Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding Ticket - M1

Options
  • 05-09-2006 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

I recently received a Speeding Ticket for doing 90Km in a 60 KM zone on the M1 at Cloghran. I was not aware that there was a 60 KM zone on the M1, does anyone know that area. Think I will have to go for a drive as I cannot believe that there is a 60KM zone on the M1 motorway. Now I can understand if it said the N1 as this is a 60KM zone and I have driven on this but the ticket clearly states M1 at Cloghran.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Its possible it was a temporary speed limit in a roadworks zone. Especially near the end of it where they've installed a new fly over...

Just a thoery though...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Its possibe that it was the section of road from the M1 to the airport roundabout, I have seen the guards there a number of times with the gun on a tripod. It's deff a 60kph limit on this section.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I know the area. Use it everyday......it must have been the Gatzo van that got you! It's usually on the stretch of road between the airport and the M1. It can be found on both sides of the road and it HAS a 60 kmph limit which make my blood boil. It's put there purely for revenue.

My girlfriend's family lives on narrow country road in Tipp, so narrow that there's a grass verge growing up the middle of it and it has a 80 kmph limit! Everytime I see that van I want to set it alight! ........someday :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

I just got the same notice for the m1 at cloghran. It is for exceeding the special speed limit . must have been the gatso van alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FitzerJ

Thanks everybody, little sods waiting for you to come off the actual motorway just to zap you, should not be allowed, P.S. loved the site with destroyed cameras in the UK.

Can you imagine what it will be like here when they privatise it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

FitzerJ wrote:

Can you imagine what it will be like here when they privatise it!!!

Great minds :D Was just about to say the same thing !

Id say there will be plenty of 'faulty' gatsos in years to come !
    Maybe there might be a masked superhero "Gatsoman" whos mission it will be to ensure Gatsos in poxy locations start to feel ill and keel over...on a regular basis ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I just got the same notice for the m1 at cloghran. It is for exceeding the special speed limit . must have been the gatso van alright.
    Grim :mad: I use the road twice a day everyday. Do you know exactly where you got done and at what time?

Is there any chance the bye law wasnt sanctioned? Just cos they put signs up saying 60KMH doesnt mean its enforceable by law...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jaysus, another bad beats thread.
    Must have been a construction site or one of the spots near the airport with a 60k limit.
    Take it on the chin and take the points, next time you'll know better and perhaps the people that read this post will have a better idea of the speed limit there even though it is most likely signposted on the road.

Whats the whole attitude of burning speed cameras etc? People who do this should be locked up. Not only will the actual costs of these repairs be passed onto the end motorist but the fact that there isnt a camera in an area generally means that more drivers can break the law-there is generally a reason why the speed limit is in place-and if not-it doesnt really matter, just because you dont agree with the law doesnt mean it is an excuse to break it.
    Damaging these devices is a very narrow minded and juvenile act which in the long run will solve nothing.
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Did you get the picture because before you pay that fine I have one for you. If what the ticket is calling "M1 Cloghran" is really the slip road off the M1 to the airport. Because the limit does change from 120km to 60km however the speed limit sign is missing on the right hand side. Check that out before you give away points and tax money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

flanzer wrote:
    it HAS a 60 kmph limit which make my blood boil. It's put there purely for revenue

I think the OP may have been detected on the short piece of road (Eastbound) between the main airport roundabout and the junction with the M1. The Gardai are regularly there. There are several reasons why this short (.5km) road may have a 60kph limit:

1. Traffic is merging on the left coming from the direction of the R132 (Coachman's Pub direction).

2. Traffic coming from the airport, intending to head north on the M1, will be trying to merge in the left lane to take the appropriate exit.

3. Traffic coming from the R132 and intending to travel southbound on the M1 will be trying to merge with the right lane.

4. There will be many foreign tourists in rental cars coming from the airport and getting their first experience of Irish driving in this piece of road.

All in all, that portion of road of fraught with danger, especially with weaving traffic and I think that may explain the 60kph limit. That's my tuppance worth.

bbability wrote:
    Check that out before you give away points

"give away points"?? I presume you mean gain points. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

steve06 wrote:

I think I just came a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

kippy wrote:
    Take it on the chin and take the points,
    Yea thats really all you can do. ducks in a barrel springs to mind all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

The only one I've seen torched is the one on the N3 after Navan on the way to Dunsaighlin.
    Bless whoever did it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭the_batman

ducks in a barrel springs to mind all the same.

I have never heard of the term "Ducks in a barrel" before. It gave me a funny image in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FitzerJ

I'll check the road out later for the speed signs. Funny thing really is that I was snapped in February but I never received anything in the post. First I knew about it was a Guard calling at my door handing me a summons for me to appear in court. If I had got the initial letter I probably would have just paid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 burner

I got a Fixed Penalty Notice as well the other day in the post and wanted to know where exactly I was causght speeding also. The fixed penalty just said Cloghran, m1. So it looks like the short motorway stretch from Airport Roundabout going to M50 direction southbound as stated in other threads.

It took me ages to rack my brains as to why I was in that area until I realised I was dropping a friend to Airport. Thing is, we couldn't remember who was driving at time of alleged offence and were unsure who to name on the penalty notice as driver. The picture on the fixed penalty notice just shows a number plate image/photo. Does the Gatso van images record the front of offending vehicle in order to help identify who was driving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

It took me ages to rack my brains as to why I was in that area until I realised I was dropping a friend to Airport. Thing is, we couldn't remember who was driving at time of alleged offence and were unsure who to name on the penalty notice as driver. The picture on the fixed penalty notice just shows a number plate image/photo. Does the Gatso van images record the front of offending vehicle in order to help identify who was driving?
    lol, by any chance is your friend a foreigner whose licence cant have penalty points appointed to? I dont think the gatso image will identify the driver to any great detail.

Ps: Does anyone else hate the kind of numpty`s that always come into any speeding ticket thread even if its something pathetic like breaking a 40mph zone on a motorway stating "just pay it and take it on the chin" which stinks of bendover syndrome. Excuse the pun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

That really is ****ty, special speed limit my arse!! It's coming up to Christmas they need the extra money so they can splash out on their Christmas Party.

They're certainly not there to save lives. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

m1 Cloghran-Lissenhall is that stretch of motorway from the airport to the Skerries exit.

General speed limits of the M1 AFAIK.
    Whitehall -Port Tunnel 60 kph.
    Port Tunnel - Airport exit 80 kph
    M1 Cloghran and beyond 120 kph

There are no other speed limits until you get to the end of it.
    If people get tickets for being over 60 kph then they are special speed limits and the Gatso will probably be hidden there somewhere.
    This is just a money making exercise as the Gatso van has never ventured out onto the M1 proper . Even parking on the Estuary bridge would catch people who are actually breaking a real speed limit. They are usually the ones who sprint for the Skerries exit in the outside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

FitzerJ wrote:
    I'll check the road out later for the speed signs. Funny thing really is that I was snapped in February but I never received anything in the post. First I knew about it was a Guard calling at my door handing me a summons for me to appear in court. If I had got the initial letter I probably would have just paid it.

How did this pan out? I might be in a similar situation as my car was still reg'd at an old address when I passed the old favourite N4 camera van a few weeks back at a "shade over the limit" (your honour). I've been by to pick up the post and found nowt. Sent off the reg cert with my new address, too. Bit paranoid there'll be a notice sitting on a door mat while the people at the old place are away for hols or summat.

Mojito wrote:
    they need the extra money so they can splash out on their Christmas Party.
    Yes, the Gardai manning the speed checks get to keep the money themselves. :rolleyes:

is_that_so wrote:
    General speed limits of the M1 AFAIK.
    Whitehall -Port Tunnel 60 kph.
    Port Tunnel - Airport exit 80 kph
    M1 Cloghran and beyond 120 kph

There are no other speed limits
    The M1 at Cloghran refers to the portion of the M1 which goes east/west to/from Dublin Airport main roundabout. That road has a 60kph limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The M1 at Cloghran refers to the portion of the M1 which goes east/west to/from Dublin Airport main roundabout. That road has a 60kph limit.
    It may well do and I agree with speed limit of that section. The M1 junction is also known as the Cloghran interchange and I was referring to the "real" motorway in this case. The naming of "M1 at Cloghran" stretch once again shows evidence of the inability of the powers that be to properly classify roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Yes, Nuttzy, those partucular posts do annoy me slightly, just because of their obviousness. They shoudl make it a sticky, so no-one has to bother.

You can have the photo re-sent to you with the image showing the whole car, which may help you identify who was driving.

Hopefully your mate who lives outside the jurusdiction, if the gods are with you!

I recieved a notice and was unsure who was driving. My brother was home from the US and was driving, The cop said " Ah, sure, you say it was you, its a only a few quid oand a couple of points. No big deal!".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Recently got a ticket for doing 45mph in a 40mph 'special zone' on what the Gardai are calling the N7 but I always thought was the R110 (and indeed it's signposted as that coming off the M50). I'm sure many of ye will know the road, after the red cow roundabout heading towards the longmile road. Is that actually the N7 or the R110?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

i pulled off the M1 this morning heading for the airport roundabout and it was only luck that had me slow down to 65kph before i rounded the corner. a uniformed cop and a pig on a bike were in waiting and pulled the guy passing me out at the time, doing about 80

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

rymus wrote:
    Recently got a ticket for doing 45mph in a 40mph 'special zone' on what the Gardai are calling the N7 but I always thought was the R110 (and indeed it's signposted as that coming off the M50). I'm sure many of ye will know the road, after the red cow roundabout heading towards the longmile road. Is that actually the N7 or the R110?

the N7 is the naas road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah, but I thought the N7 Naas Road only started on the opposite side of the Red Cow roundabout. Ah well, didn't stay points free for long :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement