Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builder Criteria

Options
  • 06-09-2006 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I had a chat with these guys and they seem good but what Criteria should i use to make sure they are not Cowboys, ok i will speak to people they have worked with but what else should i look out for.

http://www.envirohomes.ie/

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

i hope they put more effort into building your house that they put into that website...

best thing to do is ask them for contact details of previous clients and contact them... ask them how they found them...
    if the come back with some speel about how they cant give out numbers of old clients because of privacy issues, walk away from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

I'm about to start a build with them in a few weeks and found them to be really good so far.They have no problem giving out numbers of previous work. just last week i checked out some of their houses and the work was top notch.
    Their quote for the build is excellent.theyre well up to date with new energy sources . i was looking for a house that was going to be well insulated above the norm and from what ive seen so far they do this as standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

i hope they put more effort into building your house that they put into that website...
    Picky picky!

Well, they have a landline number, so that's good!

If you are going to be spending a lot of money, sometimes it's good to hire out the services of a Lawsearching company to see if anyone has taken legal action against them anytime in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Picky picky!

If you are going to be spending a lot of money, sometimes it's good to hire out the services of a Lawsearching company to see if anyone has taken legal action against them anytime in the past.

If having a landline number allays your fears then you deserve no sympathy if you become entangled with cowboys. Grow up and be a little more assertive! Request details of 3 previous projects, ie completed within last 12 months +, within last 12 months, and within last 30-60 days.

Request proof of Employer and Public Liability Insurance.

Anyone can get a landline even a nobody, lots of fools out there and cowboys depend on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

ah sure that it so... no need to check anymore...that's good enough for me. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

Lads moving away from the Point - As I said I will check their pervious builds, what else would you check ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Neverends

I'd find out how many jobs they have running at once (not sure how to confirm this) as many builders promise you the world but its only when they have the job you realise they are massively overbooked and you haven't a hope in hell of being close to schedule. You really need very very good recommendation from someone you trust otherwise you're taking a risk and in my opinion you have to factor into your budgeting that it may run well over schedule (will you be renting?) and over budget.

Can you get an architect with proven experience of managing jobs on budget and schedule? I've heard a good architect with the resources of a firm behind him can actually get things done on time by getting builders to sign proper contracts that mean they lose money if they screw up etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

These guys are your architect and project management team. They actually subcontract the work out on your behalf. They do however use their own timberframe. I think they are completing about 1-2 houses per month and have a very good reputation locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Hi Guys,

Any recent update on this company? did anyone contact them?

I see they do the entire package including design and planning. Im sure they could offer just the building service on its own if planning and design stage have already been completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭the magician

Hi Guys,

Any recent update on this company? did anyone contact them?

I see they do the entire package including design and planning. Im sure they could offer just the building service on its own if planning and design stage have already been completed?

My build is starting this week with envirohomes.Generally they do the whole process from start to finish but they will do a few build only projects to fill gaps when they're waiting on planning permission for their own design projects.

I had my house designed by a local architect and envirohomes are building the house. But i wish i went with them for the design stages as my architect made a complete balls of the plans.. Envirohomes pretty much redone them from scratch.so far their servic has been great . Will know soon enough how good they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Someday

Hi Guys

Meet up with them on Friday and they seem to be on the Ball and no rubbish. Spoke to two people that build their Houses in 2006 and they are very happy with them. One guy was in his house in 19 Weeks from the digger going in to the field, the build is timber frame with a stone front.

These guys are Project Maangers and have all the trades on Fixed prices, they can work the full Job for you from start to finish.

I think i will be giving them the ok.

I am looking at Stone House, 2700 Sq ft, Solar Panels, Wood Chip burner, Under Floor Heating and i should get it up for 300K. That includes all fees down to Tiles and Paint.

Thanks

Advertisement