Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ollielou

so where does that leave us in a years time with the introduction of the likes of itv [apples LEGAL http://www.apple.com/appletv/]service where you pay for movies and tv shows in hi def that u stream to your hi def plasmas etc,that will probably use a lot of bandwidth,because imho thats the way the net is going to gohi def online gameing etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ollielou wrote:
    so where does that leave us in a years time with the introduction of the likes of itv [apples LEGAL http://www.apple.com/appletv/]service where you pay for movies and tv shows in hi def that u stream to your hi def plasmas etc,that will probably use a lot of bandwidth,because imho thats the way the net is going to gohi def online gameing etc

Well personally I'd hope that providers re-think their policys, otherwise users with a package with a 4GB cap per month will get their account suspended or charged just for downloading 3 movies from itunes (when its available in Europe/Ireland and the movies are around 1.4GB each)

I'd imagine they will re-adjust their packages as some ISP's will properly bring out their own movie download services.

exactly,as u know video takes a lot of bandwidth ,hi def video takes a lot more,and microsoft have a service on xbox 360[not here yet but in the states with legal downloadable content also movies tv shows http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketplace/moviestv/default.htm]so our services here need an up grade like these ones http://www.bt.c@&BV_EngineID=cccdaddjmemefkfcflgcefkdffndfkn.0&s_cid=HP_TotalBB_Bulletlistlink&obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1128&obsPage=/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=112066

who uses internet 24 /7 -no one who use bband for e mailing and browsing-answer a lot more then those who[insomnia types ]use it 24-7,simple fact we had dial up when the rest of europe had bband[were supposed to be an IT hub by the way]and now we have adsl with caps ,when the restof europe have adsl2 and the CHOICE of having a capped or uncapped service lol makes me really angry how we take this crap and expensive costs with it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My BB connection is busy 24/7, but then I'm with Smart at 8MB/512 and no cap. For a total of 49 euro a month.

People in Ireland get what they are prepared to put up with - eircom. If more would move we might see some action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Jumpy wrote:
    I defend them because no matter what bandwidth they give us if it is a contended connection you will always have the idiots using as much as they can take ALL the time. Its a shared connection no matter how much you want to complain so caps need to be enforced. Most of europe is on a silly amount of bandwidth compared to ireland, so the contention is not so much of an issue. If I am contending with you, and you are taking my bandwidth 24/7, I want you disconnected. I know this is a thread about NTL whereas I am with digiweb, but its the same situation.

Hey, I'm paying for 6 Megs, I'm taking what I'm paying for, it's not like I'm taking your 6 megs with me, or your cap. If the ISP just barely squeezed that 6 megs out, just so they can call it 6 megs, it's not my problem.

It's people like you actually that are holding everything back, you are supporting them and helping them get away with whatever they want. Why? it's people's fault we are ages behind everyone else.

Plus ntl wasn't always a PIA, they were a very good ISP, but since chello took over it, and decided to route things over Holland(AFAIK), instead of the UK, everything went bad, is it my fault they made a mistake? should I pay for their mistakes?

stebishop wrote:
    A disconnection letter or just the old warning letter?

warning one, second time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ollielou wrote:
    who uses internet 24 /7 -no one who use bband for e mailing and browsing-answer a lot more then those who[insomnia types ]use it 24-7,simple fact we had dial up when the rest of europe had bband[were supposed to be an IT hub by the way]and now we have adsl with caps ,when the restof europe have adsl2 and the CHOICE of having a capped or uncapped service lol makes me really angry how we take this crap and expensive costs with it

Again lets compare UK to Ireland :)
    Vast majority of ISP's in the UK have caps or Fair Usage Policys, those that don't often cost more or sometimes even fold because they go into debt :)

Yes there are some unlimited ISP's but the same goes for Ireland, Smart and BT Business packages are just two examples :)

Ireland is no different to the rest when it comes to caps and fair usage policys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

spurious wrote:
    My BB connection is busy 24/7, but then I'm with Smart at 8MB/512 and no cap. For a total of 49 euro a month.

People in Ireland get what they are prepared to put up with - eircom. If more would move we might see some action.

Tell you what. Get my exchange unbundled and I will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ollielou wrote:
    first off ,we pay highest line rental in europe,secondly most of europe have a choice in paying for a cap free broadband service[if it costs extra so what]thirdly try downloading ,lets say for example,a hi def movie trailer[can be 300mb]or listen to radio stations,on the fourth issue i do not use torrents ,but i think caps are a pain because we pay the highest rates in europe for our phone services and bband and yet here we hav guys defending the sons of bitches who impose them ,you guys make me laugh
    First of your line rental has nothing to do with your broadband connection (could be fibre, cable etc. and the ISP don't charge you for the line rental).

Secondly, a company in the UK did a nice study two years ago, 384 (out of 60k customers) of their customers where downloading an average of 140GB a month. Their total downloaded added up to ~90% of the companies total download every month. They had unlimited download as well.

Can you guess what happend? They took all said users and put them in their own seperate pipe with max contention ratio so they would not screw up the download for the rest of their customer (have fun with 24 other people on a 6MB line who go 24/7!)...

Do you seriously think that uncapped users like you argue for is something that a broadband company actually wants? The only reason they exist in Europe was they came uncapped first and now they can't put the genie back in the bottle, instead they will do as above to get you to leave them.

• Advertisement

cabaal ireland is so different in terms of adsl to other countrys i was in uk recently and was in a house with 8 meg connection no cap for around 30 quid as well as calls from bt,i wont even start on about holland[20meg]germany or france even the likes of romania,were so far behind its laughable,and all were concerned about is pple going over caps lol

so nody line rental has nothing to do with broadband ,ok how do u figure that 1 out ,when 75 percent of houses in ireland get adsl through phone lines[lol]so we pay for their up keep and upgrades duh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭patch

Freddie59 wrote:
    Can someone explain to me how you could download 85, 100, or 120 Gigs in a month? What in God's name are you downloading?:eek: And is it all legal?

I signed on and pay for an uncapped service.
    Most of what I download is legal, the same applies to most people who pay for an unlimited service.

Ntl sent me out warning letters and then won't answer the phone when I try to either discuss the fact that they suddenly have a cap in place contrary to thier (at the time) terms and conditions, downtime issues or cancel my subscription in disgust.

Therefore the only means of communication I have with ntl is to abuse their cap. A cap which I paid money to not be in place.

I've no problem paying extra for an uncapped service which is why I'll be moving to smart or utv.

I don't use torrents either so screw anybody who sugggests otherwise. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

ollielou wrote:
    so nody line rental has nothing to do with broadband ,ok how do u figure that 1 out ,when 75 percent of houses in ireland get adsl through phone lines[lol]so we pay for their up keep and upgrades duh
    Simple, BT/Digiweb/"insert ISP" don't get a cent of your line rental (and even the bundled cases are usually a €0 case for them or 50 cent profit at most) and could not give a damn how much you pay for it since what you pay for is access to their backend network and their pipes to the world which they pay cash for.

If you want to discuss why Eircom don't invest said money from linerental to actually improve the broadband (it is usually the biggest source of income for all state/ex state owned telecom companies along with local calls) you're on a different story, but that don't have anything to do with your run of the mill ISP and caps which this thread is about.

omg noddy its about haveing a choice to download what you want when you want and paying for what you want ,and haveing that right,and not picking on guys who paid ntl for a cap free service and now cannot get it,and as for isp land line broadband what good is an 8 gig allowence a month to some 1 who want s [eg] to dload a game demo from market place average 1 a gig or download steam [hl 2] and all its apps or hi def content from apple or itunes,thats the way its heading whether u like it or not so a cap of 30 gig will be a joke in a year or 2,so we need to plan ahead [do we agree on that]with better and faster services with value 4 money which imho is not what were getting now

ollielou wrote:
    omg noddy its about haveing a choice to download what you want when you want and paying for what you want ,and haveing that right,and not picking on guys who paid ntl for a cap free service and now cannot get it,and as for isp land line broadband what good is an 8 gig allowence a month to some 1 who want s [eg] to dload a game demo from market place average 1 a gig or download steam [hl 2] and all its apps or hi def content from apple or itunes,thats the way its heading whether u like it or not so a cap of 30 gig will be a joke in a year or 2,so we need to plan ahead [do we agree on that]with better and faster services with value 4 money which imho is not what were getting now
    On theory craft I agree with you, Irish market is useless on broadband (see rant in other thread) and it is overpriced. Yes, I do agree that the caps are limiting for extreme (legal) users (let's face it, most people don't download HD movies etc. and hit said caps). However, there are options to get higher download limits (there is a reason why my BB bill is over €100 a month) right now as well. The problem is most users think they should pay €20 a month and get 8MB uncapped download at max speeed at all times which will not happend with current attitude (once again see other thread for rant ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

after reading all of this i want to know my esat bt broadband that i get that is advertised as uncapped is it truely uncapped? (im using business bt) id say on average i have about a 120gig transfer due to a live streaming webcam, uploading movies to my shops website, adding/editing my online shop, sending emails to customers with attachments/catalogs that can be 10megs each in size, sharing with my 2 co workers laptops and for vpn?

If it is uncapped guys you should get yourselves esatbt business broadband it will cost you a few quid, register a business name and get a vat number cant be that expensive.

Read your fine print Neon, from what I recall they use a "Fair Use Policy" which basically means we cut you off if we feel you go over what is a fair use of the line (which they never tell you in advance of!).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

But the majority of ISPs with such usage limits don't provide any mechanism by which a customer can monitor their usage, and those who do are often inaccurate or slow to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

CyberGhost wrote:
    Hey, I'm paying for 6 Megs, I'm taking what I'm paying for, it's not like I'm taking your 6 megs with me, or your cap. If the ISP just barely squeezed that 6 megs out, just so they can call it 6 megs, it's not my problem.

It's people like you actually that are holding everything back, you are supporting them and helping them get away with whatever they want. Why? it's people's fault we are ages behind everyone else.

Plus ntl wasn't always a PIA, they were a very good ISP, but since chello took over it, and decided to route things over Holland(AFAIK), instead of the UK, everything went bad, is it my fault they made a mistake? should I pay for their mistakes?

You are paying for 6 megs contended. You are NOT paying for 6 megs.
    Have a look at the business uncontended links, your cost is a FRACTION of what you would pay. If you use 6 megs at all times you are a hog. Simple as.

And mate, I am not supporting them. You are, if you are so unhappy with a service then find one that suits you better, oh wait, that would cost you a fortune, the point is that there isnt one for you at the same price, to be honest you live in a country that is only learning to catch up with the rest of the world, they dont follow other countries examples and basically screw up everything they try to do by themselves. The only hope you have here is if a company from a successful country comes in here and offers something that the others cant or wont match. Due to stupid competition laws and ever more stupid regulators this isnt going to happen anytime in our lifetimes.

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote:
    You are paying for 6 megs contended. You are NOT paying for 6 megs.
    Have a look at the business uncontended links, your cost is a FRACTION of what you would pay. If you use 6 megs at all times you are a hog. Simple as.

And mate, I am not supporting them. You are, if you are so unhappy with a service then find one that suits you better, oh wait, that would cost you a fortune, the point is that there isnt one for you at the same price, to be honest you live in a country that is only learning to catch up with the rest of the world, they dont follow other countries examples and basically screw up everything they try to do by themselves. The only hope you have here is if a company from a successful country comes in here and offers something that the others cant or wont match. Due to stupid competition laws and ever more stupid regulators this isnt going to happen anytime in our lifetimes.

Well you certainly do have a point, but here's a scenario, what if I use only 1 meg out of all those 6 megs, and download 100 gigs, does that still count as hogging? technically if we look at the downloaded data, I hog, but does my 100kB/s really affect other users around me? how do ISPs count by data that passes through them or by the load of their lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Jumpy wrote:
    They are using torrents 24 hours a day. Usual hogs screwing it up for the rest of us.

Thought so. When you consider what you can store on a 120 GB Hard Drive. Thanbks for that.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 upcsucks

bk wrote: »
    One of you guys should set up a upc-sucks website and post all the letters etc.

Get some attention on this and let people know that UPC is quickly becoming one of the worst ISP's.

Indeed!

http://www.upcsucks.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hi,

I got a second download cap breached warning from NTL in the post recently. I don't recall ever getting the first one.

The text of warning is similar to the ones posted before (I have read the whole thread).

Supposed to have 20 GB a month, used 84 GB. On the 2MB package and have been for some years.

Although there was no mention of disconnection. What it did say was they would be automatically upgrading me to the max package if it continued. Vauge to say the least.

What do you think I should do? Calling them seems to get no results, comreg seems to be ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Hi,

I got a second download cap breached warning from NTL in the post recently. I don't recall ever getting the first one.

The text of warning is similar to the ones posted before (I have read the whole thread).

Supposed to have 20 GB a month, used 84 GB. On the 2MB package and have been for some years.

Although there was no mention of disconnection. What it did say was they would be automatically upgrading me to the max package if it continued. Vauge to say the least.

What do you think I should do? Calling them seems to get no results, comreg seems to be ditto.

What do you expect comreg to do? The missing first complaint aside you have went over your cap laid out in the terms and conditions you signed up to and they are totally in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Way to necro a thread guys, good work ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

jesus janurary 2007! well done upcsucks.
    your only post and it was a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Normally if you ring them (grovel a tad) and promise to behave (and actually behave) they can be persuaded not to cut you off. If you DO NOT ring them you WILL be cut off.

If you ask to be upgraded to the new 12mb service they'll prob keep ya too, also now the download limit for top pakage is 120GB second one is 60GB and lowest is 20GB

to be honest it's very irresponsible of them to not warn you to stop first and that they're quoting from 7 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

Hi,

same here. I used 91.0 GB last month..:D..but no first letter..second worning with automatically upgrading to 80€ per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

i googled a freeware that monitors your internet usage.
    Down2home. ..you can download from here.-http://www.snapfiles.com/get/down2home.html

if any body has tried it.

Advertisement