Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop q?!

• 05-09-2006 9:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Here i go with another question... different laptop this time

I have an old laptop. Only 128mB etc etc

Anyhu.. it has always worked grand but when i turned it on today some of the keys would not work. So now i can even log onto the damn thing!

Thing is... i def know that the keys didnt get wet or hit.

any ideas what might cause this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to laptop forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

First check the keyboard in Device Manager from the System applet in Control Panel and see if there are any exclamation marks by it (yellow), if so uninstall the keyboard and restart. See if that makes any difference. Any specific keys not working or just random ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Also make sure the FN key (if it has one) isn't pressed down or being held down.
    I have seen some cases where this was happening and because some laptops have the numeric keypad as a FN+whatever key alternative some numbers were coming up instead of letters.
    Just an idea...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Cant even log onto the computer to check device manager

Tried the fn key but to no avail.

Random letters are not working

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Does the F8 key work so you can bring up the startup menu and get into safe mode?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

If it's an older OS, un-plug external devices and boot into MS-DOS (F5 usually to get the menu, otherwise: F8) and test each key at the command prompt. Any repeating? Which keys aren't working?

Plug in an external keyboard to confirm. Quite likely it's a hardware fault (Age, lifting it incorrectly, shifting in casing/keyboard from overheating, or any number of reasons. )

Advertisement