Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cancelling bb accounts

• 05-09-2006 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me. I recently signed up to Magnet broadband, and when I was speaking to the sales person I was adamant about making sure that both static ip and port forwarding would be possible with the package. however, since I began using the broadband, it has become clear that neither are possible. I am seriously considering terminating my contract as they are not, in my opinion, holding up their end of the bargain, seeings as I only took up their offer on the grounds of being able to set up a static ip and forward ports.

see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054986991

I don't like being messed around by isps (who does!!) and am just wondering if anyone knows where I stand on this legally...

cheers,
    pinky.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pinksoir wrote:
    I'm just wondering if anyone could help me. I recently signed up to Magnet broadband, and when I was speaking to the sales person I was adamant about making sure that both static ip and port forwarding would be possible with the package. however, since I began using the broadband, it has become clear that neither are possible. I am seriously considering terminating my contract as they are not, in my opinion, holding up their end of the bargain, seeings as I only took up their offer on the grounds of being able to set up a static ip and forward ports.

see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054986991

I don't like being messed around by isps (who does!!) and am just wondering if anyone knows where I stand on this legally...

cheers,
    pinky.

Starting a second thread on the subject is not going to get you anywhere. Unless you have your conversation documented I doubt that you have a leg to stand on - this problem with magnet has been flagged here many times - moral of the story is caveat emptor. You can post here as often as you like but its not going to get you anywhere - get on to Magnet and state your case - no substitute for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

yeah, probably should have posted this in the old thread. ah well. I did get on to magnet but they are unhelpful as can be. it doesn't state anywhere in the contract about port forwarding, etc, so i was really seeing if anyone had any advice to give re: legality. oh, and the conversation may have been recorded, as I hope it was...

whats that... caveat emptor...something about a tie...?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

pinksoir wrote:
    yeah, probably should have posted this in the old thread. ah well. I did get on to magnet but they are unhelpful as can be. it doesn't state anywhere in the contract about port forwarding, etc, so i was really seeing if anyone had any advice to give re: legality. oh, and the conversation may have been recorded, as I hope it was...

whats that... caveat emptor...something about a tie...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caveat_emptor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

I understand were you are coming as something similar happened myself with a NTL sales person telling me the service I wanted to sign up for was uncontended. I could not believe this so I held off on the order until I checked the contention ratio on there websie and found it to be contended. Result : No sale for NTL that time round.

What I would advise is approach Com Reg and register a complaint with them also ask them help you resolve this issue for you. Com Reg powers is considered by some as a toothless dog and com reg will probably say something like "make sure to educate yourself about what you buy/sign up for" but you should argue that this kind of information is never listed in the T's&C's (I am assuming its not) and this kind of false sales information is just not on specially when you are signing up for a contract.

Also how recently did you sign up? As you may have a get out clause within earlier days of the contract (I assume there is a contract?) this should definatly be listed in the T's&C's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

cheers,
    I am not completely familiar with this Com Reg of which you speak. However, I am sure that no information was given about opening ports within the contract. The static ip issue is another thing altogether, many ISPs do charge for a static ip. But it is more for the fact that the sales person told me I would be able to have a static ip along with the package I was going for.

To answer your other question, I signed up about a week and a half ago, and there was a 7 day 'cooling off period' which I am pretty sure is up.

dub45, I am, well aware what caveat emptor means, I only put in the joke at the end of my last post as I judged from your self righteous undertone and generally unhelpful comment that you would be the type of person to reply with a witty quip. This time in the form of a link to wikipedia. Well done!

• Advertisement
Advertisement