Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas feed in fireplace

Options
  • 06-09-2006 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

Moved into a new house in Balbriggan about 2 years ago. Have never used the fireplace, their is a GAS tube sticking up in the fireplace which you connect a GAS fire to. I am wondering if this needs to be disconnected, rang a GAS company and they charge €120 to disconnect a GAS fire ! Now I dont have a GAS fire, I just want someone to check it to see if its safe to light a natural fire..

Has anybody had this done and who did you use?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

Not sure on the gas side of things, but check that the hearth is in 2 pieces if you are wanting to light a fire. If it is in only 1 big piece, the heat of the fire will cause it to crack. we are currently getting a new fireplace installed (in an old house) and they have all asked us whether we'll be lighting a fire as the hearth needs to be in 2 pieces

D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The gas pipe will have to be disconnected before lighting fires, you might want to trace the pipe back to the mains because it may not have been connected.

Safety first, have a gas approved plumber check it before lighting any fires, copper will not withstand much heat.

Advertisement