Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space between Shower tray and wall

Options
  • 06-09-2006 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi All,

My plumber has put in our shower tray and the opening is an awckward width of 970mm. He has put in a 900 tray but I have a space of 70 mm between the tray and the wall. The shower is closed on three sides. I have been advised by my plumber to build up the space with wood and my tiler has said he will put sand and cement there then and tile onto this at an angle to let water run into tray. Does this sound like a viable solution? This also means that I will have to use a 1000mm shower door which will go over the tray to the wall so the tiler will have to leave a space for the door at the bottom.

Can anyone think of any other solutions?
    Plasterin is funished so I do not want to add 70mm to the wall floor to ceiling.

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

ya that's how we did it at home and it works perfect for us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

You could put in a dummy stud wall up about 1200mm to fill the gap and use it as a shelf for holding shampoo bottles, soap, razor etc. It will be a little narrow at 70mm, but you will have 900mm depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Thanks for the responses.

After talking to the Bathroom suppliers they said I would have problems around the door with water leaking or even getting a door that is non standard to fit it so we are now thinking that we will add an extra bit where the door will be secured to bring it to the tray and fix the rest with the sand and cement to keep the extra space.

What do poeple think of this idea?

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭lastbuilders

Hi all,

The tiler said that studding just where the door is attached is asking for trouble down the line as it will not be strong enough so we are going to stud it all out to the tray. Better safe than sorry when it is on the first floor and water damage would be very nasty.

Lastbuilders

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭hargo

yes definitely make your opening 900 and tile onto the tray. I had the same problem and used 12mm ply to form the stud wall. You will always have a problem with those little ledges left by non standard openings, left that way by lazy or incompetent tradesmen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bro'

At Lastbuilders..

Not sure if your walls are stud or block but what about the option of changing to a 1000mm shower tray. You would just need to cut in 15mm a side on the walls at the tray area and the tiler would tile down to the tray as normal [there is normally enough room on the tray top]. The 1000mm door would obviously need to be adjustable to your 970mm which most have 30mm adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I had the same problem, and used a sheet of 3/4" WPB as a partition on one of the walls. Use LOT's of battens to ensure the WBP wont flex.

It works out very well if you're going to install an electric shower, as you can run the power & water inlet (keep them away from each other though) behind the partition.

My job was done 11 years ago, and is still perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

Hi,

I have a similar issue to OP. Have a 1000mm shower tray with upto 1.25" of a gap on each side. This was filled with a dry sand/cement mix by the builder. Was looking at some of the tile/shower tray trims but they're not wide enough to cover the 1.25". Anyone know where I could purchase a length of thin L shaped pvc type profile to place around edge of tray thus covering the 1.25".

Thanks,
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

What about filling the gap with expanding foam, trim off, then use tec7 to glue on the sloping tiles. Nothing will get thru that surely.

http://www.novatech.be/index.php?st=products&prodkey=tec7&edition=&key=&taal=en

beware some other adhesives/sealants attack expanding foam

Advertisement