Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

login design question

Options
  • 05-09-2006 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

Hello again.

My question is about the possitioning of dynamic logins.

For example; Boards.ie has the login at the top right of the screen. When you log in, it changes to your username and relevant data, like when you last visited etc.

<SOBSTORY>
    I want to do this with the website I'm working on, but haven't quite got to grips with sessions yet. I've thought myself everything I know about PHP/MySQL in the last few weeks as I'm working on an important project for a client. There is no help available to me where I am, so all I have is the internet and some books. I don't have the benefit of a classroom environment. So that's why I'm annoying ye :p
    </SOBSTORY>

Anyway, I know this process has something to do with sessions, but I guess I haven't gotten to that part of the book yet. Are there examples out there? Tutorials even? I've looked around but there aren't any I can find that deal with this login question.

I know boards uses VBulletin, but you get what I mean about the login possition and the way it changes when login to reflect the user.

Ugh, thanks again. I'm gonna die of lung cancer before this is over with....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Be sure to read the comments at the end of that tutorial(there's only a few), there are some important notable issues that should be looked at once you have the basics done, but don't worry about them until after you've completed the script, you'll only get more confused! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I called up an old mate in London. He's kind of a guru guy, and took time out to explain things to me. Very simple and straightforward (well, relatively).
    You see if I was in a class I wouldn't have to ask these questions. Ah well.
    But thanks again guys. I'm sure I'll be back again about something stupid....

Advertisement