Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stira Attic stairs Opinions ????

• 05-09-2006 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Folks,

Any opinions in regards to Stira Attic stairs.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

My parents got one fitted a few years back and never gave a problem. they usually have to cut the hole in the ceiling bigger.They finish it off with architrave around the edges, looks quite well. never had a problem and it makes access so easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Macker1 wrote:
    Folks,

get the bigger one, much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Sure its been "Seen on the Late Late Show" ...
    It must be the bset ... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Folks got one recently. Fitter was in and out in about 3 hours. Very neat finish and no mess. The Stairs are great for easy attic access and very soliid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Macker1 wrote:
    Folks,

2 words....GET ONE

Best home improvement ever made in 10yrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Macker1 ...
    Got one in meself about a year ago ... Nice job, Guy in and out in about 2 hours but there is a waiting list for installations ... Could be a couple of months as it can be one of the first things that people get done in new houses ...
    You could also buy one for 1/3 the price in Atlantic and get one of the lads to give you a hand putting it into place ! ... Just an option ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My dad installed his himself, was reasonable straight forward, he still hasn't sorted a bit of moulded timber around it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

does it have to be Stira? I bought a Dolle in Clondalkin Builder Providers for €120 and fitted it myself and it's the business.

Fitting it was a bit tricky as my joists were way off level, but I remember getting loads of leaflets in the door offering supply and fitting for under €200, which I think is way cheaper than Stira.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi Guys
    For any of you would be DIYers out there check out this link for one man installation

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infatticstairs/installing_attic_stairs.shtm

Regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

I've got one three weeks ago, for 500 euro delivered and installed.

They will install it, only if they don't have to cut the wood joists.

I had to order the size that was matching the existing hole in the ceiling (66cm).

They've cut only the plaster board and a bit of the wood joist in the middle.

The installation was ok (not super) and the ladder is ok (I am not sure if it is much better than others) the survey was done in two days and the installation was done after one week and it was done in two hours.

I would say that the price was 200 euro for the ladder and 300 euro for the installation.

Regards,

Mendo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ddea

Get one where the ladder continues up into the attic and you can step off the ladder directly onto the attic floor. Most basic versions that I have seen have the highest step of the ladder at ceiling/architrave height and nothing to hold on to above this height. This makes it a lot more awkward getting up to and down out off the attic. It usually means you'll be on your hands and knees on both journeys on a dusty attic floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 borotom

mendo wrote: »
    I've got one three weeks ago, for 500 euro delivered and installed.

They will install it, only if they don't have to cut the wood joists.

I had to order the size that was matching the existing hole in the ceiling (66cm).

They've cut only the plaster board and a bit of the wood joist in the middle.

The installation was ok (not super) and the ladder is ok (I am not sure if it is much better than others) the survey was done in two days and the installation was done after one week and it was done in two hours.

I would say that the price was 200 euro for the ladder and 300 euro for the installation.

Regards,

Mendo
    i got one installed last week and they're a great job but i'm looking to get a safety rail for around the opening but nobuilding suppliers seem to have anything for it . anyone got any ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

borotom wrote: »
    i got one installed last week and they're a great job but i'm looking to get a safety rail for around the opening but nobuilding suppliers seem to have anything for it . anyone got any ideas

just make a hand rail. any of the ladders i fitted i just biult a rail around three sides of it using 3x2 prepared

i was going to do that but i don't think it would be that sturdy. i'm putting my computer up ther and my nephew will be up there a lot . he' autistic and i'd be afraid he'd fall through it. i was thinking along the lines of a metal one but there doesn't seem to be any for sale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭cork2

borotom wrote: »
    i was going to do that but i don't think it would be that sturdy. i'm putting my computer up ther and my nephew will be up there a lot . he' autistic and i'd be afraid he'd fall through it. i was thinking along the lines of a metal one but there doesn't seem to be any for sale

make it from 3x2, screw it to the floor, screw all sides together, sheet it with mdf and hinge an mdf panel in front of the ladder done properly its plenty strong enough.

Thanks I'll try that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Stira make one for €99, see their website. About to get a Stira installed with this and insulation hood.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Installed one in my Dads last weekend and doing mine next weekend.

Got them in Heiton Buckleys for 99 euro. Have to say there are a great job.

We wouldn't be speedy workers so it took us 6 hours from starting to getting the architrave around the opening, holes filled and bit of painting done.

The hand rail will be a DIY.

thanks i'll try buckleys on monday

i tried buckleys they said they never sold any thing like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They have wooden attic stairs in Woodies at the moment. We had a Stira installed maybe 15 years ago though, and it is the best money we ever spent on the house. Get a wider one and make sure there is enough clearance on the ground and in the attic to get in and out easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've a pain in my as....., er I mean my neck getting the ladder out of the shed to get stuff from the attic everytime herself decides she wants something down, so I too was thinking about either doing a diy job or getting a stira fitted. However, if stira won't cut through existing joists, does this mean that you are limited by the existing opening then? How much room do you need on the ground floor to get the ladder down as my attic hatch is above a 3ft wide hallway with teh joists running perpendicular to the hallway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I note the comments about making sure that the stairs runs up into the attic and doesn't stop at joist level. Makes perfect sense.

My question is this: do Stira stairs do this? If so, is it something you have to specify? i.e. order extra length?

Thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

a big mistake people make when buying is the size.

Most modern houses have 600mm centers which makes the space between joists 550mm.

Go into attic and measure first. Make sure there is clearance for the stairs to unfold into you landing. They all will accommodate an 8' ceiling

I supply and fit attic ladders for 250 euro finished with 3" architrave . Dont pay anymore than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Maybe they have changed their policy, but Stira took a section of rafter out as they were too close together to get into the attic, and there has never been any problem with it at all. 20 (ish) years later it still gives superb service and was a great investment.

Spoke with Stira and this is what they suggest........

http://uk.stira.com/products/rail-around

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

looksee wrote: »
    Maybe they have changed their policy, but Stira took a section of rafter out as they were too close together to get into the attic, and there has never been any problem with it at all. 20 (ish) years later it still gives superb service and was a great investment.
    getting one too big can be problematic. It can do done, but do you really want to cut ceiling joists in you home when a 550mm can be bought.

Im guessing you home has 400mm or 16" rafter spacing . Thats why it needed to be done.

I love the way stira say on that link that the hand rails are made to order.

lol. they rough cut the 3x1 rails with a hand saw . 6 cuts job done. 10min install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Any ideas how to go about insulating the door that a Stira is attached to?

The Stira, when folded up and with the door closed, is not flush with the floor in that attic, its like this

so this Stira Hood will not work as it needs to be flush with the floor in the attic
    http://ie.stira.com/products/stira-hood

and anyway €299 for that is way too expensive.

I bought mine for €99.

The trapdoor is insulated with solid insulation - it's about 50mm thick - so you don't have to worry about insulating it.

I think I bought it from Buckley's.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Well unfortunately I do need to worry about insulating my stira door.

Its over 10years old and has no insulation in it/around it.
    Its the same as this link.

Advertisement