Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which Phone?- 3.5mm earphones, mp3, 2.1+megapixel. 2gb MMC

• 06-09-2006 11:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for a new phone that will take standard 3.5mm earphones, will accept up to 2GB MMC, has a decent camera, at least 2.1megapixel (but if pic quality was really good I would settle for 1.3).

I want the mp3 software on it to be good, or upgradeable. I do not care about bluetooth or any other fancy stuff.

Any ideas? will spend up to €400

I have been looking at the nokia N91.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

The Nokia N80 is smaller then n91 with better features except card slot instead of hard drive. N80 uses pop port but comes with adapter for normal headphones.

Else try the sony walkman phones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The N73 is also a good phone, it has all the same features of the N80 bar the WiFi and the slightly smaller screen. The N73 also has the better camera (3.2Mpx).

Neither the N73 or the N80 support MMC, they both use miniSD cards instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Both the N73 and N80 need adaptors for 3.5mm. I had one on my 6230i and hated it, it broke after 2 months, always thought it would, added to the size of the phone and made it more awkward in my pocket.

I am now looking at the sony's. When I got the 6230i I considered the sonys but they were expensive and the cards were twice the price of MMC back then. Now sony cards are cheaper. I do not like the thought of the N91 having a hard disk. My phone gets a lot of abuse and a HD would soon pack in. My 6230i is broken but at least I have the card, if the HD goes in the N91 I may as well bin the lot. I also reckon the HD would eat more batteries. and 4gb is not great, 8gb sd cards are out now and are pretty cheap

Strange how few come with 3.5 jacks, nokia make a big deal about the N91 having it, why not stick it on all of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

the gf got a w810i the other day and it has standard 3.5 mm jack, really nice phone

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

some thing like the hpm-70 is a handsfree kit for a recent model sony ericcon that comes w/ a 3.5 mm jack in it.

or motorola have new bluetooth head phones that can play mp3's off your phone

/EDIT that should have pointed out that the k800 would be an absolutley smashing phone to buy, you can up the memory to about 2Gb i think and the camera rules

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 assasinator

heggie wrote:
    the gf got a w810i the other day and it has standard 3.5 mm jack, really nice phone

The W810i doen't have a 3.5mm jack, it has an adapter that you plug into....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

The Sony 3.5mm adaptor is a lot sturdier than the Nokia one. Been using it in various phones for a year with no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Get a newer Windows Powered Smartphone that uses AKU2 and will give you stereo over bluetooth. Then you buy a nice set of wireless headphones and you load up your card with music (or sync to it with windows).

MMC cards are large by todays standards, so you might be limiting the choices of phones with that card.

Cheers
    Howard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 assasinator

hshortt wrote:
    Get a newer Windows Powered Smartphone that uses AKU2 and will give you stereo over bluetooth. Then you buy a nice set of wireless headphones and you load up your card with music (or sync to it with windows).

MMC cards are large by todays standards, so you might be limiting the choices of phones with that card.

Cheers
    Howard

AKU2 does not necessarily mean stereo bluetooth, it refers to push email functionality. Phones that support stereo bluetooth (or A2DP) are currently limited, the most obvious one being the Motorola V3X. However, I guess that more A2DP handsets will become available soon. Windows Mobile is poor in terms of usability compared to the Nokia/Sony Ericsson symbian phones, unless you need to use it for specific windows applications....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

hshortt wrote:
    Yeah I am seeing that now, I could probably sell it, they cost very little these days.
    I still would like a standard 3.5mm jack without adaptors. I have good quality earphones which I would like to use, they are shure e3c which are also sound isolation canal earphones so I would be able to hear people on the phone in busy places too. Mp3 functionality is first on my list, then camera, then phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

AKU2 does not necessarily mean stereo bluetooth, it refers to push email functionality. Phones that support stereo bluetooth (or A2DP) are currently limited, the most obvious one being the Motorola V3X. However, I guess that more A2DP handsets will become available soon. Windows Mobile is poor in terms of usability compared to the Nokia/Sony Ericsson symbian phones, unless you need to use it for specific windows applications....

Absolutely, my apolagies, it's A2DP not AKU2.

Cheers

Advertisement