Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing wallpaper to paint walls

Options
  • 05-09-2006 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey,
    Recently moved into a house which is roughly 15 years old and want to paint the walls. However, there's crappy wallpaper (pasted over plasterboard) and I want to remove it before I paint. Is this going to be more trouble than it's worth or is plasterboard in general smooth enough to be painted straight onto?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

this came up a few weeks ago, search the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭miles teg

I can't find another thread on this topic. Are you referring to the "paint on plaster" thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Hi,

It really depends on what type of wallpaper, how many layers, etc but generally it can be removed with a wallpaper steamer or score the wallpaper carefully with a blade and apply wallpaper stripper (you mix with water and apply liberally with a sponge). Be careful with the steamer on plasterboard as it can damage it by making it too wet and causing it to 'peel'.

You can't tell what state the walls are in until you remove the paper. You may have to just fill in some holes here and there or you may have to get a skim of plaster over the whole wall. We got our whole house skimmed which gave a perfect finish and was well worth the money. You can expect to pay €400 - €450 per room for skim

HTH

D

Advertisement