Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh Start

Options
  • 05-09-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Had my fitness test last week so here are the starting stats:
    Height - 5 ft 7
    Weight - 70Kg
    BF - 18.9%

Goals - To add some mass and muscle, but also bring the bodyfat down.

Split routine plan:

Chest/Tri's
    Shoulders/Bi's
    Legs/Abs

Cardio :
    Rower - 2000m in under 10 minutes
    Bike - 7 min on level 7
    Treadmill - 10 minute run starting at 10kph and going up .5 every 2 minutes.

So thats about it. If anyone has any advice or criticism then feel free to let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greenmonster

First thing that sticks out there is a lack of a back workout. It is your back and legs size that make you look big, so leaving out your back is a massive oversight.
    Secondly, I've tried all different splits and I find that working your triceps on chest day doesn't benefit your tri's as you may overwork them and/or neglect a proper workout on them due to fatigue. Some peoples arms will grow anyway, but not mine so I'm trying this split at the mo:

Mon: Chest + shoulders
    Tues: Back + traps
    Weds: off
    Thurs: Legs
    Fri: Bi's + Tri's
    Weekend: off
    (I do ab-work as my warm-up on tues and fri and calves on thurs or fri)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

First thing that sticks out there is a lack of a back workout. It is your back and legs size that make you look big, so leaving out your back is a massive oversight.
    Secondly, I've tried all different splits and I find that working your triceps on chest day doesn't benefit your tri's as you may overwork them and/or neglect a proper workout on them due to fatigue. Some peoples arms will grow anyway, but not mine so I'm trying this split at the mo:

Mon: Chest + shoulders
    Tues: Back + traps
    Weds: off
    Thurs: Legs
    Fri: Bi's + Tri's
    Weekend: off
    (I do ab-work as my warm-up on tues and fri and calves on thurs or fri)

Sorry mate, posted the old routine!! This is the one that I've been following:
    Chets/Tri's,
    Shoulders/Legs,
    Back/Bi's.

Im pushing it to make the 3 days in the gym so thats why the 3 day split suits me better. I have to admit that my tri's are well and truly shattered when Im doing chest. I also find that when doing chest that my tri's seem to fail when Im benching, which annoys tha hell out of me. Maybe I just need to build up my tri's more?

So going on your advice would I be better doing:
    Chets/Shoulders,
    Tri's/Legs,
    Back/Bi's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Well I hit my cardio last night. 10 minute cycle, stretch out. 2000m row and then my interval run for 10 mins on the treadmill. And 8 minutes into my run my lovely, friendly shin splints hit my right shin again. FFS!!!!!!! Seriously starting to get me down. But what do I do??? Give up training and let it heal or go see someone about it? Is there anything a physio can do???

• Registered Users Posts: 12 greenmonster

I find the back and biceps thing the same as the chest and triceps, the biceps tend to get over-worked on back day, so I'd actually go with:

Chest & Legs
    Back
    Bi's, Tri's & Shoulders.

As for the failing tri's while benching, try using a wider grip on the bar, it focuses more on the pectorals and neutralizes the triceps.
    And maybe a skier or something with elliptical movements may help you keep your fitness levels up while taking out the impact on your lower legs.

Hope you find this helpful.

Advertisement