Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers Poll [Sept-Dec 06]

Options
  • 06-09-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭

As per previous poll.

Only vote for providers you have current personal experience of using, so it gives as fair a snapshot as is possible of the current state of services.

Any I've missed, suggest them in here and they'll get added.

Are you happy with your broadband provider? 570 votes

I have BT and am happy
    0% 0 votes
    I have BT and am NOT happy
    12% 69 votes
    I have Clearwire and am happy
    5% 29 votes
    I have Clearwire and am NOT happy
    1% 7 votes
    I have Digiweb METRO and am happy
    1% 10 votes
    I have Digiweb METRO and am NOT happy
    4% 28 votes
    I have Digiweb (other) and am happy
    0% 1 vote
    I have Digiweb (other) and am NOT happy
    2% 13 votes
    I have eircom and am happy
    1% 7 votes
    I have eircom and am NOT happy
    12% 70 votes
    I have imagine and am happy
    3% 20 votes
    I have imagine and am NOT happy
    0% 5 votes
    I have IrishBroadband (IBB) and am happy
    0% 4 votes
    I have IrishBroadband (IBB) and am NOT happy
    7% 43 votes
    I have magnet and am happy
    4% 23 votes
    I have magnet and am NOT happy
    1% 11 votes
    I have Net1 and am happy
    0% 1 vote
    I have Net1 and am NOT happy
    0% 1 vote
    I have Netsource and am happy
    0% 2 votes
    I have Netsource and am NOT happy
    2% 15 votes
    I have NTL and am happy
    0% 2 votes
    I have NTL and am NOT happy
    7% 41 votes
    I have O2 3G and am happy
    5% 32 votes
    I have O2 3G and am NOT happy
    0% 0 votes
    I have Smart and am happy
    0% 3 votes
    I have Smart and am NOT happy
    8% 49 votes
    I have UTV and am happy
    1% 6 votes
    I have UTV and am NOT happy
    3% 22 votes
    I have Vodafone 3G and am happy
    0% 5 votes
    I have Vodafone 3G and am NOT happy
    0% 5 votes
    I have another provider (please specify) and am happy
    0% 1 vote
    I have another provider (please specify) and am NOT happy
    1% 10 votes
    I want broadband but can't get it because I fail the line test/exchange not enabled/out of range
    1% 9 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    4% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I'm using a crowd called FWI (www.fwi.ie) and cover from Ballina to Killaloe to Clonlara in Co. Clare.

Its a wireless service with 1mb up and down as their standard package and no download limit. I'd recommend them if you're living in those areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

BT here.. grand... just stay away from their voice package which i am unable to get due to the idiots constantly loosing my application. Customer service is terrible.
    The broadband package though is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

I've got the eircom 1mb package, I'm happy in as far as it does what it says on the tin consistently. The price though is robbery, think I might switch to BT (depending on how many votes they get here)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daffy_duc

I'm with Irish Broadband.

I used to have their 4mbit Breeze service, which was fantastic.

I've since moved, and while I'm waiting for permission to install on the building, Ripwave works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I have Chorus in Naas. 6Mb:512Kb. Works brilliantly for me and I always get full speed. I would say that I am mostly happy in that the product does everything I ask of it. The only problem I have is a totally stupid 40GB cap on the 6Mb connection. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭nl

Im with Net1. They have been great. Absolutly no complaints for the last 4 months. Very consistent speed and the ping times are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gary.b

Imagine recently changed their pricing.

"Always On" package: 1024 kbit down / 128 kbit up | 20 gigs download limit - (€19.99 a month ) Can now be "Upgraded" to the same package but for €9.99 a month. Not as great as it sounds.

Catch: They want €50 for getting rid of a "1" in some input field next to my account number... - And enter a fresh 12 month contract with them.

There is no way a few clicks of the mouse can cost €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Still with BT after nearly 2 years now (or was it 3? O_o). They're grand as long as you don't have to deal with them personally :D

Only problems with actual connection was when the exchange on Roches St. imploded (Eircom's fault), our phone line got damaged (crappy carpenter's fault), and I killed my router (possibly my fault - who's to say?).

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

The vodafone unlimited 3g product is not listed, I have it, am happy with it but would prefer a wired solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

May be a good place to ask this question. I'm with Eircom for phone and broadband. Its robbery and I'm going to switch. Is BT worth a shout as it looks a lot cheaper!

Also is the eircom router (the wireless one) good to use on BT once I copy the settings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭davehey79

im with Crossan Cable Longford on 9MB download, 650k upload for 39.90 a month and very happy with it. great for downloading the big demos on xbox live for the 360

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Net1, O2 3G and Vodafone 3G added as options.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Moriarty

How about other regional WISPs such as

Permanet
    Westnet
    Fastnet
    Lashtmile
    IceComms
    Torque
    PremierBB

and franchise operations such as

Hosting365BB
    Amocom

to name but a selection that is by no means definitive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Vadrefjorde

I'm with NTL and despite the recent changover(downgrade) all is still well. I would consider moving to IBB for the higher upload speed if they weren't still sh*t :)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm on Smart's 3mbit package. No problems since I joined up about 6 months ago. Has been very reliable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

currently i have the worst thing on that list ' not being able to get broadband at all' although whether atari jaguar is better or worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

iregk wrote:
    May be a good place to ask this question. I'm with Eircom for phone and broadband. Its robbery and I'm going to switch. Is BT worth a shout as it looks a lot cheaper!
    Yes.
    Also is the eircom router (the wireless one) good to use on BT once I copy the settings?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Was on Eircoms 2Mb Surf and Talktime package. Costing 70/month and was very happy with it. Never had any issues tbh. Moving to BT 3MB/total talk for 63/month. All calls to Local/National/UK under 1 hour long are free and I get an increase of 1Mb on speed for 7 euros less. everything has gone smoothly so far they say i will be up and running in the next two weeks. Judging by some of the comments on BT on here it may not go as smoothly as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

using Casey Cablesurf in Dungarvan

no cap, 9 meg download for €40/month. only lost connection once

very happy with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm glad you decided to run a fresh poll on this... on the previous one I'd voted "happy with BT" ... which it later turned out I was very unhappy with them.

I'm with Smart now, a few annoying teething problems and a long wait getting connected, but running along nicely now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 scsa

I feel like my opinion shold be worth 5 votes. :D

Got IBB ripwave at home since I'm renting, and it's ****. But I'm a home user so it doesn't really matter. Work with several business too as a networking dude though, and those that went with IBB as the cheapo broadband option have ALL had major, gob-smackingly shocking problems with their Breeze connections.

IBB: **** **** **** **** ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

With Eircom 3mb for about 2yrs or so. Pretty happy with it. No problems and always get goo connection. Only thing is that its mor expensive than the others so thinking of changing. Has anyone in Cork used the Chorus cablenet BB? i was thinking about 6mb on as its only €40. Also anyone got an opinion on the imagine BB and phone service?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

It's interesting to see that NTL have the second worst satisfied/dissatisfied customer ratio so far. At 17:9. Clearwire are worst with 2:3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭SeanW

I'm on BTs package. Better value than any of that Eircom rubbish, and it does the business for me. Their website isn't very good though.

I wish I had IBB here though because those upload speeds look nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

I'm with Nova Networks, and I have been for about three weeks to a month. So far they have been disgraceful. Constant outages, billing errors, the connection can disappear at the drop of a hat and can last anywhere from five minutes to three days. I've experienced a dodgy connection where I have to constantly refresh pages, hoping the the connection picks up. They have no weekend support. They have been disgraceful since I got the connection.

They only thing that's keeping me going is the first hand endorsments I've had from some of their other customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 shaptakster

I'm with icecomms and their support is woeful.
    Their service was great until about 3 weeks ago and now its next to useless. Support dont even answer emails for days - if ever. I'm just glad i never had to call their support department before.
    I started a thread about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

i recently switched from eircom to perlico (well, my father did, w/out consulting me :mad: ) and i'm pissed off with it so far.

we had eircom bb for the last few years, never a problem with it. got good download speeds when it was 1Mb, even better when it upgraded to a 2Mb connection. i was getting anywhere between 150 - 300Kbps download speeds depending on where i was downloading from.

now we have perlico a few weeks, download speeds were averaging 100Kbps at first, last few days 70Kbps, tonight it's 40Kbps and even went lower than 30Kbps at one stage, crap. it's supposed to be a 1Mb connection (says so on my router homepage; it says 12.0Mbps in the bottom right corner of the screen connection status area).

we were waiting a few weeks for the router to arrive, and we were w/out broadband for a week during that time.

conclusion: avoid perlico.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm *very* happy with UTV nowadays. Its been solid for about a year now. They have had very serious problems in the past but ever since they finally peered with INEX they've disappeared. I'm on their 2Mb/256k deal with unlimited* use for an extra 6 quid. (I've been using UTV BB since 2003, and was on their quasi-unlimited time dial up thingy before that)

Pings to UK servers for games are great since they joined INEX - about 30ms. Used to be 70+ with frequent spikes and packet loss.

* unlimited = you get throttled if you abuse it. Haven't been throttled yet in many months and I do down/upload a lot. No idea what my actual usage is, must check it on their site.

I did get stung badly by them in the past for breaking the 8 gig cap on their old package by a very expensive gigabyte or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

using eircom for phone and broadband for a while, never had any problem with it except for the rip off pricing, have been trying to move to smart but that may not be a good idea if they are going bankrupt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Bill Andrex

IBB RESULTS - (so far)

I have IrishBroadband (IBB) and am happy 19 10.11%
    I have IrishBroadband (IBB) and am NOT happy 9 4.79%

Lets have a look at the REAL statistics:

32.14% of all IBB respondents are NOT happy :eek: thats well bad, steer clear... you'll be sorry you didn't!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement