Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Strange, i did a lot of transfer last month and heard nothing.

NTL are gradually lowering their standards to match the rest of the Irish BB market.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jail8ird

I found a very helpful article on ISPs advertising
    'free' broadband on The Register site:

http://tinyurl.com/hfepj

It made me aware of the small print you never
    usually read.

Also search for 'broadband limit' for other interesting
    articles.

J8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Moriarty wrote:
    No real point adding a poll imo.

no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

bk wrote:
    As I suspected a few months ago, since NTL merged with Chorus, NTL is starting to slip from one of the best ISP's to one of the worst.

First of all we have all the problems with them routing all traffic through Amsterdam and now this.

Ironically if they bothered to peer in INEX, they mightn't need to do this. For instance Microsoft is peered in the INEX, so all of your xbox360 downloads would be very cheap to do if they bothered to just peer with MS in the INEX. But because they are routing through Amsterdam, of course it is going to be very expensive and cause a bottleneck.

If UPC continues this way they are going to be losing lots of their customers to Smart and Magnet and lose any positive good will that they had built up.

Just FYI, NTL UK (no longer related to NTL Ireland) use to have a 75GB cap, but now has no cap and is unlimited.

I totally aggree with you on this Bk. I actually signed up here when NTL had a no cap policy but in the last few years Smart and Magnet have both become available in my area and they are starting to look like a better/cheaper option than NTL now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

bk wrote:
    Ironically if they bothered to peer in INEX, they mightn't need to do this. For instance Microsoft is peered in the INEX, so all of your xbox360 downloads would be very cheap to do if they bothered to just peer with MS in the INEX. But because they are routing through Amsterdam, of course it is going to be very expensive and cause a bottleneck.
    exactly. instead of fixing their own shortcomings they're putting the blame on customers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

Just got another call from NTL, (its unusual, i never get a call back from them, and i get 2 today, they must be taking this seriously)

Apparently everyone will be called in the next 24 hours by the broadband management team in relation to the letter that was sent to them. The girl said that she did not know whether they are just ringing to say we are definately being cut off or to be told youve one last chance , just have to wait for them to call!

i will let you know how this pans out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭dathiultaigh

bk wrote:
    As I suspected a few months ago, since NTL merged with Chorus, NTL is starting to slip from one of the best ISP's to one of the worst.

First of all we have all the problems with them routing all traffic through Amsterdam and now this.

Definatly have to agree with BK on this. Previous to a few months back I never had to call their tech line. When I did call to highlite routing issues as i was seeing latency with their network the tech agent hadn't a clue what I was on about but to be fair he did call me back later stating the issue was fixed ... unfortunatly that was about a month back and I have definatly not noticed an improvement.

Also I do DL using torrent clients and in no way am i excessive in the amount of data I DL but I have noticed sometimes my client just will not connect with anything. I know how to configure my NW and bittorrent client, I know this is not an issue on my end, and this has all changed in the last month. WTF IS NTL DOING?

I will definatly move onto another ISP if this does not change.

All the disconnections are going ahead. so 80 customers are loosing their broadband connections next week, and then more each month!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Did they say about a method for monitoring usage?

If you got 4 letters then fair enough. However as you said you got none of them it is really bad form. Smart may find a lot of new business coming soon....

yeah i know, didnt get one of them, and he couldnt find them on the system either, more bad admin on NTLs part.

They didnt mention what method they were using either!

He said he will definately get the broadband support to call me to discuss this. although i dont know if arguing the case will do any good., might just cancel ntl digital too and go to magnet

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not seen any "caution" letters or any final letters myself, although I'm averaging just under 1GB a day so with luck I'll be ok :)

4 warning is more than enough in my opinion! as I've said in my second post its not like any utility provider to give one warning and cut someone off!

they do seem like they are clamping dow, howver ceck the T&C's of your contract to see if you can challenge them on what is happening!

Solicitors letter?? Demand proof of the over the top usage, and ask how are you to monitor if they don't provide adequate bandwidth monitring tools!

yeah 4 letters is definately enough, god one letter would have been enough, but i didnt get any. just a letter to say im being disconnected. and the fact that the manager of the department couldnt see when these supposed letter were actually sent to me either doesnt help.

yeah 4 letters is definately enough, god one letter would have been enough, but i didnt get any. just a letter to say im being disconnected. and the fact that the manager of the department couldnt see when these supposed letter were actually sent to me either doesnt help.

get scanned copies of the other three! do they exist?? (you need to strenghten your case)

i asked john makey the manager for copies of the letters that were
    sent to me and he said he would look into it, but theres no stopping NTL just typing up letters and putting specific dates on them. well i think anyway.

i asked john makey the manager for copies of the letters that were
    sent to me and he said he would look into it, but theres no stopping NTL just typing up letters and putting specific dates on them. well i think anyway.

to be honest that would not be in thier ineterst! they would be slatted in court over this, you have to give them some sort of credit! it has been mentioned in the past, people get letters! however it is in your case , the letters! and dates! so you can stop them cutting you off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They never sent these warnings out. They may have been told to send them out and never did and are in cover up mode :(

How did these hogs (say 300 hogs nationwide ) allegedly get 4 warnings each (1200 letters) and nobody heard a damn thing until the final disconnect letters were sent out

is there others here who got them ? or any previuos letter? it is very seriuos for a corporation to make false allegations about "correpondance" that actually never went out! very serious! this could back fire very easily.

spongebob I think he said there was 80 people. 300 is a bit high... but your right there should be someone who can post up a letter ??

i have actually heard of people on boards getting this letter, its come up once or twice before, but it was never scanned up so i dont know what it looks like. to be honest, NTL are terrible with correspondence though, id say lots of letters were meant to be sent to people but their staff just arent the best

this is the old letter they were sending out...

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/3461/letterxl3.gif

• Advertisement

never got that letter, although that letter seems fair, but it also says it doesnt wanna place restrictions, i think disconnection is not a restriction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Anyone know what streaming radio usage is? I have the radio on my PC all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

I have just recieved a letter from NTL warning me that I downloaded 50.8GB during August and that if I continue to exceed the 40GB limit I would be cut off.

I use DU Meter to check how much I download and when I checked August it tells me I have only downloaded 34.6GB

I don't have any other computers or a wireless network setup so how can this be??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

carrotcake wrote:
    this is the old letter they were sending out...
    old letter wrote:
    or around 100 software programmes per day
    Pfff, even evaluation versions of some programs span into the hundreds of megs, NTL need to get with the times IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mandrk

Mojito wrote:
    I have just recieved a letter from NTL warning me that I downloaded 50.8GB during August and that if I continue to exceed the 40GB limit I would be cut off.

I use DU Meter to check how much I download and when I checked August it tells me I have only downloaded 34.6GB

I don't have any other computers or a wireless network setup so how can this be??

Does the 40GB cap include up and download. You downloaded 34.6G could you have uploaded 16.2G? ..... I doubt it!

as far as i know it's just download. sometimes ntl refer to the cap as being for 'download' and sometimes for 'usage'. i download 40gb every month and around that much for uploads too, and haven't gotten a letter since i started watching my downloads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Mojito wrote:

ah so they are sending warnings out but from now on . Where did those other letters disappear though :(

the previous warning posted by carrotcake was a warning to blanchardstown users or to users in some area where there were network problems exacerbated by hogs. They were not sent to all users who were over the caps by a similar amount .

I have no issue with Chello/NTL cracking down and enforcing caps as such , only with suddenly disconnecting people who were never given a chance to moderate their behaviour first.

Chello/NTL are cracking down because they are introducing VoIP shortly and it will be affected by hogs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

One of you guys should set up a upc-sucks website and post all the letters etc.

Get some attention on this and let people know that UPC is quickly becoming one of the worst ISP's.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭seinstein

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Chello/NTL are cracking down because they are introducing VoIP shortly and it will be affected by hogs.

What is this VoIP you talk about Bob?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

seinstein wrote:
    What is this VoIP you talk about Bob?:confused:

It's "Voice Over Internet Protocol" it allows you to make and recive calls over your BB connection at a lot less cost to normal phone calls. there is a section about it in Tech->Net & comms.

Advertisement