Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resetting Bios on Inspiron 2650

• 05-09-2006 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 that needs to have the BIOS reset. I understand that I have to remove and replace the BIOS reset jumpers on the mainboard, but I have no idea where they are and how to get to them. Are they on the top or bottom of the mainboard and how many are there? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. I am new to this forum and haven't yet figured out how to use it, so if you feel like also emailing me the info that would be great. pkushner3@comcast.net

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

People will probably just reply here to help you, welcome to boards.ie btw.
    There are two ways to reset the BIOS (that I know of), using the jumper on the mainboard or removing the CMOS (a coin cell battery) battery on the mainboard for a few hours. Either way I think you are going to have to open up the laptop which is difficult. Perhaps there is an easier way though I'm not sure if there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Why exactly do you need to reset the bios?Who told you this is what you needed to do?
    Can you get into the bios via pressing F2 when machine powers on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 koltov

because when i turn on the laptop, I am asked for a password (which is the Dell Service Tag Number). I get a message saying that the password is incorrect. A friend told me that I have to reset the BIOS jumpers on the mainboard, but I do not see any jumpers.

F2 will not get me to the BIOS because I am being asked for the password. When I enter the password, I get the message that it is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I'm not sure of full details but depending on the laptop, removing the cmos battery or shorting the jumpers may not be enough to reset the BIOS. Had this problem with a colleagues laptop. He got bored and decided to put a power on password on teh computer which somehow set up a BIOS password too. He didn't know that Toshiba have had problems with the computer changing the password itself and now his laptop is currently useless. For his one anyway he is going to have to get a BIOS security chip replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

To the OP,fixing this problem is going to be a tricky one..
    Resetting the bios on a latop is neigh impossible as there are no real "jumpers" that you willbe able to get access to.
    Try using "Dell" as a possible backdoor password.There are several forums on the net with threads dedicated to cracking dell boot passwords but believe me as a PC technician, I wouldn't hold out to much hope for removing the passsword...I looked into buying 2nd hand laptops off ebay with this particular issue as I thought would be an easy fix....but apparently not..sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You might want to google around if you are going to attempt to open it, fairly easy to crack open the case I would imagine.

Actually, this laptop was working fine until last week when it suddenly would not boot up because of the problem I described. I have owned it for a few year.

Advertisement