Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Providers Poll [Sept-Dec 06]

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

NTL 3Mb and *shock! horror!* I'm happy with it. Its pretty good for €30 a month, aside from the lousy upstream (its still better than most) and monthly cap (which I exceed frequently I imagine). And, touch wood, I haven't had any problems with it in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 devilkawa

I'm with clearwire really fast speccialy in the morning until 4-5 pm but the customer service is really bad,if you ask:Cain i speak with the manager please?the answer is:sorry the managar is not hera at the moment,every single call...

I'm not happy...:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 felimmcmahon

Just ditched Chorus in Cork after 90 days of hell. Joined service in September 2006. 30 days working. 30 days intermittent service. 30 days no service at all. As I rang to disconnect, had to listen to a notice about the latest fault ... in Cork.

Good riddance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

I got vodafone 3g since i dont have a landline and cant get LOS for Digiweb. Its pretty good, I'm getting 1.2Mb/s and it will get even faster next year, also I can use it on the move which is great. Only downside is the 5Gb cap which is really little for broadband, this should increase when the speeds increase next year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Have NTL, at the moment I'm not happy. Parts of the internet (eg anything on HEAnet) are worse than dialup in some ways (pings). Everything is being routed through Amsterdam. No signs of it improving either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

We had a bit of hassle setting up our connection with BT (they sent us out the router/modem before they'd finalised our order so it was a week before it worked) but since then it's been great.

We have one PC and two wireless laptops, and the connection and speed have both been excellent. No complaints.

Oh, except for the ridiculous waiting time when you're trying to get through to technical support. Quel joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭2funki4wheelz

With eircom on a 2MB + off peak phone bundle for €55. Had an issue with slight overcharging of €3 during a price changeover period and they gave me 1 mth free as an apology, no hassle.
    Service is great and as I alsio have my alarm with them I felt it was safest option. If things go pear shaped, I would consider BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Wow, a lot of people are actually quite happy with IBB...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sparkey999999

I am with Rapid Broadband in West Cork
    Wireless service
    Top Class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Kilkenny

Moving into new place in Galway, ordinary phone line (eircom) in place.

Intend to get broadband, wondering if anyone knows if there are any local problems or factors specific to Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Moving into new place in Galway, ordinary phone line (eircom) in place.

Intend to get broadband, wondering if anyone knows if there are any local problems or factors specific to Galway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

3Meg Metro in Limerick.

No complaints.

1Meg Gaelic Broadband/Imagine at home. No complaints since I've been back :)
    Cept for maybe port forwarding on a netopia 3347NWG...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lcom

What's the best broadband if you don't have a phoneline? Is there anyone in the Stepaside area using Clearwire?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

UTV Internet here in Tramore. Not really that happy with them as I lost connectivity there a few months ago and was assured it was an Eircom fault. Took weeks with no response to the fault report from Eircom (according to UTV) so I managed to contact the local area manager with Eircom who checked my report and said it was responded to and there was no problem with the exchange and UTV were informed this. Something strongly denied by UTV Internet. So they came up with the idea that it was a result of my 2mb connection and the line couldnt handle it - put me down to 1mb and no connection still. In the end, they agreed to send out a new router and that fixed the problem.

Had problems with UTV before and anytime a serious one arrises they seem never to be able to fix it without us having to do most of the work ourselves. However, I have to say there support has improved a LOT. Previously it would take an age to get an answer and when they answered they were just rude. Now, I dont have that problem. Have to mention a Stuart ( I think thats his name ) from UTV who seems to be the most helpfull and friendly support rep I have ever dealt with on UTV Internet.

Management never bothered to respond or act on my offical complaint either, another issue I have with them.

Im still with them as its been relativley stable and I dont want to switch and occur more downtime. However, we are considering it still!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Intresting poll results. I'll get a new one up as soon as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi Moriarty,

Any updates on the new poll for Q1 2007? I was going to start doing one but there are quite a few ISPs nowadays and I know I'll be leaving a good few out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭fluppet

How about a new poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I'm with fastnet in Sligo town atm and service for the last few weeks has been intermittant at best and the customer care is a joke. Fiancee has eircom and it's painfully slow for large downloads. About to move into a new house and not sure who to go with, all this talk of caps has me worried 'cos we'll have 3 pcs and at least 1 laptop and three resident World of Warcraft players. Any one in the Sligo area happy with their supplier?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

yeah new poll would be good.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

May I suggest that if we were to run another pole, that we put all the "I am Happy" items on the top have and all the "I am unhappy" on the bottom half, so it's easier to guage the various providers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 lounge_lizard

I have switched onto Smart's 6Mb service and get between 5.80 and 6.1Mbps down and 490 and 507Kbps up! But then again I do get free line rental allowance and they have taken that off my rental price so it becomes 30.00 yo-yos!

If anyone else gets the alance, call smart and tell them, they will take it off your rental price. When we signed up we said but seeing as we don't pay line rental, what advantage are we getting from yous? They said they would reduce our rental price. So we signed up.

Had the probs with the disconnection and coincidently my router went down the same day! Took a while to get a new router, but have the old one if anyone wants it?!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

Clear Wire is a toal waste of money , No skype, no P2P, no bittorent.
    Download on a "2Mb" line is a laugh . Eircom is just above them.

Irish BB - Breeze is a extreamly effective service (2mb+) , with no caps.

Currently on Magnet with 7.4Mb(8) Down- 512k(ish) up , tv is grim esp on an LCD but superb 'ninternet.

Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

kmick wrote:
    Was on Eircoms 2Mb Surf and Talktime package. Costing 70/month and was very happy with it. Never had any issues tbh. Moving to BT 3MB/total talk for 63/month. All calls to Local/National/UK under 1 hour long are free and I get an increase of 1Mb on speed for 7 euros less. everything has gone smoothly so far they say i will be up and running in the next two weeks. Judging by some of the comments on BT on here it may not go as smoothly as that.

How are you finding BT since you switched? I've ordered the same package as you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DVDMAN

First let me say ive heard lots of bad things about irishbroabnds wireless services and I woundnt go for it unless i was really close to anthenna.

Their DSL service is very good though.
    Theres not many customers on this service so their tech support line isnt bad
    Best thing is the NO DOWNLOAD LIMITS

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

- Is it time yet ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sorento

I have Broadworks for 2 months and after this experience I must say never more.
    I have only broadband without cable TV.
    It should be 2 Mb for 30 eur/month, 50 eur for instalation, first 3 months for 2 eur, unlimited, looks nice but:
    -average speed if all is ok was never more that 120-130 kB/sec ( max 10 days in a month)
    - ping was never lower that 60, if all is ok (ireland, eu)
    -from time to time, e.g. 3 days in a row is speed 0-5 kB/sec, ping 2500-3000, that is for 10-15 days in a month
    -in some days speed is between 0 and 100 kB/sec
    -generally connection speed is very unreliable
    -broadworks company doesn't have any contact email address
    -broadworks doesn't have smtp server
    -broadworks doesn't have any support or information on their home page (broadworks.ie or broadworks.tv)
    -you can only call hot-line, and they will tell you somebody will call you ( they will, but in 1 month)

sorento

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Destuck. New poll open here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement