Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

bk wrote:
    Personally I think a letter should be compiled of all our complaints and sent to the head of UPC Broadband Ireland, but also sent to Greg Maffei, CEO of Liberty Media (UPC's owners) and to the Sunday Business Post.

Also some sort of UPC Sucks site should be set up, listing all of the complaints.

That would likely catch the attention very quickly.

Not a bad idea as well... Only snag is it will only be one letter and it will just contain the anonymous names of forum users... (then again the impact will depend on how much they care about their customers... )

Might be better if each user wrote personally and referred back to this thread... If enough people highlight it it might sink in...

Good idea to hammer the CEOs though...

"Dear CEO,
    You are haemorrhaging customers for the following reasons" :p "

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok I just got a phone call from NTL about my slow BB, they said i have to ring back when i get home and do some tests. When i mentioned that i was aware of problems he asked ahd i read in on Boards.ie, I said yes and he said that one reason why my connection could be slow is from people in my area exceeding their download limit.

So if they had an automatic shutoff then surely this one stop the problems i have with my connection?

On and I found out I have a 2MB connection, meh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

6th wrote:
    By let them have it I mean tell them all the problems I have, all the bad things I heard and anyaything else that comes to mind. I dont shout at people in situations like that - i've dealt with nasty customers and dont see the point.

Apologies. A lot of people think that if you shout at whoever answers the phone it will help when in fact all it does is annoy some poor person. I thought you were one of them. :)

No problem, I worked with the public for long enough to know it doesnt help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

paulm17781 wrote:
    A lot of people think that if you shout at whoever answers the phone it will help when in fact all it does is annoy some poor person.
    Yes, it's far more useful to talk ver-eee slooow-lee for them and just keep repeating what you want until you get it.
    I only resort to shouting very slowly when the normal-tone approach fails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

sham69 wrote:
    IAm panicking now as I am fairly high user but don't mind paying the extra. I am supposed to be on a 6mb line but its only measuring in at 3?

Have a look at this:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054988942

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Not to mention other stuff to mention like the rubbish routing, the fact that the newsgroup access is next to useless now..

This is a big beef for me aswell.

I used to get 1102 KB/s from their news server.

I know get 60 KB/s.

Boo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

6th wrote:
    Ok I just got a phone call from NTL about my slow BB, they said i have to ring back when i get home and do some tests. When i mentioned that i was aware of problems he asked ahd i read in on Boards.ie, I said yes and he said that one reason why my connection could be slow is from people in my area exceeding their download limit.

So if they had an automatic shutoff then surely this one stop the problems i have with my connection?

On and I found out I have a 2MB connection, meh.

Did you ask him why the slow speeds had only become prevalent when UPC took over? It is not today nor yesterday that people started exceeding their cap with NTL:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

has anyone posted a copy of one of these letters??

its all hersay until we see one!

call me doubting Thomas but I really would like to see the content!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

They've probably been disconnected :)

• Advertisement

I was just on complaining about how slow my BB is and the very nice girl told me it might be 2 weeks until its up to speed again. She says they are issuing letter to people going over their limits and that they will be disconnecting them in the next while - this will speed up my connection :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭xbox360dublin

the letters were sent on the 4th september, the disconnections are taking place on the 14th of september, they are all going ahead, no appeals, they dont care, i keep getting through to the waterford department but they wont help me, i keep asking who is dealing with it but they dont know exactly, which is weird!

so back to eircom for me!

was going to use magnet but it takes 4 weeks apparently according to their sales dept

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Maybe try NTL HQ , 01 2458000

But the letters dont say that they are cutting anyone off. They just say that they will cut you off if you continue as you are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

But the letters dont say that they are cutting anyone off. They just say that they will cut you off if you continue as you are going.

Didnt xbox360dublin get a letter sayings hes being cut off this week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

...what?

Try reading the title or the content of the thread

I again want to see the letters. I think this might be a scare thread started by NTL .......

okaaaay

Ive met xbox360dublin, I did some work for him two weeks ago. He didnt strike me as the sort of person to make this stuff up. He did strike me as the sort of person to do a lot of internet traffic. :)

There is no reason to disbelieve him

NTL sent warnings to some and disconnects to a select few.

These are being processed in the NTL Waterford call centre. NTL have announced they are closing this Waterford centre so NOBODY down there gives a **** any more.

The decision makers who decided that the hogs must go (but only after 4 warnings that were never sent out ) are either in

1. Chorus HQ bunker in Limerick 1890 20 20 29 or 1890 417 888 or +353 61 272120

or

2. NTL East wall bunker , 01 2458000

Contact them, not Waterford. Waterford is only a zombie film set for the Living Dead Reloaded .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Couple of drappers posts deleted due to irrelevant pants.

• Advertisement

has anyone been cut yet? I've spoken to my contact in NTL at a high level and he was not aware of any letter and has asked if there is a copy that can be posted, NTL do read Boards.

Is this The Revenge Of The Living Dead in Waterford so Drapper ????

Their motto, 'we have no jobs so you have no customers' :p

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Is this The Revenge Of The Living Dead in Waterford so Drapper ????

Their motto, 'we have no jobs so you have no customers' :p

Think your right, tis not nice what they are doing, jobs being lost is not a nice thing!

Drapper wrote:
    've spoken to my contact in NTL at a high level and he was not aware of any letter
    What? Someone in NTL not aware whats going on within the company? I simply refuse to believe it. That could never happen.

The Living Dead will have 6 more months of fun fun fun zombie stuff with the customer base, and then they are gone .

It was a bit stupid to have all NTL customer support in one call centre and to tell them they would all be let go before another call centre was ready to take up ANY of the slack.

Ah Well :(

CiaranC wrote:
    ...what?

Try reading the title or the content of the thread

Sorry I did read the thread, just not very closely.

I thought that everyone here had gotten the same letter as me, saying "FINAL NOTICE" or some such, and that you had one more chance to behaave yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭#Smokey#

all irish ISP's should have another category for BB lines so there would be

|Personal/Residential| Downloader/Internet Junkie| Business

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have been cut off and have even gone as far as talking to the customer services manager, there is no way I am allowed back on the NTL service she says so I have in turn cancelled all my NTL services so hello Sky and BT. Thank god for 3G datacards or no interent for me

What already ???

Did you get a notice in writing ?

Did you get 4 letters warning you to moderate ?

When did you get a letter that said 'disconnect notice' on it ??

Did it come 2 weeks before the disconnect happened or more ?

How much did you d/l in the month before the disconnect letter went out , I'd suspect 80Gb + or double the cap .

How long are you cut off now ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

TCP/IP wrote:
    I have been cut off and have even gone as far as talking to the customer services manager, there is no way I am allowed back on the NTL service she says so I have in turn cancelled all my NTL services so hello Sky and BT. Thank god for 3G datacards or no interent for me

This is a very foolish business move by NTL. Granted, if my service improves I'll be happy but NTL were starting to make some impact. Cutting people off won't help them.

Advertisement