Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PS3 Launch Date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Vegeta wrote:
    EDIT: Here is a proposed list of launch titles for the PS3, which ones exactly are AAA so I know what to watch out for.

Nothing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    Is it just me or is anyone else seeing this going the same way as the PSP?
    That's exactly what I thought when I heard about the delay. 9 months to get from Japan to Europe (the PSP is a year out here last Friday) was a huge time to wait. I hope for Sony's sake they don't do that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

ProjectMayhem and LookingFor are the epiphanies of Sony fanboys, no offence to either of you, but it is quite clear!

you wouldn't say that if you saw my face when the UPS man arrived at my door with my refurbished 360 this morning
    Casual gamers just want something that will play games, the ones that they hear about. When the 360 offers 90%+ of the games they hear about, some exclusivly, the choice is not hard to make especially considering the easy availability (even availability. fullstop.)/lower prices/bigger library in comparison to the PS3.

90% with exclusivity? are you nuts? i agree 360 has some killer titles in the pipe, and a few decent ones now, but it's hardly 90% of what people are talking about. if anything i've seen more press for upcoming ps3 or wii titles then 360 ones, because like the last year, there's a drought. and the ps3 software isn't out, so you can't say the prices are lower. there'll be massive price matching going on.
    You're right though people actually waiting for the PS3 will wait for the PS3, regardless of price and release date, but I don't know many that are blind enough to follow that mentality.

the mentality to wait for a console? it happens all the time. the fact that you think 100million ps2 owners are going to get a 360 because they have to wait a bit more for the ps3 is a bit ridiculous tbh. yeah, 360 will get the casual gamers who want a new toy for christmas, but people who want a ps3, will get a ps3.
    GoW has not even been released (or has any worthy successor), so it cannot really be regarded as an AAA title just yet. Now, without naming off the titles coming to 360 or Wii that look very promising, try this one; Halo 3. There is now the chance that this will release before the PS3 in Europe, if that is not a system seller I do not know what is (Also, please note, I never liked Halo). For the Wii there is a new Mario, Zelda and Metroid...from launch!(not sure on Mario actually...)need I say any more?

i said GoW was "coming", not that it was out. and it is a AAA title if it has a huge budget, being published by microsoft at a hefty cost for advertising and has a big fanbase already (epic fans, like me!). AAA title doesn't mean "franchise".

as for halo3, yeah keep waiting for it. i'm talking about games that'll entice people on the fence away from ps3 because of this. halo3 has as much chance of being released within this new ps3 window as a nun has of getting aids.
    Can you name all the AAA titles coming to the PS3 in the next few months?

resistence, unreal tournament, mgs4 (next may, a bit out but hey, you said halo...), devil may cry, final fantasy (no idea when that's out though) and so on.
    Also, for the record, I didn't like the x-box and got on swimmingly with my GC and PS2. Like I said, PS3 may turn out great, I may end up buying it, but for now it's dead in the water with the exception of MGS, FF and some blind/ignorant support.

how can you say people wanting a ps3 are blind or ignorant, surely that's blind and/or ignorant?

while you're bitching about killzone and mgs while playing halo3 with 12 year olds, i'll be playing killzone, mgs, mario, crysis and halo3 because rather then taking sides, i'll buy everything... enjoy everything and laugh at the people who constantly talk muck while calling me a fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Vegeta wrote:
    I agree with what you are saying, it will make fcuk all difference in the long run but i don't like us Europeans being neglegted yet again.

EDIT: Here is a proposed list of launch titles for the PS3, which ones exactly are AAA so I know what to watch out for.

Armored Core 4
    Blade Storm: Hundred Years War
    Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII
    Call of Duty 3
    Fatal Inertia
    F.E.A.R.
    flOw
    Full Auto 2: Battlelines
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    Lair
    Madden 07
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    NBA Live 07
    Need for Speed: Carbon
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    Ridge Racer 7
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Tony Hawk's Project 8
    Warhawk
    Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom

From that list, the ones I heard look promising:
    Genji: Days of the Blade
    Resistance: Fall of Man
    There is Heavenly Sword as well, which will be a launch title for Europe.

Sonic the Hedgehog
    Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007
    Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Tony Hawk's Project 8

I'd say these will be fairly good as well.

I don't really know though. I probably won't buy any of those anyway.

BlitzKrieg wrote:

What do you mean? The PSP has sold 20 million units, almost as much as the DS. Only being outsold by it in Japan. That's not too bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Apapaia wrote:
    PS3 will still easily outsell the 360 and wii just because of the playstation brand.

Im sure that was never said before (atari, commadore, sega) Where are they all now. Psp is dieing a death at the hands of the ds yet this time last year people where saying psp was going to dominate the handheld market simply because its a playstation. Brands only get you so far and when you get too big there is always a backlash from the consumers who feel they are being taken for granted, the price of the ps3 is a prime example of that. The ps3 is going to go the way of the neo geo and price itself out of the market.

• Advertisement

Kristok wrote:
    Psp is dieing a death at the hands of the ds
    How? More psp's have been sold in Europe and USA than ds'.
    yet this time last year people where saying psp was going to dominate the handheld market simply because its a playstation.
    It hasn't dominated the market but it has done pretty well.
    Brands only get you so far and when you get too big there is always a backlash from the consumers who feel they are being taken for granted, the price of the ps3 is a prime example of that. The ps3 is going to go the way of the neo geo and price itself out of the market.

There are people who will buy a ps3 just because it is a playstation, regardless of price. The price isn't so high that no one will buy it and it will come down soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    There is no chance it will flop as bad as the PSP, well, I would be fairly confident of that.
    you wouldn't say that if you saw my face when the UPS man arrived at my door with my refurbished 360 this morning
    Fair enough, I apologies for my assumptions but I still think you give Sony a little too much credit sometimes!
    90% with exclusivity? are you nuts? And the ps3 software isn't out, so you can't say the prices are lower. there'll be massive price matching going on.
    I was talking about the price of the console. No, not nuts, there is a HUGE amount of cross-platform games now, so the majority of popular games (RE: EA pump outs) will be available on both and only a small minority will be available on one or the other. At the moment though, I would say 360 has more/better exclusives.
    the fact that you think 100million ps2 owners are going to get a 360 because they have to wait a bit more for the ps3 is a bit ridiculous tbh.
    Not just because of the wait, the price and library play thier respective parts. A lot of people are waiting for a PS3 because, well, it's a PS3.
    it is a AAA title if it has a huge budget, being published by microsoft at a hefty cost for advertising and has a big fanbase already (epic fans, like me!). AAA title doesn't mean "franchise".
    I thought an AAA title was judged on gaming merit and not money/hype invested? I would consider God of War/Viewtiful Joe/Ico/RE4 AAA titles and they lack most or your previous criteria.
    resistence, unreal tournament, mgs4 (next may, a bit out but hey, you said halo...), devil may cry, final fantasy (no idea when that's out though) and so on.
    Resistance? AAA title? Looks like a decent launch FPS.
    Unreal tournament, on a console? :p
    MGS, yes.
    DMC, yep.
    Final Fantasy, meh, can't wait to see lost oddessy or blue dragon tbh.
    how can you say people wanting a ps3 are blind or ignorant, surely that's blind and/or ignorant?
    Perhaps a little harse, but I really don't think it's worth buying a PS3 at launch especially if you plan to own all 3 consoles. There is very little going for it and you would be far better off waiting for the quality titles to come out and getting one after some price drops.
    while you're bitching about killzone and mgs while playing halo3 with 12 year olds, i'll be playing killzone, mgs, mario, crysis and halo3 because rather then taking sides, i'll buy everything... enjoy everything and laugh at the people who constantly talk muck while calling me a fanboy.
    Did I say anything about killzone? And I love the MSG games, €600+ to play it though? I think I can wait. I will be laughing and enjoying everything when I play all those titles too, because I will have borrowed a PS3 from someone or waited for them to drop to a reasonable price. I just think it's horribly obvious that the PS3 is not a console to buy at launch, like I said it could be a worthwhile buy later on down the road, but that has nothing to do with me liking one company more than another and more to do with me liking to hang on to what little money I have!

Apapaia wrote:

You got a link to back that up? Here's mine. (Dunno how trustworhty that site is but hey, least I got something! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Apapaia wrote:

Do you've a source for that? I know that the PSP flew off the shelves on release, but the DS has sold consistently well ever since its release, and I'm almost positive that its outselling the PSP on a weekly basis.
    It hasn't dominated the market but it has done pretty well.

It hasn't, it's dying a death. It's much vaunted multi-media features are being held back by Sony's slowness to support common formats, it's web browser is missing key features, movie studies will no longer touch UMD, and bar a very few notable examples, its games line-up is staggeringly banal. Compare that to the DS, which is shipping system selling titles every month, appealing to everyone from the hardcore gamer with stuff like Metroid, professionals with Brain Training and little girls with Nintendogs.

PSP's only chance of real success is in the hands of the PS3. If the PS3 makes it easy to put your media onto the PSP, if the PS3 can act as a LocationFree device, and if the PS3 results in more inventive games coming to PSP, it will take off.

There are people who will buy a ps3 just because it is a playstation, regardless of price. The price isn't so high that no one will buy it and it will come down soon enough.

Of course there are. There are people who will follow a manufacturer blindly from console cycle to console cycle, but that's not what will decide who wins the mass market. As it stands, the 360 is looking like a bargain next a PS3, and will do so until (or if) the blu-ray format takes off for HD movies (which itself depends on the, currently slow, uptake of HD television sets). When you consider that, for the price of a PS3, you can probably get an Xbox360 and a Nintendo Wii, Sony have a tough sell. Especially as many people arent willing to wait until after Christmas.

Oh, and some nice photoshop comedy on the whole situation can be found here @ http://www.thisiswaiting.com/ (affliates of www.wii60.com)

• Advertisement

You got a link to back that up? Here's mine. (Dunno how trustworhty that site is but hey, least I got something! :p)

I wouldn't just dream it up! :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_wars#Handheld_war

Before you say that anybody can edit wikipedia here are the references:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdatapsp_e.html
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/news/060724e.pdf

So there! :p

It hasn't, it's dying a death. It's much vaunted multi-media features are being held back by Sony's slowness to support common formats, it's web browser is missing key features, movie studies will no longer touch UMD, and bar a very few notable examples, its games line-up is staggeringly banal. Compare that to the DS, which is shipping system selling titles every month, appealing to everyone from the hardcore gamer with stuff like Metroid, professionals with Brain Training and little girls with Nintendogs.

There's no doubt that the future looks a lot better for the DS, but come on, 20 million units sold isn't doing well?

but come on, 20 million units sold isn't doing well?

Not really when you consider it wanted to be number1 against Nintendo.

There's no doubt that the future looks a lot better for the DS, but come on, 20 million units sold isn't doing well?

In terms of units sold it may be doing ok - but I refer you to my previous post. The potential is there, but the multimedia features are half-baked, the games line-up mediocre and studio support dwindling. For the end-user, the PSP is not doing well at all.

In terms of units sold it may be doing ok - but I refer you to my previous post. The potential is there, but the multimedia features are half-baked, the games line-up mediocre and studio support dwindling. For the end-user, the PSP is not doing well at all.

the PSP is a fantastic piece of hardware. but hardware a good console does not make. the software just isn't there. that's hardly Sony's fault, developers are lazy and are just doing ps2 re-hashes on the thing. Sony can't force devs to be good with their creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

What do you mean? The PSP has sold 20 million units, almost as much as the DS. Only being outsold by it in Japan. That's not too bad.

What i was refering to was the design of the machine and how its marketed.

The PSP is an amazing piece of hardware, I have one myself (but only because I picked it up second hand for a third of the original price) and the screen and the machine design is beautiful.

The PSP in function is a deadwieght. UMD is near useless as a format for films, its far too clunky with too little memory to compete as an mp3 player and any other practical use (homebrew etc) is squashed by sony constantly by the firmware updates. Not to mention the vast majority of its gaming software is either uninspired or updates of classic games (ultimate ghouls and ghosts, megaman x)

I'd like to point out that Microsoft *ignoring* the other uses people found for the xbox did them no harm.

The more I watch the PS3 the more I feel it will go the same way, no one will be able to deny its a wonderful piece of machinery but after handing over the hefty sum for it I will not surprised if people find that for all its bells and whistles there wont be much they can do it with. People hark on about MGS 4 and Devil May Cry. Personnally I would rather hear them name ranks of publishers in full support of the machine, like they were with the PS2 (note it was EA's refusal to support the Dreamcast that dealt a heavy blow) It is sad that capcom are saying they are making devil may cry 4 for the PS3 and then throwing a number of quality titles to the X360 (Dead Rising, Lost Planet). Having the big titles doesnt mean your machine is going to get the support it needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

On the PSP, I've always found all the negativity about it and it's library to be way over the top, because I have both a DS and PSP and I'm about 50/50 on which I prefer.

So had a quick look on metacritic for the most unbiased view..

Total number of games:
    PSP: 151
    DS: 127

Games scoring 90 or more:
    PSP: 0
    DS: 2

Games scoring 85 or more(including above):
    PSP: 10
    DS: 11

Games scoring 80 or more(including above):
    PSP: 32
    DS: 25

Now that's averaging out tons and tons of review sites so it's as close to objective as review scores can get.

Really, there's very little in it. The DS seems to have slightly more very very good games while the PSP has more good games. In my experience, there's still yet to be anything on the DS to come close to Liberty City Stories multiplayer. I also prefer Loco Roco to most games on the system. Not to mention Mercury and Exit. The DS has some great games but I really get confused by the superlatives people throw around describing it, I honestly can't say I've had more enjoyment out of it than my PSP.

Also, the DS' two 90+ games are Mario Kart and Advance Wars. Versions of games from previous Nintendo consoles. So much for it being a haven of originality! The top scoring game on PSP, Lumines(which personally I wasn't actually a huge fan of), is at least unique to the system. Or was before they started porting it to others.

The DS Lite has a huge advantage in terms of portability though, I prefer to bring it with me for that reason alone. Previously when I had the regular DS, I preferred to bring the PSP with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

nice balance to the argument steviec.

I guess it comes down to personal taste in the end.

also did you check in metacritic for games available only in the European market?

not that it really matters with region free etc, but I rarely buy handheld games online (i pick them up on a more spur of the moment pace.)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Apapaia wrote:

Theres a very big difference between systems Sold and systems shipped. PSP has 20 million shipped, DS has 21 million sold. If you'd bothered to read the discussion page on that PSP wikipedia site you would have seen the big debate on this figure, that units shipped is somewhat misleading. Again it seems Sony are trying every method of spin to try and seem like they're no.1.

Here in Tokyo the PSP has consistently maintained a mountain of unsold boxes behind the counters of major electronic retailers. DS lite remains sold out during the weekdays and is only available for 2 hours every saturday morning when nintendo make more systems to cope with the demand. And then there was the release of FF3 here 2 weeks ago, mental! I've never seen anything like it, queues literally out the door.

Despite being an owner of a PS2 and PSP, DS lite has opened my eyes to what gaming is all about, fun. The Wii looks set to continue nintendos recent trend of making more interactive and fun games. PS3 is largely hype. Without doubt, I'm going to invest in a Wii when it comes out and wait to see if the PS3 is any good when it comes out here in November. The tide certainly seems to be turning in favour of Nintendo in Japan, and that could have massive consequences for the gaming future. Sony are playing a very dangerous game.

Edit: Its actually contained in the discussion page for the PSP on wikipedia. heres the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:PlayStation_Portable#PSP_Units_Sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    nice balance to the argument steviec.

I guess it comes down to personal taste in the end.

also did you check in metacritic for games available only in the European market?

not that it really matters with region free etc, but I rarely buy handheld games online (i pick them up on a more spur of the moment pace.)

I don't think metacritic lets you check that sort of thing, the game goes up when the reviews go up, and the reviews go up when the game comes out in America generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

lawl, this image from This Is Waiting's website is just classic:

h1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

this one is the best :D
    a4.gif

the PSP is a fantastic piece of hardware. but hardware a good console does not make. the software just isn't there. that's hardly Sony's fault, developers are lazy and are just doing ps2 re-hashes on the thing. Sony can't force devs to be good with their creations.

Does it matter whose fault it is? The end result is still that the end user is being starved of decent, innovative games. And surely some of the blame does lie with Sony - they've pitched the game as a portable home console, with all that entails (identikit racers, run&guns, ports of psone/two games...). And their inhouse studies by in large are releasing very little of any merit.

Does it matter whose fault it is? The end result is still that the end user is being starved of decent, innovative games. And surely some of the blame does lie with Sony - they've pitched the game as a portable home console, with all that entails (identikit racers, run&guns, ports of psone/two games...). And their inhouse studies by in large are releasing very little of any merit.

aye but it's all in a name - it's a "playstation portable", as in a portable version of that thing under your TV. it's not meant to be a DS... it never was. devs are just lazy with it, simple as.

as for in-house development, i predict a fat load of ads when killzone comes along this november, along with a pricedrop (on both PSP and PS2)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

aye but it's all in a name - it's a "playstation portable", as in a portable version of that thing under your TV. it's not meant to be a DS... it never was. devs are just lazy with it, simple as.

That's it's problem right there. If I want to play a playstation game I'd prefer to do it at home. The DS offers something different and something thats suited to gaming on the move.

As for Killzone, I don't know how you can think it will be a killer app after how unimaginative and mediocre the first game was.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    As for Killzone, I don't know how you can think it will be a killer app after how unimaginative and mediocre the first game was.

i thoroughly enjoyed it, and so did about 2 million other people. so much so that sony went and bought the studio...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

kaimera wrote:
    Nothing really.

You seem to have missed a game in the list that we were raving about last year (F.E.A.R.)

As for delaying it...meh. Who is gonna buy it at first anyway?

Peteee wrote:
    You seem to have missed a game in the list that we were raving about last year (F.E.A.R.)

Nope.

It's a pc fps to begin with.

Doubt it'll match it tbqh.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Peteee wrote:
    Thats cause we hadn't played it by then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Peteee wrote:

You'll be able to play it on X360 first.
    If year old, cross platform games are the best the PS3 has to offer, I'm glad I took the chance on an X360.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

Rip Ps3

Advertisement