Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Repair?

Options
  • 06-09-2006 2:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    Was just wondering if anyone knew any decent and reasonable places that fix digital camera in Limerick as I recenty broke mine. And also if they offer an estimation of time/price?

Cheers for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Whelans Cameras, 30 O'Connell Street Limerick.
    Mr. Whelan (dunno if he is even still working there) was an expert
    on cameras of old school. His shop had a very good reputation
    but it was also one of the most expensive around!!

I reckon a lot would depend if it was digital or true SLR.
    With digital it may be just a case of chucking it back to the manufactures
    workshop.

I used to do a lot of photography and develop my own stuff in my dark room.
    for ages I was anti digital and I still prefer film but the digital ones
    have evolved so much these days I have not touched film in a few years.

I still feel When you can take a 1000's of shots with a digital and use photoshop to manipulate the images it kinda takes from the art and skill used to take a
    picture with film (even though digital manipulation is an art in iteself)

I Had a Cannon A1 SLR handed down to me from my father who had it in the
    late 70's one of the first cameras ever to have an ALU chip built into it and the camera is still great today. They dont seem to make the same quality lens's that they did back then. Still have a few box cameras someplace also must go look for them.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Try Newmans on Cruises street accross from Charlie Chaplains

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Bernard Whelan is the boss on O'Connell St. A unique character.

Shane Newman is the man on Cruises St. The next generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Whelan's are a rip off and in my experience the staff know very little about digital cameras and not terribly friendly.

Your best bet is to ring the manufacturer's helpline and find the nearest authorized repair center. DEpending on how much you payed for it you might be better off getting a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 stloupe

I recently got a camera repaired at Camera Repair Centre, Dublin. I dont know if they take posted items. You could check out www.camerarepaircentre.com. Hope this will help. Patrick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

wingnut wrote: »
    Whelan's are a rip off and in my experience the staff know very little about digital cameras and not terribly friendly.
    QFT, €70 for a 6" flash cable.

What kind of camera is it? I doubt they'd fix a digital camera in a shop as any component thats broken would usually just be replaced. Your average camera shop won't have many spare parts.

If its a Canon they usually get shipped off to Canon UK for repairs.

Advertisement