Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl Cutting Off High Usage Users

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Sponge Bob wrote:
    What already ???

Did you get a notice in writing ?

Did you get 4 letters warning you to moderate ?

When did you get a letter that said 'disconnect notice' on it ??

Did it come 2 weeks before the disconnect happened or more ?

How much did you d/l in the month before the disconnect letter went out , I'd suspect 80Gb + or double the cap .

How long are you cut off now ??

Yes already

Got a letter on 2nd Sept

Got one letter

Came nearly two weeks ago

D/L 61 gigs am on the 6mb max package

Got cut off today

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

ooo i can see this getting really interesting now, not only have they disconencted you but they are effectively refusing to offer you service in the future too, sounds like they really reduced the amount of paid transit to cut costs, and are really slimming down their customer base to reduce the 'average usage' completely.

so, NTL here are changing to chello/UPC and NTL-Telewest in the UK are changing to Virgin brand lol.

best thing they could do right now once they merge Chorus and NTL networks together, is to actualy start peering in Ireland at INEX and have decent transit routes to UK, Europe and USA, and decent backhaul/uplink capacities, right now, it really looks like its a mess.

perhaps capacity is being reduced on 'old networks' while they are setting up/upgrading a new merged network or something, hence the current slowdowns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

TCP/IP wrote:
    Got one letter

D/L 61 gigs am on the 6mb max package

Jeez, thats only 50% over the Cap :eek: , you are not a real hog at all :eek: unless that 61Gb month happened to be a quiet one by your standards .

Was the 'manager' one of the Living Dead in Waterford too ?

I'm astounded that they would not warn someone 50% over the cap to chill a bit instead of disconnecting them in 2 weeks flat . I could understand them being a bit rude and ruthless with a 200Gb + a month Hog so I could and it could easily be done with 6mbits .

I think jnive is onto something about the transit here , their lack of peering in Ireland means that the top 5% of users are hammering them but thats their own fault for chopping the Inex connection themselves.

Dopes

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

no manager was from head office she did let it slip this was all done to been taken over that it was all change in there. Ah well just got my phone line enabled so the missus is happy and now to get one of the BT phone and internet packages ah well bye bye NTL and Blueface

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

yah, seems liek they allocated a certain extra bandwidth from their UK/Amsterdam nodes to connect Chorus and NTL up to. But they did so on the assumption that caps were actually enforced ( lol, i wonder who forgot to check that lol ).

So, along they come, hook up NTL and CHrous networks onto the new uplink to their networks, and BAM!!, not enough transit and most connections now go to pot lol.

So they say, yo, NTL, you retards, you never told us that you had these hogs on your system lol. So they do the easy thing and say byebye, rather than put even more money into upgrading their systems ( since that would effectively be raising the price at which they paid to buy NTL and Chorus ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Oh my god, what a bunch of total retards. Dumping people for doing 61gb of transfer on a 6mb/sec connection.

This is even better than when they sent an 'engineer' out to my house who didnt even know they provided internet services!

on the 1st of April in your rented accomodation you start hammering the line and sucking them oul .ISO files from the Sourceforge mirror in Amsterdam.

end april you get the 2 week disconnect notice

Cut off mid may and no more 1 year contract because NTL cancelled it themselves, that should save you a packet over the summer :p

I hereby recommend standard one year NTL contracts (1st 3 months free ) to all my student friends !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah that is actually genius.

I think I'll get them to cut me off next month, after I've sorted out a package with BT or some other company. Nice way to have no downtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

TCP/IP,

So it was a clean cut....and you dont have to pay them until the end of contract or something like that?

Going 50% over the CAP of 40GB on a 6Mbit line and getting 2 weeks notice that your connection will be terminated is an absolute joke!

Well as with ALL cable systems due to their setup....one person can destroy the internet for the entire neighbourhood, unlike DSL.....but kicking someone off for downloadings 60GB on a 6mbit connection !!!!

Things are really looking up for Chello Ireland especially since it appears that the people in charge of Chorus will be now in charge of NTL's network!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote:
    on the 1st of April in your rented accomodation you start hammering the line and sucking them oul .ISO files from the Sourceforge mirror in Amsterdam.

end april you get the 2 week disconnect notice

Cut off mid may and no more 1 year contract because NTL cancelled it themselves, that should save you a packet over the summer :p

I hereby recommend standard one year NTL contracts (1st 3 months free ) to all my student friends !

Surely the next step will be a chip off the BT block and introduce a deposit (or an interest free loan:) ) which is payable by anyone under shall we say 30? (on the basis that us old fogies dont do downloads!) and the deposit is forefitted immediately the cap is broken.

Then in a blaze of publicity they introduce a competition for young mathemiticians whc can puzzle over how anyone can download 40g a month with a daily 1g limit!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

We should have a competition to see who can do the most transfer in a single month, get a hundred or so of us onboard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zwyrolek

Hi. I have Ntl max 6mb broadband (tree months free) from 25th of July and I made download transfer 405Gb:D and I still can’t stop this. I quite scared after this what I was read here. What you think they will cut off me? I didn’t got any calls or letters from Ntl. I’ll try don’t go over this limit in next month. It’s really hard don’t go over when you have 6mb broadband.:(
    How big you have usually transfer in torrents? I have average 150kb/s.
    testks7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

zwyrolek wrote:
    Hi. I have Ntl max 6mb broadband (tree months free) from 25th of July and I made download transfer 405Gb:D and I still can’t stop this. I quite scared after this what I was read here. What you think they will cut off me? I didn’t got any calls or letters from Ntl. I’ll try don’t go over this limit in next month. It’s really hard don’t go over when you have 6mb broadband.:(
    How big you have usually transfer in torrents? I have average 150kb/s.

Judging by TCP/IP going over by 21GB, expect to say goodbye to your connection. Excuse my frankness but you are just taking the piss with your connection. You KNOW that the cap is 40GB. You KNOW that you have used 405GB [per month or so far?].

Of course you can cut down, you just don't want to. If you are scared, then cut down to under 40GB per month for a while. But it's already probably too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭juliuspret

Hey zwyrolek,

Everyone can see your IP in the pic you posted...includeing NTL and if they didnt know about you before.....they WILL NOW!!!

I advice you to delete that pic ASAP as NTL will certainly know who you are by cross referencing their database of IP's to customer locations!

I just did a quick whois on it:
    inetnum: 89.100.0.0 - 89.100.74.255
    netname: DBL-TALLAGHT-CUSTOMER-CABLE
    descr: Customers Dublin/Tallaght
    admin-c: HMCB1-RIPE
    tech-c: HMCB1-RIPE
    remarks: Contact abuse@chello.ie concerning criminal
    remarks: activities like spam, hacks, portscans
    mnt-by: CHELLO-MNT
    source: RIPE # Filtered

role: Hostmaster Chello Broadband
    address: UPC Broadband
    address: Internet Services
    address: Erlachgasse 116
    address: A-1100 Vienna
    address: Austria
    phone: +43 1 96068 5000
    fax-no: +43 1 96068 5666
    e-mail: hostmaster@chello.at

For downloading 400GB+.....you are 100% certain to get your contract terminated!!!

DELETE THAT PICTURE ABOVE NOW!

141KB max upload???.....odd!
    A constant ~70KB upload...impressive for Ireland.
    Youve downloaded 9.3GB today alone!!!!!!!

2 months = 400GB.......have you a couple of VERY large HDD's spare or a LOT of DVD's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zwyrolek

juliuspret wrote:
    Hey zwyrolek,

Everyone can see your IP in the pic you posted...includeing NTL and if they didnt know about you before.....they WILL NOW!!!

I advice you to delete that pic ASAP as NTL will certainly know who you are by cross referencing their database of IP's to customer locations!

I just did a quick whois on it:

For downloading 400GB+.....you are 100% certain to get your contract terminated!!!

DELETE THAT PICTURE ABOVE NOW!

141KB max upload???.....odd!
    A constant ~70KB upload...impressive for Ireland.
    Youve downloaded 9.3GB today alone!!!!!!!

2 months = 400GB.......have you a couple of VERY large HDD's spare or a LOT of DVD's?
    Opsss :p BIG THX juliuspret

This 141kb of upload is software mistake it’s always max 70

I have one 320GB hard drive and a few DVD’s I want buy another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

CiaranC wrote:
    We should have a competition to see who can do the most transfer in a single month, get a hundred or so of us onboard.

ROFL I bet that would go down well..

I think rather than being punished, zwyrolek should be commended for his honesty and record breaking (for an irish home connection) achievement lol :D .

I wouldn't be surprised if he actually slipped the net and they continued cutting off users for 1 - 2 gigs over the cap. :p

You could also complain to their head of PR , anna maria barry ( annamariabarry@ntl.com or annamariabarry@ntl.ie) but be careful.

She does not like to hear about PR disasters directly from her customers base and has turned downright nasty on a Boards person before...trying to get them sacked for emailing her

Read This

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Barry_Anna-Maria_127174981.aspx

and this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40861

and

http://www.pacemicro.com/apac/ir/pacenewsitem.asp?id=898

Mind you if you wanted to terminate your contract in a hurry :p

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Jonnie_Onion

zwyrolek wrote:
    Opsss :p BIG THX juliuspret

This 141kb of upload is software mistake it’s always max 70

I have one 320GB hard drive and a few DVD’s I want buy another one

I wouldn't bother, you won't have a connection soon.

My connection is currently unusable in the evening. Whatever the reason, they need to sort it out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Weird behaviour on my ntl modem at the moment. The recv and enet lights are flickering like mad as if i was downloading something except im not!

Anyone else notice this? Galway city... or anywhere

It even happens if i plug out the wifi router attached to it so its definitely not someone leeching in, plus the sent light never flickers so theres no requests going up the line. The only device on the net in the house at the moment is this pc and sygate is showing no traffic in or out...

This happening anyone else at the moment? - i hope with the way ntl are at the moment this isnt being seen as downloading and is adding up!

I tried powering off the modem for a little while and it starts happening as it synchs each time...

Has to be something ntl are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

signed up for Eircom to-day! goodbye NTL

peering will not be sorted and I can;t VPN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

If they threaten to cut you off just say you have a wifi router and your neighbour's little twirp of a kid kept downloading games over your connection because you didn't know how to set a password.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Weird behaviour on my ntl modem at the moment. The recv and enet lights are flickering like mad as if i was downloading something except im not!

Anyone else notice this? Galway city... or anywhere

Yep in Galway City got the same thing.
    From the routers logs it's loads of bootpc packets.
    Seem to be from a NTL server.
    Better not be using up all my allowance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

Drapper wrote:

I'm jumping ship as of tomorrow as well. I didn't get a letter but their service is going down the tubes rapidly and the petty behaviour they have displayed in cutting off customers is the last straw. FFS you can't even get in touch with them and when you do you get nowhere. I will make sure they know exactly why i'm leaving as well. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

Drapper wrote:

Why would you go to Eircon of all people

Besides that people are not being disconnected because they are going 1 or 2 gigs over the cap the people who reported that they were being disconnected for downloading 41 gigs etc never said what package they are on the 40 gig cap is only for people on the 6Mb service so if they are on the 1Mb package then the dowload cap is 16 gigs so that means they were 150% over their allowed download which would be the same as someone on the 6Mb package doing 100gigs a month.
    I agree that NTLs service has gone drastically downhill but the people raping the bandwidth are adding to the problem they are not the cause of the problem but they are not helping so in the absense of any other solution they have to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any chance of somebody posting a scan of a letter?
    TCP/IP wrote:
    Ah well just got my phone line enabled so the missus is happy and now to get one of the BT phone and internet packages ah well bye bye NTL and Blueface

Such a shame that companies like Blueface will also suffer because of this :(

Another reason for dumping people going over the caps if NTL are trying to make their network usable for when they launch VoIP, as at present it can vary a good bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Cabaal wrote:
    Any chance of somebody posting a scan of a letter?

Such a shame that companies like Blueface will also suffer because of this :(

second this ! would love to see the letter

but I've applied for DSL and NTL will be getting the boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I wouldn't bother, you won't have a connection soon.

My connection is currently unusable in the evening. Whatever the reason, they need to sort it out soon.

Maybe you live near zwyrolek and are on the same cable head-end.
    zwyrolek should remember that cable users share the bandwidth available and is a bit like a car user driving in the bus lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Sponge Bob wrote:
    You could also complain to their head of PR , anna maria barry ( annamariabarry@ntl.com or annamariabarry@ntl.ie) but be careful.

She does not like to hear about PR disasters directly from her customers base and has turned downright nasty on a Boards person before...trying to get them sacked for emailing her

Read This

http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Barry_Anna-Maria_127174981.aspx

and this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40861

and

http://www.pacemicro.com/apac/ir/pacenewsitem.asp?id=898

Mind you if you wanted to terminate your contract in a hurry :p

Maybe we should all mail her from our hotmail accounts!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 mandrk

Drapper wrote:

Drapper,
    Can you elaborate on this? I know you've said before you've a contact in NTL. What do you know that they aren't/won't/can't tell us?

Plus I assume you've just asked €ircon to connect you then taking your business elsewhere!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'm one of the people who only went 7 gigs over my cap, I'm on broadband max and I got the letter.

Then again I did get one back in march or april and I have seriously raped the service some months.

Congestion was never an issue on my cable ring until Chello showed up though, I got 1101 KB/s +- 1KB.s no matter what time of day it was and pings never varied.

I think I'll have to stick with the tossers though because a fresh 12 month contract with some other crowd wouldn't suit me at all. Sigh... Just going to have to get used to 40-50 Choke when playing online games.

Advertisement