Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee - mild to strong

• 05-09-2006 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭

For filter/plunger coffee
    Just wondering if you like your coffee mild, could you not just buy the strong coffee and use less of it ? Or am I missing something.

And re. buying coffee beans : does anyone have any recommended places for buying beans in bulk in town ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Just wondering if you like your coffee mild, could you not just buy the strong coffee and use less of it ? Or am I missing something.

And re. buying coffee beans : does anyone have any recommended places for buying beans in bulk in town ?

When I worked in the Cafes years ago, people used to sometimes order a pot of coffee and a pot of hot water and then mix these to get the desired strength of coffee. You can do the same by just adding less grounds at the beginning too.
    Temple Bar market, David Kelly, he runs the stand called Arosa coffee, he sells some beautiful coffees.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

QUOTE]

If you feel you have to water down your coffee you are probably drinking the wrong coffee!! I understand what you are saying....I did it for years, but You are loosing some of the flavours by watering it down.

I would suggest a less strong/lighter roast and make it full strenght, That way you will get more flavour from your coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Gentleman

This could be an interesting thread.

Are any of you coffee coinnoisseurs willing to share the love?

I'd like to know how to make perfect coffee.

There is no mystery to it....

1.Good quality water, filtered or bottled. This may seem extreme but the quality of water really has an influence on the taste of coffee.

2. The correct grind, ie course for plunge pot of fine for espresso machine, and so on.

3.Heat! If you are using an espresso machine make sure it is well warmed up before using it, if you are using a plunge pot warm it before hand....and warm the cup you are going to use.

4. The coffee.....fresh coffee is so improtant when trying to make a perfect cup. If you want to make a dramatic improvement in your coffee quality for very little money buy one of those cheap hand grinders.....Grinding your own beans (oo errr nurse) makes a huge difference over buying pre ground coffee. Ground coffee begins to loose its flavour within about 20 mins of being ground.

This guy is down the temple bar market every saturday http://www.ariosacoffee.com/ buy your coffee from him! (if you are based in dublin)

Sorry just noticed Blub2k4 already mentioned ariosa coffee....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I have one of those cheap hand grinders which grinds it pretty coarse, ideal for the plunger.
    A bit of advise I was told a long time ago: After adding the water to the pot, give it a good stir; and just before you plunge, remove the lid and give it another good stir.

Advertisement