Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

he is 23 and I'm 28

• 05-09-2006 5:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

I got talking to a guy on Sunday night at electric picnic. We got on very well, had a laugh etc as we had both lost our mates ( as you do at these things!) but we didn't really mind so much.

After about an hour or so he decided he wasn't really up for dancing but i was and so we parted company. I didn't expect to hear from him again. But I then got a text about 20mins later saying "give me a shout if ya wanna meet up"

I said i would be in the campsite in a while meeting friends and i'd try and find him, as I was at another bar for the time being. I told him if he liked - to call over to the bar.

the campsite was huge and i was hoping to find other friends first & then mayb bring one of them along to his tent to him and all his mates.

In the end it took me half an hour to find anyone in the campsite (as it wasn't where i was staying, so i wasn't familiar with the layout....and phones were all dead.) When i did find my friends it was an hour and a half since he had sent the text, so i felt it was slightly pointless, as so late and most people were winding down.

My question is .. he is 23 and I'm 28. Would i be crazy to suggest meeting him for a drink or would he think the age gap is a bit much??

Would he have been more forward had he thought i was younger? Are guys intimidated by women older than them?...maybe thinking, why would she be interested in me cos i'm younger?

Perhaps he wasn't interested at all but i was thinking...what do i have to lose?;)
    I would be interested in male and female feedback..:o :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

5 years is not a huge age gap.

In any case i don't think too many guys would be bothered by it.

28 is a good age - gives the impression of being more experienced and more liberal (sexually as opposed to politically - though obviously they aren't mutually exclusive).

When i was 23 you would have had to hold me back!

My rambling, inarticulate and 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

go for it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

jellypops wrote:
    I got talking to a guy on Sunday night at electric picnic. We got on very well, had a laugh etc as we had both lost our mates ( as you do at these things!) but we didn't really mind so much.

After about an hour or so he decided he wasn't really up for dancing but i was and so we parted company. I didn't expect to hear from him again. But I then got a text about 20mins later saying "give me a shout if ya wanna meet up"

I said i would be in the campsite in a while meeting friends and i'd try and find him, as I was at another bar for the time being. I told him if he liked - to call over to the bar.

the campsite was huge and i was hoping to find other friends first & then mayb bring one of them along to his tent to him and all his mates.

In the end it took me half an hour to find anyone in the campsite (as it wasn't where i was staying, so i wasn't familiar with the layout....and phones were all dead.) When i did find my friends it was an hour and a half since he had sent the text, so i felt it was slightly pointless, as so late and most people were winding down.

My question is .. he is 23 and I'm 28. Would i be crazy to suggest meeting him for a drink or would he think the age gap is a bit much??

Would he have been more forward had he thought i was younger? Are guys intimidated by women older than them?...maybe thinking, why would she be interested in me cos i'm younger?

Perhaps he wasn't interested at all but i was thinking...what do i have to lose?;)

Go for it! I have a good friend who is 28, her fiance is 23, no problem for them, getting married next year, can't think of a happier couple tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yeah I say go for it too. 5 years isn't that much. I know a couple that are married, the dude is 23, the girl 28, and they get on better than any couple I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jellypops

thanks for the feedback and encouragement guys..will ponder over night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

5 years is nothing OP. Go for it and have a good time, best of luck. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

5 years is nothing TBH.

A friend of mine has been seeing a girl for over 3 years and they have just bought a house together and he's 24 while she is 31, so I reckon the age gap doesn't really matter and is not much of an issue for them and their friends.

Hope it all goes well for you, I reckon you should go for it :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have to say as a 23 year old guy, from this side of the fence, looking at potentially dating a 28 year old, I would be more excited and flattered than worried or think that age is an issue. (U know the rush you always get from new relationships?)
    But I would hope that a 5 year age gap wouldnt get in your way if you are considering starting something new.
    Its not like he's a teenager, and has at least a few years of world experience.
    Why wouldnt you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

23 yr old male here, dated a 28 year old a few months ago, no problems. Didn't work out because I was moving away. Go for it he'll be chuffed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Im 21 and dated a girl who was 24. I also had an ehhh relationship :o with a woman 13 years my senior (18 - 31).

Its never been an issue for me.... infact ive always seemed to end up with older women.

Give him a call.

Whats the worst that could happen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Go for it, my girlfriend and I have a similar age difference (although reversed) and its not a problem.
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh my God, there's barely any difference. I'm 28 too so I was 23 in 2001. Seems damn recent, to be honest. In fairness, if the genders were reversed it wouldn't even be an issue. For flip's sake, go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You know what 23 year old males are good for. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

I know its more common for the guy to be older but what the hell, if it makes you happy then go for it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

There is a 4 year gap between my wife & I (she is older than me).

I never had a problem with it. None of my friends or family ever had a problem with it.

Go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I dated a girl of 28 at 23. We're still great friends. Go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Remember The Rule. Half your age plus seven is the youngest you can go out with while remaining generally socially acceptable!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My bf is 29 and I'm 23 and it works out fine.. I actually don't think I would go out with a guy my own age.. I'd rather an older guy.. I don't mean a Michael Douglas or anything lol but a few years older...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

jellypops wrote:

Live your life, no problem with the age gap

Cheers all,
    I think i'll send the text and see what happens.
    If nothing...he'll be flattered and i'll be delighted with myself for havign guts ot send it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

older woman with younger guy, yes, this can work out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvnkYVM08tA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

From a guy who's had girlriends ranging from 7 years younger to 6 years older, my advice is, without hesitation, go for it.

The age gap is a non-issue. It's more important that you get on well and have fun together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I went out with a 26 year old when I was 19. It worked out fine, until her parents started pressuring her to find a husband.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you fancy each other, age is unimportant. Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 TallGirl

I think people are fogetting the length of time it has been since he texted you. He was probably in the festival, friendly mood.... thinking, "hay i might get lucky here tonight, I've nothing to loose by texting and seeing if she wants to hang out in the campsite".
    I don't know if you texted him back at all since he texted you first but if you haven't texted him at all I think you might have left it a bit long.
    I still reckon you should go for it and text, not ring (I think Ringing will put him on the spot). But be aware that he might just think its weird you getting in contact now after not having been in contact for aaages.

sent text yesterday lunchtime..heard nothing but was thinking that would be the case. feel a bit humiliated but I think it's better than the wondering
    "what if" and yes we were all in the "festival mood".

I understand what Tallgirl was saying and i was thinking that myself. we had been in touchon Monday evening but nothing since.

Not to worry, it's something i've never had the guts to do before and i thought .. what the hell.. i may aswell be forward for once in my life.

I'm sure he was flattered. cheerio guys

jellypops wrote:
    sent text yesterday lunchtime..heard nothing but was thinking that would be the case. feel a bit humiliated but I think it's better than the wondering
    "what if" and yes we were all in the "festival mood".

I understand what Tallgirl was saying and i was thinking that myself. we had been in touchon Monday evening but nothing since.

Not to worry, it's something i've never had the guts to do before and i thought .. what the hell.. i may aswell be forward for once in my life.

I'm sure he was flattered. cheerio guys

Well fair play to ya for havin the guts to take the chance, sure ye never know, he might be out of credit or somethin and you'll get a txt in a few days time...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭DiscoHugh

or he could just be playing it cool!

don't worry about it. of course he's flattered no matter what.

that is the beauty of the text message so much easier than picking up the phone...though the not knowing where you stand can be a negative

i got a reply yesterday. Although it was negative with a good reason (true or not, it doesn't matter) I'm glad he had the decency to get back to me.
    I think in some circumstances it's plain rude when people don't reply to a text.. especially one like the one I've spoken about.

Thanks for your posts

• Advertisement

jellypops wrote:
    i got a reply yesterday. Although it was negative with a good reason (true or not, it doesn't matter) I'm glad he had the decency to get back to me.
    I think in some circumstances it's plain rude when people don't reply to a text.. especially one like the one I've spoken about.

Thanks for your posts
    Well ye know what they say, "nothing ventured, nothing gained"! I always wonder who are "they" in phrases like that!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭jubi lee

jellypops, i'm the same age and went out with a guy in his early 20's. age did make a diff. he got stopped and asked for id going into pubs, it was so embarrassing!!! he got turned away from one when all my mates where inside so i had to leave with him... the slagging i got was unreal!!

i guess tho it depends on the guy. i wouldn't rule it out in the future..

jubi lee wrote:
    jellypops, i'm the same age and went out with a guy in his early 20's. age did make a diff. he got stopped and asked for id going into pubs, it was so embarrassing!!! he got turned away from one when all my mates where inside so i had to leave with him... the slagging i got was unreal!!

i guess tho it depends on the guy. i wouldn't rule it out in the future..

I had a long chat recently with a friend of mine who is 30 and can't find a guy her own age. She has a theory on this that most guys 28-30 are seeing girls in their early twenties 'cos girls of that age don't want commitment, which apparently suits the guys 'cos they are just out for sex? So, she feels that there are a load of girls in their late twenties and early thirties who cannot get a bloke their own age cos they are all seeing younger girls, who couldn't be bothered with guys their own age cos they are too immature? I don't know about this theory, hopefully it is not straying off topic, but would love to hear second or third opinions on this???

Darragh29 wrote:
    I had a long chat recently with a friend of mine who is 30 and can't find a guy her own age. She has a theory on this that most guys 28-30 are seeing girls in their early twenties 'cos girls of that age don't want commitment, which apparently suits the guys 'cos they are just out for sex? So, she feels that there are a load of girls in their late twenties and early thirties who cannot get a bloke their own age cos they are all seeing younger girls, who couldn't be bothered with guys their own age cos they are too immature? I don't know about this theory, hopefully it is not straying off topic, but would love to hear second or third opinions on this???
    yeah your mate is fairly spot on. though most guys from 28-30 are either married, in longterm relationships....its just generally harder to meet an unattached guy at this age... not met too many dating much younger girls but i'm sure they are out there!!!

also i think women out number men 3:1 so it is harder to meet a single bloke

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

I'm just gone 30(ARRGGHHH!!!!!).
    My girlfriend of five years is NOW 23.
    Do the math.
    Go for it :D

so morph, did you conciously go looking for a girl much younger than yourself or did it just happen that way? do you prfer younger women as darragh mentioned above??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 zaphod_ie

jubi lee wrote:
    yeah your mate is fairly spot on. though most guys from 28-30 are either married, in longterm relationships....its just generally harder to meet an unattached guy at this age... not met too many dating much younger girls but i'm sure they are out there!!!

also i think women out number men 3:1 so it is harder to meet a single bloke

I have to agree with this. Out of a group of 8 lads (all 28-31) that i've hung around with for 15 years, only two of us are single and the other guy just came out of an 11 year relationship. I think it's just as hard to meet a single girl of that age but part of this is because you tend to go out less. I know most of my friends don't go out half as much as they used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The age gap is fine. Look at it this way "when you're 48 he'll be chasing other women".

Advertisement