Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anthropology.....Psychology

Options
  • 05-09-2006 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Didnt get the denominated psychology in 1st or 2nd rounds. Got the Arts degree!! So I was thinking of studying Anthropology in the Arts degree with psychology and something else. Really hoping to get into 2nd year psychology but incase i dont Anthropology sounds quite interesting! Can anyone fill me in on what it's about? or anything else regarding it?? Never even heard of it until i opened the nuim prospectus today!

Also if anyone has any advice on doing psychology through arts cos what i've heard so far is negative, negative, negative!!

Thanks maynoothians!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

As far as I know about psychology, you are competing with other first years for a limited number of places in the single-honours psychology degree in second year. I'm not sure but I'd imagine that you compete on the basis of exam results.

As for Anthropology, I'm going into second year now and there was never any question of whether I wanted to keep it on. A lot of people find it hard to grasp or else aren't interested enough to try. But if like me, you find it interesting then it's a fantastic subject to take. The lecturers are great and some of the ethnographies (the nice books in Anthropology) are highly enjoyable and read like novels. If you're starting soon then you'll probably have a day where each department tries to sway undecided students with introductory lectures. If you go to that, you'll be sold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

ah, thanks! was talking to a friends friends last night and she did it and loves it! is it true that 50% of it is continual assessment?

as far as i know no matter how many people go into 1st year psychology only 30 people (the top 30) get through into 2nd year! so looks like im gonna have to work really hard to get my place!

so basically i need two subjects that i'll get on okay with and wont have to work too hard at so i can concentrate on psychology!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beesnees

hiya i'm going into 2nd year psychology this yr. i came in through the MH106 route, however i know a few ppl who did it through arts and got in!! to be honest its not as competitive in 1st year because they have increased the number of places from 15 to 30. if you really want to get in, do subjects which are a doss basically!
    your right about the continual assessment! i'm not sure if its 50% but its def alot. psych is a heavier subject in terms of work load throughout the year. but dont stress too much with it! cos 2nd year (i've been told) is a hell of a lot worse!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ultanmac

is it true that 50% of it is continual assessment?

I'm not sure if it's 50% but continuous assesment isn't always necessarily a good thing; eg. If you decide to take Anthropology, you'll have an exam four weeks into the course for which you'll have to have read two books. As well as that, around the same time you might have to write and perform a short dramatic performance in you tutorial.
    so basically i need two subjects that i'll get on okay with and wont have to work too hard at so i can concentrate on psychology!

I wouldn't recommend Anthropology as a subject that you dont have to work too hard at! The reading for it is quite heavy and time-consuming, and some of it is hard to obtain. From my expierience last year, the only thing with a heavier reading list was English. For subjects that you dont have to work too hard at, I would recommend History and Classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Id do the anthropology if i were you. Did it last year and there was hardly any workload. Was really easy as its all continuous assessment and common sense .

We had to write two essays, (made easier by the fact that we could first write a draft , this would be peer edited, and handed back to us to make a few changes to gain a few extra marks). For the exams, (one for each module given at the end of each)All you have to do is have a good idea of the books (pick a few key moments) and an idea of the lecturers main points.

You get loads of credit for participation in tutorials , eg do a silly little play thing (my group met once for an hour , drew up a main outline and improvised the rest , we got the 10% going for it. I'd recommend you try to get in a group with one or two enthusiastic looking mature students. If you get in a group of lazy feckers just looking for a doss you WILL end up doing all the work.

I'd say 80% of my learning was from the tutorials . My tutorials were geared towards the exams so we all had a fair idea what would come up (she practically showed us for one!). Was grand for Christmas and summer exams as I could concentrate on my other two subjects.

• Advertisement
Advertisement