Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the Garda Reserve

Options
  • 05-09-2006 3:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

Just a quick rant on how I feel that this may be doomed from the get go. A quick story:

First day publicjobs.ie advertises the Garda Reserve positions and allows you to apply I logon and apply within 10 hours (some 800 applied the first day)

I then get an email sent yesterday to me at 6pm (I got it about 8pm or so) saying ring xxxx number to arrange for my application interview / assesment.

I ring about 30 minutes ago only to be told that all the appointment dates for Dublin have been filled and no more interviews will be held until JANUARY as well as the woman on the phone actively trying to dissuade me from following the application through.

Now what the fuck , does the fact that they are not holding anymore interviews until January already undermine the Garda Reserve in that it may be missing out on the best potential candidates to first go into the reserve (I'm not saying I'm one of them but if you look at the grand scheme of things)

Surely this is ridiculous at the most basic of levels unless of course they is something subversive going on here by others to intentially undermine the Garda Reserve in a "i told you so / it was a bad idea all along" kind of way

[end rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Presumably they can only interview, train, and phase in so many people at one time, and a large number of people applied.

I don't really see how this undermines the reserves......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

Are the recruiters members of the Garda Siochána?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

no

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

DaveMcG wrote:
    Presumably they can only interview, train, and phase in so many people at one time, and a large number of people applied.

I don't really see how this undermines the reserves......

it undermines it in the sense that they can't interview everyone therefore cannot say that they have the best recruits indeed the first batch may actually be TERRIBLE which defeats the whole purpose of the thing

anyway , point being you can't say something is representitive of a community when over half of the community are being now told to wait until jan-feb at the earliest ,

half of the point of the reserves is to improve garda / general public relations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Does anyone know anyone who has actually applied for the garda Reserve??? I can't imagine anyone I know applying for this, I can't imagine the type of person who would. I imagine it's the type of headwrecker who is involved in the residents association and minding everyone's business for them??? But maybe I'm wrong, anyone know any better???

• Advertisement
Advertisement