Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying scope From USA

Options
  • 05-09-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

has anyone purchased equipment from the opticszone.com?

am on the market for a new scope and rangefinder but if i buy them with the opticszone it comes to a total of 800euro(inc VAT+Shipping) for a VXIII scope and a RXIII rangefinder. in ireland the price rockets to 1250 for a SECONDHAND VXIII Luepold and 450 for a basic rangefinder.

i dont mind the wait for the export license but i have been told from a sales rep for burris in the UK, that the manufacturer wont cover the warrenty if not bought from a certified partner. is this true?

if anyone has any other avenues to go down to buying across the pond or foreign soil, i'd appreciate it immensely.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭triskell

i bought burris signature from www.bearbasin.com last year no probs, i had it a couple of months when i had a slight mishap (i acciddently removed the elevation turret :D )i returned it to burris 14 dys later i got a nice shiny new one. most of the loopies have a lifetime warranty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Sounds like the UK dealer is trying to intimidate you into a sale.If the US companyis selling it they will be able to service/replace it as well.
    Unless this is state of the art milspec equipment that you cannot buy over the counter in the US in a gunshop.You do not need an export liscense.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭gouldian

I bought my last two Leupold scopes from the optic zone. Great guy to deal with. Shipping should be about $22.00 per scope. The US state dept will require your full name & address details before granting the export licence which then takes about three weeks to issue. They won't allow mil dot scopes to be exported (though this type is for sale regularly on eBay) but there should be no problem with other reticles.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

Thanks for the info guys, any problem with the customs & excise this end ??

Am I on the right track with this scope its a 6.5-20x50 , going to scope up a 223.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Try getting them to post it by USPS and not UPS as it has a better chance of getting past customs unnoticed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Don't think it makes a difference who it is shipped by, whether it be the US Post or United Parcel Service. I think it is based on value and weight so expect to pay some duty on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Maybe so, but anything I've brought in by UPS has been caught by customs including an item bought from Sinclair for $60. Anything brought in by USPS, including a Weaver T36 scope, escaped. Not sure what way they work out duty and VAT but it damn near doubles the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

I think the difference is that they have their own custom service in UPS while USPS shippings go through An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

UPS do in fact charge the various duties themselves on behalf of customs - so everything is caught. They also however charge you extra for this 'service'.

SO: you pay UPS for postage - you pay the import duties - you pay import duties on the postage as well - you pay UPS for doing customs job - you pay customs through your PAYE anyway - then you get to wait up to two weeks for UPS to get enough deliveries together to justify sending a van to your area.

I won't buy anything if they only use UPS - it's not worth it - USPS is the ONLY option unless you actually like getting screwed.

I love to rant :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

As I've said before in a previous thread (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054952959), I've dealt with the Optic Zone before, and will do so again.
    I've found them to be nothing other than helpful and friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

You could always try this bunch ...

Prices seem very good .. in NZ Dollars .. so use xe.com to convert it .
    VX-III 6.5-20x40mm Extended Focus Range Target

Specially designed to see the details necessary for accurate shots on small targets, be they as close as 10 meters or out beyond the 1000 yard line, the VX-III 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target scope is an excellent choice for target shooters and varmint hunters alike. The specially designed adjustable objective allows for close focusing to as near as 10 meters. Ideal for air rifle and .22 rimfire target shooters as well as small varminters.

VX-III 6.5-20x40mm EFR Target Matte
    LP55152 Fine Duplex
    LP55154 Target Dot $1191

That works out at €603.00

Link... http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/leupold4.htm

gouldian wrote:
    I bought my last two Leupold scopes from the optic zone. Great guy to deal with. Shipping should be about $22.00 per scope. The US state dept will require your full name & address details before granting the export licence which then takes about three weeks to issue. They won't allow mil dot scopes to be exported (though this type is for sale regularly on eBay) but there should be no problem with other reticles.

Dunno why they would be so paranoid about "mil dot"scopes.It isnt any state secret anymore and you can buy Leupold mil dot tactical scopes in Europe over the counter.Considering they originally came from Germany and are still made there.
    As for UPS/USPS.I always got shafted with USPS as they have a compleate bunch of A££EHO^&S doing their delivery here in Ireland, a company of incompetants and crooks called GLS.:mad: :mad: NEVER deal with them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

I always got shafted with USPS as they have a compleate bunch of A££EHO^&S doing their delivery here in Ireland, a company of incompetants and crooks called GLS. NEVER deal with them!

Too true !! Steer well clear of GLS they are woeful bad :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I agree with lurcher I insist it comes through USPS - had a big fight with UPS over childrens clothes last year that I ordered as a gift while living in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Anything I've had from USPS or the UK post office has been delivered by the friendly local postman in recent years. For a while they were delivered by GLS, and I had fierce problems with them, but no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

GLS or General Logistics Services used to have the contract for UPS to deliver in Ireland, however after many Fúckups they lost the contract somewhere around 2 years ago.
    I hated them also.
    I wonder what will happen to postal service when An Post is stolen from us and sold (privatised)? I would guess that parcels will be much more rigorously checked and duty applied as a revenue stream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

USPS stuff will get delivered by An Post. If you're worried about getting snared for import tax you could have the scope sent to a friend in the US, have the the friend re-pack it with the contents listed as 'gift worth $100' (or whatever) and send it to you.

The down side is if it gets broken, any insurance you get on it will only be worth the value that was given.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

iremex wrote:
    Thanks for the info guys, any problem with the customs & excise this end ??
    Address it to
    123 Whatever Street
    Anytown
    Co Kerry (or whatever)
    UK

It will land in UK, who can't take customs from you but will forward it to An Post who cannot take customs as its coming from UK

A little bird told me that trick, it works the opposite direction too, e.g. anything coming to me is addressed to Ireland even if I'm (technically) in UK in the north. An Post give it to Parcel Force / Royal Mail who deliver it to me.

Job done. :D

Nice one!!;) :D

CJhaughey wrote:
    GLS or General Logistics Services used to have the contract for UPS to deliver in Ireland, however after many Fúckups they lost the contract somewhere around 2 years ago.
    I hated them also.

I think you mean United States Postal Service...no??
    United Parcel Service always delivered their own here methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No I mean UPS , maybe in the big towns and cities UPS deliver their own but out in the boondocks they had GLS doing the runs.
    I only made the mistake of ordering through UPS once. ;)
    Since then USPS all the way.

Fair enough, you're probably right
    CJhaughey wrote:
    maybe in the big towns and cities UPS deliver their own but out in the boondocks they had GLS doing the runs.

hah..i'm so far out in the stix, the last thing i ordered with DHL ,the postman delivered it :D

BTW saw this on youtube..ignore what he is replying to...just listen to what he says and imagine a nice shiny leupold ............:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

did you think of trying ebay,ive got 2 of the new burris black diamonds way cheaper in the states,normally the postage is ups from the states then the local postman picks it up on this end and delivers as normal.Because your buying from e bay you are buying from a private citizan not a company so you cant get caught for import duty,if you ask the seller to state on the package as an "sample" or "gift"

Advertisement