Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Road Safety - most proactive Co. Council?

Options
  • 05-09-2006 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭

I spent the last four days touring County Mayo, and I was very impressed with Mayo County Council's efforts to help promote road safety.

Three examples of their proactive policy (which I have yet to see in another county!):

1. Large metal sign on the road to Achill Island which read -
    'USE YOUR DIPPED LIGHTS DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS'
    (and included a picture of a car with lights on).

2. At the 'Gael Force West' county fair in Westport on Sunday, a large mobile banner sign which read 'ROAD SAFETY - TOGETHER WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE' Mayo Co Council.

3. A roadside sign which read - 'A SPEED LIMIT IS NOT A TARGET'
    (incl a diagram of a target beside it with 100kph in the centre).

And more roads than usual (i.e. than in other counties) were lined correctly, i.e. centre white line and yellow side lines ...plus lots of 'cats eye's' in evidence.

AND ......I was amazed at the lack of potholes to be seen!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'll complement them on 2 of the 3, but saying a speed limit is not a target encourages sally slow coach to dodder along at 75-80 in that 100 zone, which pisses most people off and causes road rage...so in effect they are encouraging road rage.

I know that's a slippery slope flawed argument but lots of people have flawed arguments round these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Mayo is a bit of a touris spot so I'd put it down to that. Tourist areas in Wicklow are the same, or so I have noticed anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

kerry/cork are tourist spots and i havent seen anything of these signs on the killed last year, killed so far this year. i think the new ads and those signs in mayo combined with proper driving lessons and good roads will be the only way the death toll will fall!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

ninty9er wrote:
    I know that's a slippery slope flawed argument but lots of people have flawed arguments round these parts

Yup ninty9er - the driver would have to have a personality which is more susceptible to engaging in aggressive behaviour in the first place. It could be argued that such motorists should not be permitted on the road in the first place.

A motorist should adapt their driving to the prevalent traffic conditions. Another driver is perfectly entitled to drive at 80kph in a 100kph LIMIT if they so wish. If other motorists have a problem with that then they need to question whether they should be on the road at all. Motorways usually have a 120kph limit but it is perfectly legal to travel at 50kph.

Road rage , AFAIK, is not legal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

Motorways usually have a 120kph limit but it is perfectly legal to travel at 50kph.

Road rage , AFAIK, is not legal!

Hmmm, is it really legal to do 50km/h on a motorway??

"Road rage" illegal? Are you saying that if I get really really annoyed with another driver I am breaking the law? Perhaps certain manifestations of road rage are illegal but beng pissed off at another driver isn't.

• Advertisement

"Road rage" illegal? Are you saying that if I get really really annoyed with another driver I am breaking the law? Perhaps certain manifestations of road rage are illegal but beng pissed off at another driver isn't.
    Being pissed off in private within the confines of your own vehicle is. of course, perfectly legal but I meant those drivers who engage in deliberate verbally or physical aggression/intimidation.

Re 50kph limit - Vehicles with a maximum speed of less than 50kph are not permitted to use motorways. I would naturally presume that vehicles capable of more than 50kph (and with an internal combustion engine) are permitted.

AFAIK it is perfectly legal to drive a JCB Fastrac tractor on a motorway as it is capable of travelling at more than 50kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,252 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

ninty9er wrote:
    encourages sally slow coach to dodder along at 75-80 in that 100 zone, which pisses most people off and causes road rage...so in effect they are encouraging road rage.

Nothing wrong with someone driving 75-80 on a 100kph road. If someone gets road rage because of that, then they have some real issues.
    Yea wait for somewhere thats safe to over take and do so, simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Keep it on topic chaps, we've yawned though this arugument many times recently :)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

ninty9er wrote:
    saying a speed limit is not a target encourages sally slow coach to dodder along at 75-80 in that 100 zone

Disagree with ya there ninty9er. It is 100% a target. Road conditions might negate that it is not suitable to drive at 100km. I'm usually not one to obey the speed limits exactly but if unsuitable i WILL slow down as to keep my driving safe for me and others. Id much prefere sally slow coach to be doddering along than driving at speeds which she cannt handle thus making her a danger to herself and to others.

And as for road safety drove up the country at the weekend and once you leave Cork and Kerry all counties seem to have much greater awareness of road safety and seem to be far more proactive in promoting it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

One thing I noticed driving through Kilkenny county is the signs forewarning you of speed limit changes.
    ie "60km limit AHEAD"

This gives a chance to begin to slow down beforehand. There are so many spots around the country where you turn a corner and have to slow suddenly cos you've just hit a 50 or 60 zone.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Silvera wrote:

3. A roadside sign which read - 'A SPEED LIMIT IS NOT A TARGET'
    (incl a diagram of a target beside it with 100kph in the centre).

I disagree with this - A Speed limit IS a target.

Well thats what my driving instructor / driving test led me to believe.
    I know for a fact that if I was in a 50/60/100 KM Limit zone and didn't get up to that limit quickly, road conditions permiting, I would have failed my test.

And I know of a few friends who have failed because of this
    Not making progress (or something like that)

Mik

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

It BeeMee wrote:
    One thing I noticed driving through Kilkenny county is the signs forewarning you of speed limit changes.
    ie "60km limit AHEAD"

This gives a chance to begin to slow down beforehand. There are so many spots around the country where you turn a corner and have to slow suddenly cos you've just hit a 50 or 60 zone.

It is a good idea all right

But what happens if you "turn a corner and have to slow suddenly cos you've just hit a " Parked Tractor?:eek:

mik_da_man wrote:
    I know for a fact that if I was in a 50/60/100 KM Limit zone and didn't get up to that limit quickly, road conditions permiting, I would have failed my test.
    That's so the tester can get back for a cup of tea before the next one. ;)

Ask any guards / driving instructer etc... you should only drive at a safe speed and ensure that your vehicle can be stopped. driving a bit slower is ok. only fail you in test if you were going 20km throughout etc... Need to adopt a strategy like australia where one can go between speed x and speed y. Reduces speeding and speed up slow coaches. the speed limit only advises you of the maxium you can travel the road at.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I wouldn't describe the installation of a few signs as being proactive. Its a move that should have been done ages ago.
    Think of the case in Mayo where a woman was killed because the road she was driving on (with white lines etc.) was not given any top (grippy) surface. It was just Dense Bitumen Macadam which when wet is like ice. That the opposite to proactive (dunno the word!)

mik_da_man wrote:
    Well thats what my driving instructor / driving test led me to believe.
    Given that instructors do not even need to have completed a driving test, I wouldn't be inclined to believe everything they say!

Advertisement