Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with FWA BB Internet Connection - keeps dropping

• 06-09-2006 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Having couple of problems with my bb connection

have FWA bb connection with Westnet (in the west of ireland) have a 3com wireless router. Having no problems with Wireless Network. 3 computers attached to it 2 wireless 1 wired. Firmware on router up to date and computer software all up to date.

On all computers the internet connection seems to drop repeatedly (Up to 8/10 times per day) and the speed at which pages load varies greatly (eg bbc.com can load instantly or sometimes can take as long or longer than dial up), if im in a chatroom and the internet connection drops the chatroom is still connected. The internet connection sometimes returns in 5 minutes but usually just end up rebooting modem and router. Also having problems in Windows Live Messenger with Video calling, cannot receive or make them but can send and receive video. this also seems to disconnect the router from the internet.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

make sure the 3com is well ventilated because sudden drops like that are often caused by lack of ventilation/overheating

have you tested the connection with one pc only plugged in and no 3com router ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11 TheGirlCousins

The router is in an attic, which is usually fairly cool, but not having problems with the wireless network connection as i can log on to the admin page of the router when internet connection is lost, and access files on other network comps.

yeah had the bb connection initially connected to one computer with no probs, but didnt try windows messenger on it, and generally didnt have any prob with the conn then.

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try turning off the 3com and see if its better, if it is try changing the channel on the 3com.( reason? maybe gear on the roof is on same channel as 3com , maybe 3com is gone a bit "dirty" )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any wireless phones in the general area that might be interfering? Any neighbours who might be operating a wireless network also?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you go to whatismyip.com and PM me your IP address, I'll have a look at it from here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭sweno

Disable the DHCP server on your router. Westnet's antenna has a built in DHCP Server that assign's address in the range 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.255 (192.168.1.100 is the web interface for the antenna)

any probs just PM me

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Already sorted, thanks.

Disabling DHCP on the router might not be a good idea: if the WAN port on the router is connected to the WestNet CPE, and the PC is connected to a LAN (or wireless) port on the router, the PC won't get a DHCP lease from the CPE and will require one from the router.

Advertisement