Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on fresh install of XP

• 06-09-2006 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok so i'm finally going to wipe my old version of XP and reinstall it. I changed the mobo recently (thanks gline :rolleyes:) and I think i've messed up any chance of getting it booting again... long story, don't ask

Anyway. So I was wondering what is the most efficient way to install windows. I'm going to be running it again on a RAID 0 and i've already streamlined all the drivers and updates onto the XP CD.

I've read that some people seperate a 10gb partition for XP then use the rest for storing files. How does that work though? I mean do you install all the "program files" stuff on a seperate partition? Also once I have it all setup what is the best program for ghosting all my settings for a future reinstall?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

well i got a raptor and 1 have 4 partions on it.1 for windows and small apps ,2 for bigger programs,3 for cach or something ,4 for games ,

but i would say 2 would be fine for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

this should probably be in the comp+tech forum or Windows forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I had my last pc partioned as follows:
    C: operating system 20Gb
    D: page file 5Gb
    D: games 50Gb
    E: storage remainderGb
    Can be quite confusing. Wasn't really happy with it. Having the pagefile in a seperate partion meant absolutely no gain in speed. Installing games meant a little bit more work setting up the folder. I've my new pc set up with 2 raid 0 arrays as follows:
    Raid volume C: 2x 36Gb raptors operating system, games (ones i play often) & benchmark programs
    Raid volume D: 2x 120Gb Seagate storage, kids games, music & other programs
    I also have a 350Gb external hd for backup & my mobo supports eSATA, so i can add another hd externally in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Gline are you looking to become a mod or something ;) Yeah I had 2 windows open one with comp/tech the other with tweak/mod, must of posted here by accident. So a mod can move if they like

Thanks pog. Never heard about a seperate partition for the page file, how do you set that up? Afaik there isn't the option whilst installing XP.

I think I'm going to go with a 2x10GB partitions for windows xp and another OS for backup and troubleshooting. Then 200GB for program files and apps and then the rest for storage. Does this sound good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

L31mr0d wrote:
    Gline are you looking to become a mod or something ;)

no.
    just trying to keep the general issues out of tweaking/modding, like most people

• Advertisement

You just create the extra partion for the pagefile, i made mine 5Gb, install windows normally in the first partion. You then create a new pagefile in the new 5Gb partion & then delete the old 1 in your operating system partion & reboot. Its handy having it this way cos no matter how fragmented or full the operating system partion becomes, it never affects the performance of the pagefile. Doesn't give you any extra performance tho, to get extra performance you'd need to put pagefile on another drive.
    I'm much happier with the set-up i have on new rig with 2 raid arrays. Its less messy as there's less partions. I've left the pagefile where it is. Windows & all my most played games & benchmark progs on the raptors & all my music, pictures, ordinary rarely used programs & all the kids ordinary games on the other raid array.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

If you where do a fresh install of the OS on your OS partition would you then have to reinstall all the programs you have installed on the other partitions? Do you have a way of setting it up that XP picks up all the previously installed programs for a fresh install?

Depends on whether they write to the registry or not. IIRC you can use nlite to copy your registry in2 your new windows install. Never done it myself, some1 correct me if i'm wrong.

Advertisement