Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I ended up getting a Trek 7.1 FX

Options
  • 06-09-2006 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

Ok, I bit the bullet and went for the Trek 7.1 FX. I got yer man down to €350, which I think is pretty good.

Now, what's your philosophies on locks. Some say get one solid, €60 ABUS U-lock. Nother says get two €30 coily-roundy locks, you know, with the solid core cased in stuff. Like a chain.

Any other opinions? No way I want this baby stolen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have been using one of these for the last four years or so without any stealing:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?Main=ProductDetail.aspx&W=0&Manufacturer=&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Locks&ProdID=4000000113&UberCat=0

I've left my bad bike for weeks in the city centre with this lock; my good bike only shorter periods of time dipping into the shops etc. More flexible than a U-Lock in terms of what you can lock the bike to.

Two locks, preferably two different types, is a very good idea. One U-Lock and one cable type like my one.

EDIT: By the way I wouldn't recommend the Specialized locks not due to the lock but because the mounting bracket is absolutely crap and unusable (it also has a tendency to bite your hand.) But Oxford and other manufacturers make similar locks.

€350 seems like a good price for that so well done there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I use two locks: a u-lock and a thick cable lock, both by Kryptonite. They're rated "low to moderate security" so maybe they're not ideal but the fact that there are two of them is the main thing, I reckon. Each set me back about 35 brick.

As an extra precaution, you might also consider a bike alarm. The ones I've seen are contact-triggered. This would probably be more useful when storing your bike in the back garden or shed than on a street or bike park (where someone locking their bike next to yours is likely to set the thing off).

Advertisement