Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan show

Options
  • 06-09-2006 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Did anyone get the full item on the GRS today with the woman at a show over the weekend? From what I heard, and unfortunately I couldn't listen to it all, She was anti- gun and completely ignorant of all things shooting.
    The gist of the story was that she was at a show over the weekend and " there ware military vehicles there and I wanted to go have a look but didnt because there were GUNS,and I don't like guns and a man was there showing a little boy how to cock it and look through the eye piece(sic)" and there will be a massacre ala Dunblane/ Columbine ete etc, I dont like guns etc. It was at that point the paramedics took me away for sedation. I really hope someone contacted the show. Unfortunately I really wasn't in a position earlier to listen to it all or respond. For the love of God please tell me someone did.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

What do you expect from that show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It'll appear at this link in due course-
    http://www.rte.ie/2fm/ryanshow/rams/2006/06Sept.smil

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Well, it’s ok to be afraid of weapons.

I think unless that lady said something anti-sport there was not much point to bother GRS and other tabloids. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

I do appreciate that it is ok to be afraid of guns but it was her whole tone/ attitude. She was saying that it was disgraceful to show a boy of "about ten" how to cock a gun, it would lead to school shootings etc.
    Maybe she should have faced her fear and gone over. Surely if it was at a show and there were vintage military vehicles there then it was probably an historical militaria and or re-enactment group and they were deacts and if she had looked before she lept, then maybe shooters in Ireland again wouldn't get even more bad press. Bunch of animal hating, cat shooting nutters that we are.
    "here you go sonny, this is a fully loaded Tec9. Enjoy school"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

garmac wrote:
    I do appreciate that it is ok to be afraid of guns but it was her whole tone/ attitude. She was saying that it was disgraceful to show a boy of "about ten" how to cock a gun, it would lead to school shootings etc.
    Maybe she should have faced her fear and gone over. Surely if it was at a show and there were vintage military vehicles there then it was probably an historical militaria and or re-enactment group and they were deacts and if she had looked before she lept, then maybe shooters in Ireland again wouldn't get even more bad press. Bunch of animal hating, cat shooting nutters that we are.
    "here you go sonny, this is a fully loaded Tec9. Enjoy school"

I have to agree with garmac here, i did not hear the GRS (i stay as far awy from that tripe as possible). There is nothing wrong with being afraid of guns, hell i'm afraid of a lot of things.

Its a completely different matter to go on the radio and preach the evil ways of guns while knowing nothing about them.

Cars are causing loads of deaths every year, we should ban them while we are at it.

Feck it, school buses are lethal, we'll make every kid get out and walk.

Was there anyone on the radio from our side (knowiing the GRS hardly) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Was there anyone on the radio from our side
    Veg, I don't know. Unfortunately I couldn't stick around and hear the conclusion. The woman was saying things like " why did they need them there/ don't see the need" or some tripe like that and gerry said something along the lines of "men, thats why, all us men, and boys love guns".
    Thats when I had to leave it, unfortunately.
    Oh, almost forgot. When gerry asked where she was living she said she now lived in spain and was only home visiting but still felt compelled to ring in!!!
    OH..................MY.......................GODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD.:mad:

garmac wrote:
    When gerry asked where she was living she said she now lived in spain...
    I'm sure the bullfighters are glad of the break :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Obviously forgot her Thorazine doseage,and got away from the nice men in white coats and got hold of the local booby hatch public phone!!!
    I am convinced these days that Joe Duffy and Jerry Ryan shows are now the nations new nut therapy.Forget about trying to convince nut jobs like that with rational arguements,people like that that have a deep rooted irrational phobia about firearms and/or inanimate things have mega problems.You might as well try and get turkeys to vote for Xmas.Plus it has the usual scare stuff for the Irish Soccer mom.
    And if Gerry says it is so it must be.
    Better off trying to encourage the open minded and first timers to go shooting than total holopophobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's the downside of leaning more towards Boston than Berlin - maybe you don't have so many rules, but you also get Jerry Springer, Geraldo, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the collection.

On the other hand, Berlin has David Hasslehoff. It's hard to tell which way is worse sometimes....

Sparks wrote:
    On the other hand, Berlin has David Hasslehoff. It's hard to tell which way is worse sometimes....
    Blasphemer!
    Don't diss The Hoff-
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3382491587979249836

:D

• Advertisement

Sparks wrote:
    It's the downside of leaning more towards Boston than Berlin - maybe you don't have so many rules, but you also get Jerry Springer, Geraldo, Bill O'Reilly, Rush Limbaugh and the rest of the collection.

Plus you also have the second amendment and a right enshrined in your constitution. and a multi million gun owner vote/money base.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

How far into the show was that piece?
    I don't really fancy wading through 3 hours of Gerry Ryan looking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

it's about 1.51 into it

Plus you also have the second amendment and a right enshrined in your constitution. and a multi million gun owner vote/money base.
    Handy as that would be, it comes with a dual pricetag of:
    1) *Every*one who wants a firearm getting one, from white supremicists to republicans, without an iota of training of any kind being necessary. Sorry CG, I'm more of the opinion that guns should be licenced like motor vehicles and aeroplanes are in the US. One-time ticket, training and a very basic proficiency test of some kind for each class of firearm (as in, pistol/shotgun/rifle, not ruger/colt/anschutz/etc), and 3rd party insurance a legal requirement.

2) You'd have a widespread polarisation between the pro- and anti-gun "sides". That's no way to run a society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

This thread reminds me of when I represented a few large international companies, I'd get to work and the call would come..."did you here what they said about us on the radio....I heard they said... blah blah blah??" ...I'd run around in circles, and eventually find someone who'd actually heard it ...once I was told Joe Duffy had slated us, when I actually got the transcript, he'd actually said what a delight we were to deal with, that he was very impressed with us!! Chinese whispers!!

Ok, I listened to the WHOLE SHOW,
    Lady goes to car show, sees a military vehicle section, where there is a "gun show" on, letting children handle firearms etc. Gave her waffle about, not the right place for guns etc.

A few callers, male and female got on and said it was a great show. PR lady from the car show gets on, does a lovely bit of work explaining that the military section had a dispaly of DEACTIVATED firearms that had been used by UN forces around the world, and that the purpose of the display was to
    educate and inform, and in no way glamorise death or killing.

G Ryan seemed (not a fan I might add) ok with the whole thing, "boys like guns" was his re-action, to which, a lady caller had to ring in to say how much she liked guns/military history etc. He went on to recall a story of a friend who wouldnt allow toy guns etc., so child runs into the house with a banana shouting "bang bang".

Moral of the story, we all hear the anti-gun stuff from people who really are not well informed, so shouldn't we "hold our fire" pardon the pun, untill we hear the full story??

untill we hear the full story??
    I did ask how it went in my first post because I couldn't listen to the whole item at the time.
    The fact still remains that she got to put her ill informed and grossly innacurate point across FIRST, with no effort from the GRS to find out what happened.And, as i had reckoned, they were deacts of note/interest.
    If they had contacted the show's pr people before giving that gobs*!te air time it would never have made the air. No matter what the outcome the negative spin went on first. How many people only heard as much as I did and not the true conclusion?
    Thats what really makes me mad, thats all.

[
    QUOTE=Sparks]Handy as that would be, it comes with a dual pricetag of:
    1) *Every*one who wants a firearm getting one, from white supremicists to republicans, without an iota of training of any kind being necessary. Sorry CG, I'm more of the opinion that guns should be licenced like motor vehicles and aeroplanes are in the US. One-time ticket, training and a very basic proficiency test of some kind for each class of firearm (as in, pistol/shotgun/rifle, not ruger/colt/anschutz/etc), and 3rd party insurance a
    legal requirement.

Sparks,Do you ever hear the expression putting both feet in mouth???????
    I would rather have Republicans armed,than some sons of Jihad or some such other tea towel wearing lot who are allowed under the 1st amendment their "right" to vilify and openly preach hate against the society they live in,and are egged on by the media to do so??

And yes there is a "liscensing"procedure in the US it is called the concealed carry permit!!!!
    Personally I would favour the US system any day over this nutjob"privilidge" system we have here.Who the HELL is anyone to tell me or you what I can and cant have???Am I living in an island of children run by nannies???Seems that way somtimes.Our stuff can be taken totally from us at the stroke of a fat beauracrts pen.Try that in the US and see what happens.But then we vhave good intentioned but naive folks like Sparks saying liscense all this and it will be all better.Hmmm REALLY worked here ,in the UK and Europe hasnt it????Bad guys have more guns ,us the good guys get crapped on by the nanny state.

May I suggest Sparks go and live over there for a few years,go shooting over there learn abit about American society for yourself,not what Micheal Moore and the rest of the liberal anti American anti gun media on the box tells you is fact.THEN come back and tell us how good or bad it is.Get really peed off about people saying how bad the US and guns are over there is and they have never set foot in the place:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    2) You'd have a widespread polarisation between the pro- and anti-gun "sides". That's no way to run a society.

Called Freedom of Speech.See article one of the US constitution.Best way to run a country.Unlike a few others ,including Ireland.It's not just the pro/anti gun owners.The pro life/pro choice lot leave us in the kiddy leauge!!
    ASFIK no one has shot any anti gun people yet.[Apart from Jim Brady that is and he was stupid enough to get in the way of Hinkley when he was shooting at Ron Regan.]Polarisation???HAH!!! Ireland is the one to talk.30 years of it up in NI.THATS no way to run a society!!!:mad: :mad:

Personally I would favour the US system any day over this nutjob"privilidge" system we have here.
    I agree, our system's wrong-headed and needs a scrapping and total rewrite from the ground up if you want a proper system. But that doesn't make the US system automatically the proper system, or even a better system. Both theirs and ours are extremes on an axis that has little to do with how safe you are with a firearm - by which I mean, it doesn't matter whether you give them away to any who asks (the US), or give them away only to your best mates (here), in neither case are you ensuring that whomever gets a firearm has some sort of training in it's safe use.
    Who the HELL is anyone to tell me or you what I can and cant have?
    Strange, how licencing a firearm causes this much anger in people, but doing what the Range Officer says to do on a range does not!
    Hmmm REALLY worked here ,in the UK and Europe hasnt it?
    Actually, that's the thing. We don't know, because despite what we call it, we don't have a licencing system as such here. We have a system whereby you're given a firearms certificate and away you go - that's not licencing, it's registration. Licencing implies passing a test of some kind before being issued the certificate. Frankly, I have no problem with that concept. After all, a gun isn't hugely intuitive. You don't get born knowing how to clear a hangfire, for example. And if we demand that drivers be licenced, why do we have such a problem with shooters being licenced in the same way?

Don't get me wrong though. I'm not talking about slapping an exam on top of the current system or some such awful kludge. I'm talking about a system where the rules are on the table in the same way they are for driving tests. You want to drive a car? You get a training licence, take lessons, sit the test and pass, and get a licence. Then you're free to drive any car in that class, from punto to S-class, on any road, bound only by the general laws that say in essence "don't do something stupid that'll hurt or kill someone else" and which apply to everyone equally. Yes, you pay road tax, yes you have insurance costs, but you don't have an arbitary decision made by a stranger able to take away your privilege to drive, because a licence is not a permission slip that can be rescinded at whim.

Now that would be worth having rather than this certificate system we have now where the certificate isn't worth the paper it's printed on compared to the local garda's opinion of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

Just out of curiousity, and I know I'm going a small bit off topic here, but some of the previous comments regarding the american constitution and concealed carry permits etc... have me thinking that as well as the sporting side of shooting have we people who believe that the right to carry firearms for personal protection should be introduced in Ireland?

Sparks wrote:
    I agree, our system's wrong-headed and needs a scrapping and total rewrite from the ground up if you want a proper system. But that doesn't make the US system automatically the proper system, or even a better system. Both theirs and ours are extremes on an axis that has little to do with how safe you are with a firearm - by which I mean, it doesn't matter whether you give them away to any who asks (the US), or give them away only to your best mates (here), in neither case are you ensuring that whomever gets a firearm has some sort of training in it

Well, the first any gun dealer in the US asks before a sale is concluded,is "do you know how to use this?"Nor is it a simple go in and buy ,there is the instant[Brady] check to see if you are a druggie,nut,or criminal,or alQueida friend.Contray to pouplar belif buying a gun in the US is just as much paperwork as over here.
    Strange, how licencing a firearm causes this much anger in people, but doing what the Range Officer says to do on a range does not!
    Proably because gun owners are abit more independant minded and responsible,and a RO is considerd one of them??
    Frankly, I have no problem with that concept. After all, a gun isn't hugely intuitive. You don't get born knowing how to clear a hangfire, for example. And if we demand that drivers be licenced, why do we have such a problem with shooters being licenced in the same way?

Neither is driving,cooking,using a chainsaw or getting up the pole and having kids.There are a Hell of a lot of other things that iNMHO should be liscensed in everyday life not just firearms.As for Europe that has in many countries a much stricter system than us.Accidents,killing sprees,and family shootings ,by shooters or cops or army personel still happen,quite frankly alot more than admitted and heard of by us here.Being trained and liscensed doesnt make anything automatically safer.
    Don't get me wrong though. I'm not talking about slapping an exam on top of the current system or some such awful kludge.
    Thank God!!!!But I am not in favour of taking four years to teach people how the art of the air weapon,before they can move onto somthing that uses shells either.

I'm talking about a system where the rules are on the table in the same way they are for driving tests. You want to drive a car? You get a training licence, take lessons, sit the test and pass, and get a licence. Then you're free to drive any car in that class, from punto to S-class, on any road, bound only by the general laws that say in essence "don't do something stupid that'll hurt or kill someone else" and which apply to everyone equally. Yes, you pay road tax, yes you have insurance costs,

Yes,and look at the Unholy MESS we have here on our roads.Incompetant L drivers on their 25th odd provo,a shambles of a liscensing and testing system,taxed to the hilt. Not to mind plenty of uninsured,drunken,dangerously modified cars,East block drunken drivers as well,etc etc.God alone knows what that would be like if applied to the gun liscensing system.Personally I would rather take my chances with the unknowing with the firearms than drive on our roads these days.
    but you don't have an arbitary decision made by a stranger able to take away your privilege to drive, because a licence is not a permission slip that can be rescinded at whim.

Hmmm wouldn't be too sure about THAT in the future either.

• Advertisement

CLADA wrote:
    Just out of curiousity, and I know I'm going a small bit off topic here, but some of the previous comments regarding the american constitution and concealed carry permits etc... have me thinking that as well as the sporting side of shooting have we people who believe that the right to carry firearms for personal protection should be introduced in Ireland?

Would love to see it happen.BUT the reality is two chances of it ever happening.There are plenty of justifiable reasons for somone to be issued a concealed carry permit here in Ireland.Seeing that "non leathl"weapons are banned here.I guess we would rather kill than disable here.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

is it illegal to carry a covcealed weapon here the guardai telll us to keep it out of sight....ok the "dublin transport act" i think" has provisions for it but not many

Think this is one that comes down to the letter and spirt of the law.
    The letter says you must keep it concealed,but walking around with your handgun in a shoulder rig proably doesnt fit the spirt of the law.where they proably mean keeping it in a locked breifcase that isnt plasterd with firearm stickers is being more in keeping with the spirt of the law.If that makes sense.

Would love to see it happen.BUT the reality is two chances of it ever happening.There are plenty of justifiable reasons for somone to be issued a concealed carry permit here in Ireland.Seeing that "non leathl"weapons are banned here.I guess we would rather kill than disable here.:rolleyes:

Good point on the less than lethal weaponry, the option of legalising i.e the taser should be considered. Have experience of being on the receiving end and that five second incapacitation and the subsequent few seconds to recover can provide enough time to make good an escape.
    I agree that there are in some cases justifiable reasons to carry a firearm for protection, but to make it into a right to bear arms type of situation would seriously worry me.

CLADA wrote:
    Good point on the less than lethal weaponry, the option of legalising i.e the taser should be considered.
    Have experience of being on the receiving end and that five second incapacitation and the subsequent few seconds to recover can provide enough time to make good an escape.
    Hurts dont it???:D :D Was it a genuine Taser that fires the darts or a stun gun??Five seconds??Man you are fit!!!It took me ten minutes to get back to normal functioning.:eek:
    I agree that there are in some cases justifiable reasons to carry a firearm for protection, but to make it into a right to bear arms type of situation would seriously worry me.

A RTKBA will never happen here.Unless we have a total revoulition and rebuild the new constitution on the basis of the US constitution.Doubtful that anyone that pro gun would be in power or allow their newly freed masses to be arming them selves,for fear of counter revoulition.In a parallel universe maybe.

It was the genuine article the new x26 model and believe it or not the people carrying an extra bit of weight took it better and recovered quicker. the more toned you are and the more muscle the more effective the taser. You should have heard those body builders squeal.

Advertisement