Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk To Ucd. Possible ?

Options
  • 05-09-2006 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Do you or anybody you know commute from Dundalk to Ucd. What in your opinion is the quickest way. I might myself but just think it might be too long

Thanks. grateful for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

it's not a lot of fun but there plenty of people that do it. you could either get the train or matthews bus and then take the number 10 or 46 bus out to ucd. how long it will take depends a lot of the time of day and traffic but around two hours. if your course doesn't have too many hours it wont me so bad but if you have to be in for nine it could be a bit of an ordeal.

EDIT: oh and i think some of the earlier trains go the whole way to sydney parade which would definitly be an advantage in rush hour traffic but those trains do make a lot more stops on the way. sorry I can't be more exact but I've only done that once.

if you want to have a look yourself
    http://irishrail.ie/home/
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/home/
    and
    http://www.matthewscoach.com/Matthews_Coaches_Timetable.pdf

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Maybe you should post this in the North East Forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

personally I think he will get more specific information in this forum, i'm sure it's not the trip to dublin he wants information about but to know how people found commuting to ucd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Shark!!!!!!!!

thanks alot for the help. Didn't get on campus so don't really want to live in digs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

i know a guy who did it during 2nd year, don't think it was the best situation to be in. its a bit of a trek.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

don't think it would be a good idea. we'd a girl from dundalk in our class and she always said commuting was a no no. plus you miss all the social life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

dont do it, itll make ur life hell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

thanks alot for the help. Didn't get on campus so don't really want to live in digs
    Head in tomorrow and get your name on the cancelation list, you might get somewhere within the next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Well we had someone else asking about commuting from Drogheda to UCD here so add another 20 mins on a train from Dundalk and it's managable (even though I know there is less trains from Dundalk than Drogheda) Check this www.irishrail.ie for times and don't rule out switching to a bus from town to campus either.

Most important thing is to ask yourself ''what course am I doing?''. If it's Engineering, Science for example with long hours (20+ maybe 30) then the commute early in the morning, late at night will be hell. If you have 10-15 hours per week (say Arts) then I'd say the commute could be managable provided with timeable yourself accordingly and use your time on the train well for studying or doing a bit of coursework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Louth Man

Don't do it...

I'm not sure if its even possible to get from Dundalk to UCD fro a 9am lecture..

I did it for my first two days when I was in 1st year (04/05), and I was 20 mins late for my first lecture. I walked in to a packed Th. L.. no seats anywhere, had to go right down to the bottom, and the lecturer, (Dr. Sheehan, I think, Economics) pointed me out and said "Its important not to be late.. " prompting 300 pairs of eyes to fixate on me..

Seriously even if you get the 6.30 train, with traffic the way it is in Dublin it be cuttinig it fine to get to UCD by 9am. Even with an easyisy timetable - say 15 or 16 hours - You would have no social life and would be pernamentaly wrecked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 comatose

i do it every morning. it means getting the matthews bus at 6:30 though. not as bad as it looks on paper... get yourself a book and an ipod and you'll be alright!

Advertisement