Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Att kings/queens of entertainment food

• 05-09-2006 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

hi

Having brithday party and in need of ideas for main course (preferably meat) 35-40 people. Not a sit down dinner more buffet and needs to be cooked/prepared 1 day in advance. I have the salads, quiches(sp) fish, vegetarian, nibbles, sweets, cakes, etc but stuck for the main.

there must be plenty of entertainement kings and queens out there so any suggestions appreciated!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Depends what you want, really. When you say 'not sit down', do you want something that can be eaten standing with a plate and fork? If you did some of the staples would be chili con carne or mild chicken curry, both served with rice. You could roast a pile of pre-marinated chicken drumsticks, wings and pork ribs and serve with potato wedges. I mean, you could even just do cocktail sausages, sausage rolls and chips - it depends whether you want easy food, quick food, food that everyone will like - and what sort of resources do you have to prepare it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Winnie001

Quiche & Salads would be plenty - I would consider Quiche a main course

Shepherds Pie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The trick with "not sit down" is to remember that the eater can use at most one hand to feed themselves. So nothing that requires a knife. Even better if you can get away with no fork either.

Chili con carne, served with tortilla chips.....always a winner.

Goulasch with crusty white bread.

Curry with naan breads

All the above are great reheated. Just remember that reheating for that number may be a problem...on a 4-ring cooker you need to reheat for 10 people on each ring.

Stuff like drumsticks etc. are also "utensil-lite", but have the advantage that you can warm them up in the oven en masse.

Realistically, you might need a mix of oven and stove-top choices, unless you've a serious kitchen,

Me...I'd BBQ for 20 people, shove it off into the oven, and BBQ for the other 20. When set 2 is ready, produce all food onto big tables, and stand back. Only works in summer though ;)

jc

Advertisement