Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

What do you expect comreg to do? The missing first complaint aside you have went over your cap laid out in the terms and conditions you signed up to and they are totally in the right.

you think everyone signed up to those terms and conditions? I have a copy of my original terms and NOWHERE does it mention a cap. I cannot believe anyone on here is defending UPC - pure. utter. complete. crap.

oh and when they did finally introduce terms really they should send them out to their original customers asking them to accept them or have their contract cancelled. at least give us the option - Nah instead, they send out letters - claiming to be a SECOND letter - complete BS.

but by all means go ahead and take it lads :rolleyes:

hah! and i forgot - we must manually monitor our own usage - they dont even provide a usage meter!! my god is astounds me what some people on here are expecting others to take from a service we PAY for!! boggles the mind. im all ranty now, i've complained SEVERAL times to UPC (I had a list of sites that for no reason where blocked by them, coupled with terrible speeds) and NEVER even received a response to emails or phone calls.

so i call comreg, and bang! 1 hour later i have a voicemail from a UPC customer service manager apologising. It should not take this to be heard.

"goes off to hit punching bag"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

00sully wrote: »
    so i call comreg, and bang! 1 hour later i have a voicemail from a UPC customer service manager apologising. It should not take this to be heard.

That's most likely a coincidence. Comreg don't regulate UPC and I doubt Comreg do anything in an hour.

I'm not defending UPC, their customer care is woeful. Whenever I have problems, I pursue it until I'm satisfied with the response I get. Worse still they read these boards and know how hated and bad their CC is, that says a lot about them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Heh, epic thread. Started in 2006 and is still here ;)

I do wish NTL would provide some service for monitoring the cap. Its bull**** that they don't, imo. I don't know, nor would many others, what sort of risks your are taking, security wise, installing a third party application to monitor traffic.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    That's most likely a coincidence. Comreg don't regulate UPC and I doubt Comreg do anything in an hour.

no coincidence, i was emailing back and forth to a comreg rep for a few days and he said if i didn't get a response from UPC he would escalate it. So i told him to do so after I hadn't heard anything from UPC in 2 days.

he emailed to say i would be receiving a call and i did - and another after the message on my voicemail. I know they do not regulate ISP's - I read that on here but i had no recourse other than taking UCP to court which I was intent on doing.

btw, i got 1 months free service for tv and broadband for my efforts. service is back to the usual slow ****e :mad:

00sully wrote: »
    no coincidence, i was emailing back and forth to a comreg rep for a few days and he said if i didn't get a response from UPC he would escalate it. So i told him to do so after I hadn't heard anything from UPC in 2 days.

That's not "1 hour later". ;)

• Advertisement

That's not "1 hour later". ;)

1 hour after I agreed to let him escalate the issue ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ronan.michael@g

carrotcake wrote: »
    just as well i started using a download monitor!

if they're cutting people off for high usage then they should have a system in place for a user to check their downloads, like eircom do
    I use the following download monitor -- loads of info -- http://www.bwmonitor.com/. So good I paid after the test period! I use it to monitor my streaming webcam -- www.camstreams.com/live cams/scenery/Irish Traffic - Wicklow. Cheers Michael r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I use the following download monitor -- loads of info -- http://www.bwmonitor.com/. So good I paid after the test period! I use it to monitor my streaming webcam -- www.camstreams.com/live cams/scenery/Irish Traffic - Wicklow. Cheers Michael r.

does this work for non PCconnections - I use NTL for VOIP and streaming radio neither of which go thru the PC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

kida wrote: »
    does this work for non PCconnections - I use NTL for VOIP and streaming radio neither of which go thru the PC

No. This type of software is useless for anything other than a single computer accessing the internet. We shouldn't needs these bits of software. ISP should provide the service if they enforce caps.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Hey Guys,

If you go into Google and download the DU Meter it's pretty good for monitorring your usage...Also NTL do not diconnect your BB for high Usage, They suspend the account for 1 month and it is then reactivated...They do not monitor your downloads streams or transfers but do monitor the usage...But on that note all traffic is monitored by the server so even if they are not monitoring you they are monitoring for viruses and spyware so there is still security there...

Plus i don't know if you huys have heard this but the now have a 12MB pack with a 1MB down that has a cap of 120GB...This is savage...I'll defend UPC any day of the week...To all the PPL here who give out about companies and i don't mean UPC in general...Give out about there terms and conditions...Give out about there packages and stuff like that but don't slate there customer support or post names of there employes on here...Ask yourself "Would you like it if it was you or a member of your family"???...Also have ye ever worked in a call centre...i have and it aint an easy job...I know ye get upset over having issue and usually are just venting but consider the ppl ye are venting at...At the end of the day there not causing your issue....

Peace...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    Hey Guys,

If you go into Google and download the DU Meter it's pretty good for monitorring (sic) your usage...

DU meter is of zero use for a customer with more than one PC or laptop.
    What do UPC/NTL provide to a home user using there wireless router to
    connect more than one laptop or PC? What of a UPC customer who
    connects their Xbox 360 and/or PS3?

Between computers, consoles and other wifi devices (like a N95)
    a typical household could have several devices using the network
    and DU meter will only measure one. Plus if you stream media from
    a PC to a 360 DU meter will count it as upstream traffic, it can't
    differentiate between traffic around your home network and traffic
    sent via NTL.

No excuse for UPC not providing an online monitoring tool.

...blah...
    Do I spy an employee.

I'm sick to death of the likes of UPC peddling the likes of DU meter.

ok, I might not be the average user but these are the network devices I have in my home.

2 x Desktop PC
    1 x Laptop
    1 x Playstation 3 [PS3 to it's friends]
    2 x Playstation Portable [PSP to it's friends :)]
    1 x Nintendo DS
    1 x Internet radio streamer [can't think of the manufacturer or model off hand]
    1 x DLink Network IP video camera
    1 x Nokia N95 8GB
    1 x Nokia E60

Now, YOU tell me how DU Meter is going to monitor MY bandwidth usage. If I was on UPC [which I was until recently], how would I even begin to GUESS how much bandwitdh I use? There is no way in h3ll. The first I would know of it would be when I get a sh!tty threatening letter from them. The best bit is that when THEY tell YOU that you have exceeded your cap, you have no way of knowing if they are correct or not.

The long and the short of it is. UPC have the technology in place to know how much bandwitdh we are using on a daily basis. There is no real reason why they do not make this available to their users.

Hey Guys,

If you go into Google and download the DU Meter it's pretty good for monitorring your usage...Also NTL do not diconnect your BB for high Usage, They suspend the account for 1 month and it is then reactivated...They do not monitor your downloads streams or transfers but do monitor the usage...But on that note all traffic is monitored by the server so even if they are not monitoring you they are monitoring for viruses and spyware so there is still security there...

You are serious, right? Either you work for UPC and are trying to make them look good, or you fell for their marketing ploy.

If, as you say, UPC monitor all their users usage for virii etc, therefor are more secure. Are you trying to say that UPC customers never have to worry about installing anti virus software, or even a firewall for that matter.

Get real and research the topic before you start making unfounded claims. What you are saying just doesn't happen, especially from the likes of UPC.

And as for suspending your account for 1 month. In my book, that is the same as a disconnection. We still cannot use the service AT ALL.

Sudsy, the reason the staff get blamed is that they are unfortunately the face of the company. No one here thinks the person they are speaking to is the cause of the problem but they're answers are often less pleasant than an electric shock. This is the companies fault they should be looking at this and getting the staff better trained and more capable of dealing with problems.

How often do people hear they need a technician to call round and fix modem and one isn't available for 2 weeks, then the service comes back later that day. This doesn't help and doesn't give a good impression as obviously (deliberately or not) they have just lied to a customer. Customers want reassurance, not to hear fabrications to get them off the phone. I stress, this should be policy and only management can change that.

Yes, I worked front line many time before, be it customer service or technical support. It is hard dealing with an irate customer and generally unpleasant. If the customers can get their issues resolved on the phone they would be happy. All UPC seem to do is try to fob people off, that is not customer care.

What is it with all the pro-UPC suddenly? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

I didn't mean that they block all virus's into the server, I simply stated that it was monitored and this was in response to a port already posted on the thread so you read the threat and do research on ppl's answers before you go trying to put someone doen thinkin your smart...

In regards to defending the customer service side i know it's up to management, wasn't defending the company was defending the little guy who although didn't cause the problem they are the ones that get hammered by the customer literally...I like you have worked in a call centre i have seen receptionists put in hospital...

In regards to defending the customer service side i know it's up to management, wasn't defending the company was defending the little guy who although didn't cause the problem they are the ones that get hammered by the customer literally...

Sadly that's the job. :( Perhaps a change needs to be brought on from within, perhaps management don't know how bad it actually is. The sad thing is until how customers are dealt with changes, this won't stop.

When working part of customer care in a large bank. I used to get quite a lot of irate customers calling. The awful thing was I was totally on their side. Obviously I couldn't say this and would have to take the banks stance. Each time I got a call like this, I would bring it directly to my manager to highlight what really annoys customers. Perhaps this is done in UPC but someone isn't listening. Either way something should be done and if the CC staff are unhappy with how they're talked to by customers, they should be doing whatever needs to be done so that they can make customers happy. :)
    I like you have worked in a call centre i have seen receptionists put in hospital...

Seriously? There's never a need for that. I hope the perpetrators got what they deserved.

I didn't mean that they block all virus's into the server, I simply stated that it was monitored and this was in response to a port already posted on the thread so you read the threat and do research on ppl's answers before you go trying to put someone doen thinkin your smart...

Firstly, I'm not going to research what you said on anther thread while answering something on this one :)

Secondly, you said, and I quote....
    But on that note all traffic is monitored by the server so even if they are not monitoring you they are monitoring for viruses and spyware so there is still security there
    Emphasis mine.

You are saying that there is security there for the customer because UPC monitor for virus and spyware. How is this security for the customer? If they are only monitoring and not removing?

I don't think I'm "smart" [although I would like to think that I'm somewhat knowledgeable in technological areas], and I apologise if I am coming across as a smart ass. But comments like yours give the non technical people a false sense of security in the UPC product. There is NO security in UPC monitoring traffic as they do not remove ANY virii or spyware from traffic on their network [excluding hosted email filters]

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

How often do people hear they need a technician to call round and fix modem and one isn't available for 2 weeks, then the service comes back later that day. This doesn't help and doesn't give a good impression as obviously (deliberately or not) they have just lied to a customer. Customers want reassurance, not to hear fabrications to get them off the phone. I stress, this should be policy and only management can change that.

Yes, I worked front line many time before, be it customer service or technical support. It is hard dealing with an irate customer and generally unpleasant. If the customers can get their issues resolved on the phone they would be happy. All UPC seem to do is try to fob people off, that is not customer care.

What is it with all the pro-UPC suddenly? ;)

Pretty much sums up my experience of UPC to date. Shoddy customer service, and I've told them that in a recent complaint, have they bothered to deal with my complaint apart from acknowledge its receipt .... OF COURSE NOT!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,684 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I agree I think it would be better to punish customers who pay late and charge them the 2 euros a lot like the credit cards late payment charges. Not sure about the legalities on what they are doing.
    tsewang wrote: »
    Hi!

most users of the UPC - NTL Broadband have probably already been "surprised" by the latest €2 extra charge for not using direct debit for paying the bill.

this charge looks to me unlawful as it has not been agreed in the contract between us and the UPC company. this is really not a nice way of treating the customers!

i am not a lawyer, but if there is anybody on the forum who may know the legal stuff, please advise we as NTL users can refuse to pay the extra charge in this situation.

Maybe it's worth to contact The Consumers' Association of Ireland.

please let me know your opinions - the more of us the better chances to win!

cheers,
    Andrew

Advertisement