Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the UK a foreign country?

Options
  • 05-09-2006 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

The Republic of Ireland is not recognised as a foreign country under British law. The term "Republic of Ireland" can be substituted for "Éire" in the UK. The term "Ireland" refers to the island of Ireland and not the sovereign state. This still has force of law in the UK.

Is the UK recognised as a foreign country in Ireland? And as the ROI is 100% independant from the UK, under their law it is not recognised as a foreign nation, even to this day. In that case, the ROI is not a sovereign state under British law. Why is this? Does it mean that they could legally invade Ireland during the next world war?!

Under EU law, are Ireland and the UK recognised as one foreign entity or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Does it mean that they could legally invade Ireland during the next world war?!

Only if WW3 is fought by lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Does it mean that they could legally invade Ireland during the next world war?!

They couldnt in the last one, so why the next one.

Well to be more accurate Churchill tried bullying deVelera to give back the treaty ports to fight the atlantic war and it was rumoured he threats went as far as full out military occupation (I could be wrong though). Seeing as that was Britain's darkest hour and the military occupation never came to light, its got to be something pretty horrific for some Prime minister to have the b*lls to do something like that when the distinction both politically and cultural between the two states is much larger now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Only if WW3 is fought by lawyers.

thats gonna be one ugly war!

not to mention the lawyers that we have will drag out the conflict for years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    They couldnt in the last one, so why the next one.

Well to be more accurate Churchill tried bullying deVelera to give back the treaty ports to fight the atlantic war and it was rumoured he threats went as far as full out military occupation (I could be wrong though). Seeing as that was Britain's darkest hour and the military occupation never came to light, its got to be something pretty horrific for some Prime minister to have the b*lls to do something like that when the distinction both politically and cultural between the two states is much larger now.

I think, though not 100% sure that he said something like " we should take back dublin and spread out" I think that was said during the civil war but tbh I'm not sure of the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well Straffan and specifically The K club is subject to UK law for the duration of the Ryder Cup. This is one of the conditions of Ireland getting awarded the Ryder Cup.

The irony of somewhere outside the Pale being part of the UK appeals to me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

magick wrote:
    thats gonna be one ugly war!

not to mention the lawyers that we have will drag out the conflict for years!

Only if they get paid in advance and constant refresher payments!

Yes, but we get on with them because they speak our language...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Well Straffan and specifically The K club is subject to UK law for the duration of the Ryder Cup. This is one of the conditions of Ireland getting awarded the Ryder Cup.

Proof please.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Only just read this. Tbh, I didn't think it could happen, the Government cannot simply assign sovereignty over some part of this country and change the legal system in a certain area for a weekend or two.

Can anyone get a source for this or is it completely made up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

We are all related anyway in one way or another through blood, language & customs, and since the good friday agreement & in particular (the council of the isles) we are on a parallell footing with the UK (England/Scotland/NI/Wales) + the Isle of Man and the Channel islands! so really we might as well be in the UK now (2006) or as we were in 1922, not that it really matters one way or the other, we are free to choose our destiny the same as everybody else in the British Isles is free to choose which identity they want & which flag represents them ........ So is the UK a "Foreign Nation"? NO ~ Not as far as I am concerned, although most might disagree, and obviously on a superficial basis the UK has Devolved Governments & obviously the Dail is Not one of those devolved, & is free to do what it likes, but so is the Manx Government & so is the Scottish Parliament, & so is the Welsh assembly! but then if you look at the (Bigger picture) we might as well be one of theose devolved Governments (think ID cards)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

No matter how much you would like it to be - The RoI is not in the UK and it does matter.

You talk about devolved government in Scotland as if the Scottish are independent. If they were, I doubt very much if her young people would be blown up in Iraq, in Afganistan. I doubt very much if the Greater Glasgow area would be home to a massive store of Weapons of Mass Destruction. I doubt very much if the Scottish government would be imprisoning families including children because they are asylum seekers. Devolution has given some control to the Scottish people but not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Blue37

You talk about devolved government in Scotland as if the Scottish are independent. If they were, I doubt very much if her young people would be blown up in Iraq, in Afganistan.

What's your point?? It's not like the wee lads and lassies were forcibly frogmarched onto transport planes by their evil English overlords :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

aurthur the scots & welsh assemblies cant do what they like. they have powers over tax & education but that is as far as it goes.
    the british crown is still in full control of them.

aurthur the isle of mann is NOT part of the uk. its an independant country but it is a crown dependancy/principality. they have their own parlaiment called the house of keys and they are fully in control (taxation, law, etc..)

Ireland is a fully independant, soveriegn state.
    we are free citizens of ireland and not royal subjects.

the first post shocked me and i will be emailing dermot ahern as soon as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Is the UK recognised as a foreign country in Ireland? And as the ROI is 100% independant from the UK, under their law it is not recognised as a foreign nation, even to this day

You are referring to the Ireland Act, 1949 (which was passed in the UK)
    yes it does say "...the Republic of Ireland is not a foreign country..."
    however it might have since been repealed?

The Belfast agreement/Good Friday Agreement, 1998 recognises that there are two states -the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland

but even if the provision is still in force it doesn't matter, as the UN, EU and all the other important internation bodies of today recognise Ireland as a country in its own right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I just remembered, under the good friday agreement retified by the people of this island the term REPUBLIC OF IRELAND is no longer recognised as official by either the Irish or British governments, THIS country is now simply called IRELAND. maybe this abolises & supercedes the 1949 british law?

also the term British Isles has no official or political status, as i was told in an email from dermot ahern. its use by british media is totally pointless but continues.

google 'ireland is not british' and click the wikipedia link and read and also look at what it says about 'british isles'. Sile De Velera would be disowned by Eamonn De Velera after what she said in 2002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Mick86

And as the ROI is 100% independant from the UK, under their law it is not recognised as a foreign nation, even to this day. In that case, the ROI is not a sovereign state under British law.....

There's a British Embassy in Dublin. So they must realise we are a foreign country. Then there's other little things like different flag, different government and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

admiralgar wrote:
    Ireland is a fully independant, soveriegn state.
    we are free citizens of ireland and not royal subjects.

I would disagree with your statement of Ireland being a fully independent soveriegn state. How can it be when EU legislation supercedes so many of our laws? We no longer have our own currency or central bank. The reality is that Ireland is little more than a province of a European empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Blue37 wrote:
    What's your point?? It's not like the wee lads and lassies were forcibly frogmarched onto transport planes by their evil English overlords :rolleyes:

My point is fairly obvious

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Only just read this. Tbh, I didn't think it could happen, the Government cannot simply assign sovereignty over some part of this country and change the legal system in a certain area for a weekend or two.

Can anyone get a source for this or is it completely made up?
    It was done, in Holland I think, for the trials of the Lockerbie bombers where Scotish laws were in use on the military base that they were using for the duration of the trial.

robinph wrote:
    It was done, in Holland I think, for the trials of the Lockerbie bombers where Scotish laws were in use on the military base that they were using for the duration of the trial.

Oh it has been done, but there was a difference between doing it for the trial of international terrosists and doing it for a golf outing.

As noone has sourced it, I presume we file the it alongside the 'asylum seekers get a free merc on arrival in Ireland' story, in the bin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

As noone has sourced it, I presume we file the it alongside the 'asylum seekers get a free merc on arrival in Ireland' story, in the bin...

It's true, the event will be governed by English law.

Source:
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1645736&issue_id=14300
    English law is par for course

PART of the sovereign territory of Ireland is to be brought under English jurisdiction.

Irish law is being supplanted by English law - with the apparent co-operation of the gardai - at the K Club for the duration of the Ryder Cup in September.

The prestigious venue occupies 550 acres of Co Kildare countryside, but for the week of the Ryder Cup (September 18-24) the Michael Smurfit-owned property is being handed over to Ryder Cup Ltd, a group company of the PGA European Tour, based in Surrey.

Ryder Cup Ltd (RCL) will operate all areas with regard to access, security, transport, crowd control and the overall management of the tournament.

A letter to all property owners at the K Club - properties there range in value from about €1.5m to €7m - outlines policies and regulations for the event.

The letter, from K Club chief executive Michael Davern, points out that many of the arrangements and regulations are driven by the stringent security required. He asks for understanding and compliance with the measures.

According to the letter, gardai and RCL have been discussing security at the event and gardai will require the names of all persons who will be residing on site each day and night or visiting any of the residences during the week.

At the end of the detailed list of rules, the letter adds: "These policies and regulations shall be governed and construed under English Law."

All property owners were obliged to return a signed copy of the policies and regulations, signifying agreement to the terms outlined.

The official website of the Ryder Cup spells out the implications of governance under English law.

Referring to use of the website, it says: "These terms shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Any dispute under these terms shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts and, by using this website, you hereby submit to the jurisdiction of such courts for such purposes and waive any and all objections to jurisdiction or venue in such courts., The Irish Independent understands that a number of property owners at the K Club have taken exception to the move.To date, none has commented publicly on the controversy.

Expressing "enormous surprise" at the development, one lawyer pointed out that Irish law differed significantly from English law in that it was implemented in accordance with the Constitution, which copperfastens an individual's property rights, whereas England does not have a written constitution.

"In that respect it may well be a clever move by the organisers of the Ryder Cup" as, by signing such a document, "property owners may well be dispensing with their rights under Irish constitutional law".

However, he said the conditions could include agreement that the matter come under the jurisdiction of a British court.

"There's nothing illegal about it. It's a matter of choice for the parties."

Fine Gael Senator Ulick Burke said he was astounded at the notion that Irish law would be dispensed with in favour of English law for any event being held within the jurisdiction of the State.

It was "even more bizarre" that the organisers were seeking the co-operation of the gardai to implement the measure.

Senator Burke added: "It is also amazing that neither the Sports Minister John O'Donoghue nor Justice Minister Michael McDowell has done anything about this. Are they trying to keep it quiet or do they even know about it?

"It is quite baffling as to how an event that has been planned to such an extent over recent years with the co-operation of so many state organisations is now being run under English law."

The event will be broadcast to 550m homes across the globe,

It is expected to attract daily crowds of up to 45,000 as the professional golfers of Europe defend the trophy against the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Is the UK recognised as a foreign country in Ireland? And as the ROI is 100% independant from the UK, under their law it is not recognised as a foreign nation, even to this day. In that case, the ROI is not a sovereign state under British law. Why is this? Does it mean that they could legally invade Ireland during the next world war?!

Under EU law, are Ireland and the UK recognised as one foreign entity or two?

I am assume that under the Good Friday Agreement that since we change our consitution that the british should have changed their laws in realtion to any time of legal hold that they have over the RoI and the name of the country.

Eire = Ireland (The whole Island)
    Poblacht Na hEireanne = The Republic Of Ireland

IMO.

But yes Britian is a foreign country :)

micmclo wrote:
    It's true, the event will be governed by English law.

:D:D

I can't believe the spin being put on that. Someone should point out that every single day of the week all over Ireland contracts are signed which are subject to the laws of a different jurisdiction eg. any contract for Spanish property contains a clause stating that the contract is governed by the laws of Spain. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Spanish law taking over from Irish law, even though the normal rule is that the law of the country where the contract is signed applies.

Clearly, it is within the powers of parties according the security contracts to insert a clause stating that English contract law governs the matter. To suggest that they have supplanted the criminal law that applies between this state and its citizens is nonsense of the highest order and a non-story.

There's a pretty major distinction between property owners being subject to a UK-based contract relating to their property and saying that the area and everyone in it will be 'governed by UK law'.

But by all means don't let that stop you from sensationalising and misconstruing the facts.

<edit: what he said ^>

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's probably just so they can leave the bar open 24hours then. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

I wonder what would happen if a local refused to sign the Ps and Rs.

Off with their heads?

robinph wrote:
    It's probably just so they can leave the bar open 24hours then. ;)
    The Irish licensing laws will apply to the K-Club the same as anywhere else in the country. All Irish civil and criminal law will still apply inside the K-Club throughout the ryder cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭JaysusMacfeck

Moriarty wrote:
    The Irish licensing laws will apply to the K-Club the same as anywhere else in the country. All Irish civil and criminal law will still apply inside the K-Club throughout the ryder cup.

I was hoping to get my girlfriend up the pole just so I could preform a legal abortion on-site. :(

I was hoping to get my girlfriend up the pole just so I could preform a legal abortion on-site. :(

I shouldn't, but...

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

From the constitution:
    Article 4
    The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland.

Advertisement