Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

SyxPak wrote:
    I'm more concerned about NTL/UPC's routing of my traffic tbh.

https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist

I assume its on a waiting list. I dont fully understand the peering side of things, so someone else may want to comment on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Just back on hols - been away the most part of two weeks
    didnt even get a reply to my mail to comreg in that time - is this a suprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Jumpy wrote:
    https://www.inex.ie/about/memberlist

I assume its on a waiting list. I dont fully understand the peering side of things, so someone else may want to comment on this.

Hadn't bothered to check INEX, but glad to see they are actually going to use it.
    Guess they're awaiting provisioning, kit and peerage paperwork to do the rounds.

That said, my smokeping graphs haven't been terrible, but they ping at such wide intervals that they inevitably miss the ping-spikes/packetloss that are experienced during a game of BF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Ntl are currently outside my house putting up a new cable having brought fiber to the estate (FTE). Broadband offers are only weeks away.

I won't be signing up though because they can't decide what their cap is.

If they can't stick to their own conditions ie. download of 40gb then I won't be bothering with them. God knows what they'll be thinking of next.

I only usually download about 10gb.

That old biddy sending out those letters is an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

http://www.lgi.com/europe.html

Might be part of why they are kicking off high users they plan to launch VOIP here later this year
    In late 2004, using advanced Voice over IP technology (VoIP), UPC Broadband began offering digital telephone services in the Netherlands and Hungary; Poland, Austria and Romania were added during 2005. In Switzerland, our local affiliate, Cablecom, began offering VoIP telephony in 2003. As of the second quarter of 2006, UPC Broadband added the Czech Republic to its VoIP markets and plans to launch in the Slovak Republic and Ireland later this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

my imagination or a typo on that site ?
    UPC Ireland offers three tiers of chello brand high-speed Internet access service with download speeds ranging from 1 Kbps to 3 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

They still haven't updated their User Policy. Some poor CSR is going to get destroyed when I get my own letter. Stayed within 40 gig, but uploads had already put me over the new cap before I'd heard about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They still haven't updated their User Policy. Some poor CSR is going to get destroyed when I get my own letter. Stayed within 40 gig, but uploads had already put me over the new cap before I'd heard about it.

What new cap?

They're calculating your monthly usage based on download+upload instead of download from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

They're calculating your monthly usage based on download+upload instead of download from now on.

W*ers! Sad thing is Smart are the only other company I would have considered. Don't want to risk that right now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

How come their user policy still says:

""Normal use" of the service is defined as up to 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer daily
    (which equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or
    around 100 large software programmes downloaded per day).
    Monthly usage allowances for ntl’s Broadband services are: up to 2 (Gb) (Broadband Value),
    16 Gigabytes (Gb) (Broadband Starter), 30 Gb (Broadband) or 40 Gb (Broadband Max). All
    monthly usage allowances refer to levels of downstream data transfer monthly.
    "

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

kin9pin wrote:
    How come their user policy still says:

""Normal use" of the service is defined as up to 1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer daily
    (which equates to approximately 200 music tracks, 650 short videos, 10,000 pictures or
    around 100 large software programmes downloaded per day).
    Monthly usage allowances for ntl’s Broadband services are: up to 2 (Gb) (Broadband Value),
    16 Gigabytes (Gb) (Broadband Starter), 30 Gb (Broadband) or 40 Gb (Broadband Max). All
    monthly usage allowances refer to levels of downstream data transfer monthly.
    "

Because they havn't been sued yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

how anyone who has gotten disconnected hasnt sued yet given the above user policy is beyond me - even take them to the small claims court!!??!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Actually, this is funny:
    "1 gigabyte downstream of data transfer daily (which equates to approximately [...] 100 large software programmes"

Hmm, a large software program is 10 megs? Was this user policy drawn up in 1989?

To put this into perspective; anyone who downloaded the recent "Company of Heroes" PC game demo would have used up 1/7th of their monthly cap in one go, based on their "new" policy.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Has anyone got disconnected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mandrk

As an NTL customer I think NTLs resolution to their bandwidth problem by cutting off high bandwidth users and their implementation of that is absolutely shocking.

On the other hand I have to say it appears to have worked ..... for the moment. I'm not a high end user and my 2Mb connection is ample for what I need but since the end of July I've been getting ridiculously bad download speeds varying from only OK to downright crap. The latency introduced has also played havoc with my Blueface VOIP.

But in the last week or so things have improved, I'm getting decent download speeds even at Peak times and people can hear me now when I make a phone call (Divorce proceedings put on hold!).

Just curious to see if NTLs arse about face solution has worked for anyone else?

I realise other events are probably taking up comregs valuable time (:rolleyes:) but did anyone who wrote to comreg in connection with these NTL problems get a reply yet... ( I didn't and its been over 2 weeks since i wrote to their consumer line )

Also as its the new month have any new letters gone out yet to people...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

mandrk wrote:
    As an NTL customer I think NTLs resolution to their bandwidth problem by cutting off high bandwidth users and their implementation of that is absolutely shocking.

On the other hand I have to say it appears to have worked ..... for the moment. I'm not a high end user and my 2Mb connection is ample for what I need but since the end of July I've been getting ridiculously bad download speeds varying from only OK to downright crap. The latency introduced has also played havoc with my Blueface VOIP.

But in the last week or so things have improved, I'm getting decent download speeds even at Peak times and people can hear me now when I make a phone call (Divorce proceedings put on hold!).

Just curious to see if NTLs arse about face solution has worked for anyone else?

I was having connection problems for 2 months from July - connection would drop ever hour or so and I'd have to reset the modem, very annoying. Someone with more expertise can clarify, but I'm almost certain that heavy users could not have been the cause of these problems - they could have slowed my connection speed when I was connected, but their downloading would not actually cause my connection to drop. I think it was a completely separate problem with their new network setup.

The fact it took 2 months to resolve is disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Most things have been covered here, including the change of NTL terms which will now state that upload bandwidth use is included in the download cap (an absolute joke!!) except for that...

when i received my letter i asked them to re-check and get back to me with the actual figures of my download and upload amounts, they came back to me and told me that i had Downloaded 57GB and uploaded 39GB - which is totally INCORRECT as i have a download monitor and i had kept within my allowances every month since i have signed up

- are NTL incorrectly monitoring there customers usage? :eek: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I wrote (emailed) ComReg about 3 weeks ago and havent heard anything back. I rang NTL 3 weeks ago and cancelled my subscription. I was originally just going to cancel my broadband but the guy was so arrogant and rude that I decided to get rid of the whole lot. Havent heard anything since so I am just going to disconnect my equipment and leave it in the box ready for collection. I am waiting on magnet to connect me in two weeks time.
    Will never touch NTL again...

• Advertisement

jo.king wrote:
    Most things have been covered here, including the change of NTL terms which will now state that upload bandwidth use is included in the download cap (an absolute joke!!) except for that...

when i received my letter i asked them to re-check and get back to me with the actual figures of my download and upload amounts, they came back to me and told me that i had Downloaded 57GB and uploaded 39GB - which is totally INCORRECT as i have a download monitor and i had kept within my allowances every month since i have signed up

- are NTL incorrectly monitoring there customers usage? :eek: :mad:

Go back to them with your own totals and request a day to day break down...

Did you use a download meter like netmeter that can give you a daily breakdown.

If so do up an excel sheet and send it to them with your totals up and down for each day of the month and ask them how are their figures so out of synch with your own...

They finally got around to changing "download limit" to "usage limit" on their product information page.

They still haven't updated their user policy dated March 2006 though. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

They finally got around to changing "download limit" to "usage limit" on their product information page.

They still haven't updated their user policy dated March 2006 though. :rolleyes:

Seriously, that's outrageous. It's unbelievable that they still haven't announced this properly. It's like dropping half the channels they give to digital subscribers, hoping they don't notice.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I remember Netsource doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Well I just rang NTL there to see what my usage was, if I needed to upgrade to a higher broadband product. I don't think I am anywhere near my actual limit but I thought I would check anyway. The girl on the phone hadn't a clue what I was on about. She told me "there is no limit, you can download as much as you want!!" Oh and both Customer Services and Broadband Support told me this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

Im fed up with these new policies for NTL - considering a new ISP and cant get Magnet, BT seem to be second best...anyone any comments?

Thanks, Jo.

tinkerbell wrote:
    The girl on the phone hadn't a clue what I was on about. She told me "there is no limit, you can download as much as you want!!" Oh and both Customer Services and Broadband Support told me this.

Amazing:eek: ... probably wouldn't want to chance it though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

whereas in Holland even their €15 package has no limits and the speeds are quite similar to here on an € basis.
    In Ireland

http://www.chello.nl/Abonnementen/Internet/

GEEN means NONE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Can they just change T&C's during my contract? I'm only with then 2 months and so have another 10 months.

Edit: Does anyone know of a good free download counter? I've used DU MEter for the last month but don't want to pay for anything that NTL should be supplying

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Noelie wrote:
    Can they just change T&C's during my contract? I'm only with then 2 months and so have another 10 months.

Edit: Does anyone know of a good free download counter? I've used DU MEter for the last month but don't want to pay for anything that NTL should be supplying

Try Netmeter. http://readerror.gmxhome.de/

It's very similar to DUMeter but its free

Advertisement