Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

I was just reading the post on ODCA I wonder will the cover issue for some of you that got disconnected becasue NTL change T&C's from Download only to Upload and download so people went over the limit or even for some users were because they have no way to monitor they went over.

I knwo some of you will say if they went over is their own fault but if using 2 or 3 computers it could be easy to go over the download limit.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

Sponge Bob wrote:
    There is no reason to disbelieve him

NTL sent warnings to some and disconnects to a select few.

These are being processed in the NTL Waterford call centre. NTL have announced they are closing this Waterford centre so NOBODY down there gives a **** any more.

The decision makers who decided that the hogs must go (but only after 4 warnings that were never sent out ) are either in

1. Chorus HQ bunker in Limerick 1890 20 20 29 or 1890 417 888 or +353 61 272120

or

2. NTL East wall bunker , 01 2458000

Contact them, not Waterford. Waterford is only a zombie film set for the Living Dead Reloaded .

i love it

tinkerbell wrote:
    Well I just rang NTL there to see what my usage was, if I needed to upgrade to a higher broadband product. I don't think I am anywhere near my actual limit but I thought I would check anyway. The girl on the phone hadn't a clue what I was on about. She told me "there is no limit, you can download as much as you want!!" Oh and both Customer Services and Broadband Support told me this.

did you get her name? use that against them if they ever try to cut you off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭jo.king

okcomputer wrote:
    did you get her name? use that against them if they ever try to cut you off

Means nothing unless you have it in writing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

had you read the thread you would know it means nothing IN writing either

when peepes are cut off is it just for the remainder of the month?
    I'm thinking of ringing them to see how I am doing (and pleading my case) if I am near the cap. Could that backfire??

I fear the worst, I am prob way over considering I used about 8gb downloading a 3gb NFL torrent (uploads were way faster for this torrent) and I was prob pushing the cap already :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

okcomputer wrote:
    when peepes are cut off is it just for the remainder of the month?
    The September connections were of the "thanks for your business, you're now an ex-NTL Broadband user" variety. (That's what "disconnection" means).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Has anyone been cut off?

I'm always over the cap and have recieved that a few times over the past 2 years but they still won't cut me off?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭speedy21

I was told the same thing on the phone by the way - that there is no limit with NTL downloads.
    This was a cold call they made to me to sell the product.

I havent been able to use close to my download limit however because NTL rarely connects or gives me fast enough speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mojito wrote:
    Has anyone been cut off?

I'm always over the cap and have recieved that a few times over the past 2 years but they still won't cut me off?

If you read this thread you'll see that yes people have been cut off, there is actual proof from a number of people.

This has all seemed to have quieted down now – Does anyone know if NTL have sent any letters or disconnected any other users recently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

NTL seem to have completely imploded. I doubt they have the wherewithal to organise any more disconnections for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

Im sort of getting a bit worried here !... i was with smart ( who have no caps for sure ), but i had a NIGHTMARE with them so i have signed up with NTL ( gettin hooked up next week ).............. should i be worried? !

mr_disc wrote:
    Im sort of getting a bit worried here !... i was with smart ( who have no caps for sure ), but i had a NIGHTMARE with them so i have signed up with NTL ( gettin hooked up next week ).............. should i be worried? !

Be Afraid... Be VERY Afraid!!!!! :(

(I cant wait to get off their service!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭mr_disc

jo.king wrote:
    Be Afraid... Be VERY Afraid!!!!! :(

(I cant wait to get off their service!!!)

well ffffff*** it :mad:

I did go 4 the Max option, but if i get a letter about over usage ... ill say fine... ill take my business elsewhere........ sure i dont care who my ISP is or who i dole out €400 odd a year to just as once they can provide a service, so if NTL talk to me about caps ILL PULL THE PLUG ON THEM :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭branners69

mr_disc wrote:
    ... so if NTL talk to me about caps ILL PULL THE PLUG ON THEM :p

After 12 months as per the contract of course!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I got the letter from those **** today.

Same old BS.

Damn when is Smart going to get here? even Eircom wasn't such a PIA as ntl has become.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you being disconnected then ???? how much over did you go ??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

CyberGhost wrote:

Same old BS.

Damn when is Smart going to get here? even Eircom wasn't such a PIA as ntl has become.

A disconnection letter or just the old warning letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Ardent

mr_disc wrote:
    well ffffff*** it :mad:

I did go 4 the Max option, but if i get a letter about over usage ... ill say fine... ill take my business elsewhere........ sure i dont care who my ISP is or who i dole out €400 odd a year to just as once they can provide a service, so if NTL talk to me about caps ILL PULL THE PLUG ON THEM :p

You left Smart for NTL's broadband service? Are you mad?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CyberGhost wrote:

Same old BS.

any chance you can post how much you went over by?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

The exact amount was not indicated, it only said that my "usage exceeded the limit"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Got another one today as well.
    In Galway.
    About time really, I've been going nuts downloading for the last couple of months since the last letter in the hope that they cut me off.
    Then I can move to either smart or utv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

patch wrote:
    Got another one today as well.
    In Galway.
    About time really, I've been going nuts downloading for the last couple of months since the last letter in the hope that they cut me off.
    Then I can move to either smart or utv.

Can someone explain to me how you could download 85, 100, or 120 Gigs in a month? What in God's name are you downloading?:eek: And is it all legal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

They are using torrents 24 hours a day. Usual hogs screwing it up for the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

[MOD EDIT] No need for personal abuse, poster asked a question and Jumpy answered the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ollielou

first off ,we pay highest line rental in europe,secondly most of europe have a choice in paying for a cap free broadband service[if it costs extra so what]thirdly try downloading ,lets say for example,a hi def movie trailer[can be 300mb]or listen to radio stations,on the fourth issue i do not use torrents ,but i think caps are a pain because we pay the highest rates in europe for our phone services and bband and yet here we hav guys defending the sons of bitches who impose them ,you guys make me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ollielou wrote:
    first off ,we pay highest line rental in europe,secondly most of europe have a choice in paying for a cap free broadband service[if it costs extra so what]thirdly try downloading ,lets say for example,a hi def movie trailer[can be 300mb]or listen to radio stations,on the fourth issue i do not use torrents ,but i think caps are a pain because we pay the highest rates in europe for our phone services and bband and yet here we hav guys defending the sons of bitches who impose them ,you guys make me laugh

I defend them because no matter what bandwidth they give us if it is a contended connection you will always have the idiots using as much as they can take ALL the time. Its a shared connection no matter how much you want to complain so caps need to be enforced. Most of europe is on a silly amount of bandwidth compared to ireland, so the contention is not so much of an issue. If I am contending with you, and you are taking my bandwidth 24/7, I want you disconnected. I know this is a thread about NTL whereas I am with digiweb, but its the same situation.

• Advertisement

ollielou wrote:

While I can understand your view, the business model of a end user paying lets say 30e for a broadband connection and then maxing out the line 24/7 is not a workable business model as the bandwidth costs can get very high.

Think I'm lying? Look at the UK and how many providers are actually "uncapped & unlimited" very few, and the few that are will introduce a Fair Usage Policy in time as heavy downloaders from a company that has introduced a FUP will simple move to an ISP that has none and the'll cost the company a fortune. (in the end companys are in their to make money)

If you want true unlimited or uncapped broadband then your really only looking at business products and as such you need to be prepared to pay the money.

it may "suck" but this is reality

Advertisement