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement

patmac wrote:
    Thanks Kaiser have had a lot of problems with my line so I'll start with them, I'll let you know how I get on.
    Please do. I'd very interested to know.
    BTW, I passed your way tonight and Pearses is exactly 5KM from the exchange which is a great step forward for BB.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Please do. I'd very interested to know.
    BTW, I passed your way tonight and Pearses is exactly 5KM from the exchange which is a great step forward for BB.
    Well I received the box and it didn't work so I rang the helpdesk and in fairness to them they arranged for a technician to come out, but still not working, he reckons I am on the periphery but not suitable for synchronisation.:(

patmac wrote:
    Well I received the box and it didn't work so I rang the helpdesk and in fairness to them they arranged for a technician to come out, but still not working, he reckons I am on the periphery but not suitable for synchronisation.:(
    Ahh crap. Do you still have the equipment? PM sent aswell.

Advertisement