Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi 310/360 Question

Options
  • 05-09-2006 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've been vascillating between ordering purchasing a Airis T920 now, which has the latest Navteq Q2 2006 maps now and waiting a few months for a Garmin Nuvi 310 or 360 with update maps. Decisons, decisions.

One thing I may like about the Garmin Nuvi is it's popup "next turn" feature which looks very clear and gices detailed information about the next turn well in advance of reaching it. Can a Garmin Nuvi user confirm that the device can be switched to this mode and will remain in it while navigating a route (in preference to showing a moving map display)? I like the idea of knowing the detailed layout of a turn kilometers before I get to it :-)

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Here is a good pictorial review not sure if it is what you are looking for.
    Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Colly wrote:
    Linky

Thanks Colly!

I'd come across that review myself and it's pretty detailed.

[IMAGE="http://gpsinformation.info/nuvi/20signalturn.jpg"]

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Colly wrote:
    Linky

Thanks Colly!

I'd come across that review myself and it's pretty detailed. The mode I'm interested in is the one shown in this pic.

Anyone know if this mode can be left on during navigation and whether it automatically updates as you progress through each turn?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

no question about it go for the garmin. Nuvi 310 for uk and ireland, nuvi 360 for europe the bluetooth feature alone is seriously impressive, mates with all bluetooth phones and pulls your phonebook over as well and has no mike required! mp3/j peg playback off your sd card and will take aux in from mp3 players with aux out!! i.e. sonys gt range. knock out deal at Deevys Motor Accessories in clonmel nuvi 310 at 400.00 euros!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

does anyone know if it's possible to get mapping for North America for the Airis? Also, when Navteq so update their maps for Ireland, how will Airis users be able to get the update? Is there a website for Airis or support site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

A very short question.
    I am a toal novice in the world of GPS.
    I purchased the Garmin Nuvi 310 ma few days ago and so far I am hapy with it. The coverage for Dublin is very god bt down the country, it is not so god.
    A few weks ago (before I bought the device) I was in a taxi and the taxilady was telling me that the current version (8.0) was to be changed soon by 9.0 and that the update would be for free. She also said that every single local road in the country would be mapped!
    Can someone confirm that the upgrade from 8 to 9 will actulay be free or what is the policy of Garmin in these cases. One could argue that they bought a "detailed map of Ireland" device when indeed the coverage outside Dblin is not so great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 focusman

Do the Nuvi 360 and 310 models both use the same updates?

I also am keen on getting one of these, but again it all depends how good the Irish mapping is....or will be...?

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

focusman wrote:
    Do the Nuvi 360 and 310 models both use the same updates?

I also am keen on getting one of these, but again it all depends how good the Irish mapping is....or will be...?

Allegedly, the new version 9.0 will have 100% coverage of Ireland (including the local roads) so it should be good.

Hi again,

I contacted Garmin Europe Ltd this morning and this was their response:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Garmin Europe Ltd.

Yes version 9 mapping does have full coverage of Ireland and Northern
    Ireland.

It will hopefully be released in a few weeks time.

If you purchase a Nuvi now you will be entitled to a free upgrade when the
    new version is released.

I hope this helps and please do not hesitate to contact us with further
    questions.

Best Regards

Jimmy Blacknell

Product Support Garmin (Europe) Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

Hi,

I bought a 310 last weeek from http://www.mysatnav.ie

Was told not to register the unit until the new year in oredr to ensure that I qualify for the upgrade.

One thing that is annoying me annoying me with the Garmin unit is that if there is a roundabout or turn in lets say 2km, a liitle notice on the bottom right hand corner of the screen that says turn in 2 km. It does not say if its right or left or which exit it is of the roundabout until you are a few hundred metres away from the corner/roundabout. This does not leave much time to get in lane. I was using Destinator PN on a PDA, and this always told you well in advance, both verbally and visually exactly what the corner/roundabout was like ahead.

• Advertisement

Other than that, do you find the 310 to be a good buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

thegoth wrote:
    Hi,
    One thing that is annoying me annoying me with the Garmin unit is that if there is a roundabout or turn in lets say 2km, a liitle notice on the bottom right hand corner of the screen that says turn in 2 km. It does not say if its right or left or which exit it is of the roundabout until you are a few hundred metres away from the corner/roundabout. This does not leave much time to get in lane. I was using Destinator PN on a PDA, and this always told you well in advance, both verbally and visually exactly what the corner/roundabout was like ahead.

You hardly need to know 2km which way you will be turning. It notifies you 120mtrs in advance. Most roads in Ireland are single lane anyway. Also there is a panel you can choose to show you a list of turns not just the one ahead, kind of a split screen mode one side is map next is the turn and how far. I like it my only issue is with only one via point but that is not a huge issue and I would definitely advice it to my friends. Get the European map one.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thegoth

When your in the city, it would be good to know what lane you need to be in earlier than 120m before a turn.

I would definitly recommend the Nuvi 310. I would prefer if there was more advance warnings for the type of turn ahead. It have be fixed in version 9.

Buy it. You will not be disappointed.

Advertisement