Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2008 matches tonight

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

lili wrote:
    match over for france. 3.1
    we beat the world champions;)
    Viera bossed midfield, he looked his old self :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

lili wrote:
    match over for france. 3.1
    we beat the world champions;)

Would have been better to beat them befor ethey became champions. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

SofaKing wrote:
    Viera bossed midfield, he looked his old self :)

it has been a collective play from france. i must say that vieira has been great. the italians midfield has been mistificated.
    makélélé should stay in french squad. we would miss him so much.

our attack was also pretty good. i think that henry made of cannavaro his bitch (sorry for the expression but i learnt it on internet).

kinaldo wrote:
    3-2 Tesco! I still can't believe the Spanish FA talked Aragones out of resigning. What they see in him is a mystery. Spain will never fulfil their huge potential while he's in charge.

They have never fullfilled their huge potential, ever, under any manager.

Stekelly wrote:
    Would have been better to beat them befor ethey became champions. :D

bah, that's history now. i would prefer another end for zidane's career.
    admit that we were better on the pitch for this wc final:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Norn Iron!

Presumably Iceland will thrash Spain 6-0 :D

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Norn Iron!

Mike.

hehe, dream on.

mike65 wrote:
    Norn Iron!

Mike.

The north are one of those really annoying teams, Scotland are oftenanother, that pull great results out like this and beating England, but fall apart against smaller teams, making the good results meaningless.

Crouch 11 goals for england this year with 2 games left. Closest player to him ever is on 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Well done Northern Ireland on a great victory!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Northern Ireland winning, Germany thrashing San Marino and Czechs strolling past Slovakia.

What a **** night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Stekelly wrote:
    They have never fullfilled their huge potential, ever, under any manager.
    yes but this is the most talented young Spanish team in decades perhaps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Stekelly wrote:
    The north are one of those really annoying teams, Scotland are oftenanother, that pull great results out like this and beating England, but fall apart against smaller teams, making the good results meaningless.

Why dont you include ireland in that group?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

norn iron... haha brillant. :D

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac
    Ireland always and only beat the smaller teams.

KdjaCL wrote:

kdjac

Cos were crap and show it in ALL games. :)

No, in fairness, we have managed to qualify a few time recently. NI havnt since 82, and bar Euro 96 scotland havnt since 78 iirc.

Plus, bar Holland, we dont really beat tha bigger teams, and we qualified that time so it doesnt count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

norn iron... haha brillant. :D

Great result for them...
    but that's the 2nd time in just 5 days that they have cost me :mad:

Stekelly wrote:
    No, in fairness, we have managed to qualify a few time recently. NI havnt since 82, and bar Euro 96 scotland havnt since 78 iirc.
    Scots did qualify for the 98WC.

jester77 wrote:
    Great result for them...
    but that's the 2nd time in just 5 days that they have cost me :mad:

You cant have gotten any backable odds on Spain to win surely?

kinaldo wrote:

That sorts that so.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Papa Smut wrote:
    11-0!? Whats the record for a EC qualifier?
    The Beeb says "Germany's Group D win bettered Spain's 12-1 victory over Malta in 1983."

"The result was also the worst in San Marino's history - 14 years ago they lost 10-0 to Norway."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Great result for Norn Iron. Woodyg informs me Healy got a great hatrick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Sizzler wrote:
    Defo a few quid to be made on tonights games, you're not gonna get rich but Spain, England,Norway,Turkey, Germany & Israel all to win in an accumalator, anybody?
    Feckin Northern Ireland ...grrrrr :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Sizzler wrote:
    accumalator, anybody?

I went Macedonia, Northern Ireland and Italy... :(

Healy's third was a cracker...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

kinaldo wrote:

and Northern Ireland qualified for the 1986 World Cup .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I see Makelele, Thuram and Vieira were listed in the French line-up tonight. That'll really p*ss off a lot of the ageists out there who think that anyone over the age of 30 should be prohibited from playing international football.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I see Makelele, Thuram and Vieira were listed in the French line-up tonight. That'll really p*ss off a lot of the ageists out there who think that anyone over the age of 30 should be prohibited from playing international football.

Who says that. Plus patrick Vieira is about 40 days over 30, he's hardly winding up his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Wasn't Vieira just named captain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

nlgbbbblth wrote:

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that people over the age of 30 should be prohibated from playing international football?

Did some of these players not announce their retirement only for Domenech to call them up anyways. What a wa^ker he is for not respecting these players decisions.

The same people who:

kept on referring to the ‘ageing French team’ during the World Cup

constantly ask ‘is this the end of the road for the xxx team’ as soon as a team with a few older players loses a match.

Say things like ‘surely the last we will see of xxxx’

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The same people who:

constantly ask ‘is this the end of the road for the xxx team’ as soon as a team with a few older players loses a match.

Don't agree that any of those constitute 'Ageism'. They are merely observations. In the same way as describing a black person as black is not racist. And they certainly weren't hinting at prohibition.

I think your being a little over PC here. I don't know anyone who thinks a player is past it at 30. In fact most people are considered to be at their peak between the ages of 28 and 34, and this age is getting older all the time.

• Advertisement

AthAnRi wrote:
    I think your being a little over PC here. I don't know anyone who thinks a player is past it at 30. In fact most people are considered to be at their peak between the ages of 28 and 34, and this age is getting older all the time.

Players seem to be retiring from the international stage a lot earlier nowadays. In the 1970s and 1980s you saw a lot more players in the 30 - 36 age bracket.

David Beckham at 29 is deemed to have played 'his last World Cup'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Stekelly wrote:
    Crouch 11 goals for england this year with 2 games left. Closest player to him ever is on 9.
    Podolski has 10 so far this year. He scored 4 last night, I thought it was 5 until I checked just there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beckham is 31 and crap.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Beckham is 31 and crap.

Mike.

sorry
    ok - Ronaldo then. The same was said about him - and he's 29.

mike65 wrote:
    Beckham is 31 and crap.

Mike.
    Thats funny i could have sworn he was one of Real Madrid's ( you might have heard of them) best players last season

eirebhoy wrote:
    Podolski has 10 so far this year. He scored 4 last night, I thought it was 5 until I checked just there.

For England.
    nlgbbbblth wrote:
    The same people who:

As said above, these are observations. Generally, a player around 32 or over wont be in the squad for the next world cup. Taking France as an example, Zidane was retiring at the end of the wc. Makalele is 34 or so, he came out of retirement before the wc and may not be there for the ec, let alone the next wc. Thuram is mid 30's aswell, so same apples to him. All comment you mention are valid.

Funny no one referred to Italy as an ageing team and as far as I could see from their most regular starting line up Pirlo was the youngest player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

gustavo wrote:
    Funny no one referred to Italy as an ageing team and as far as I could see from their most regular starting line up Pirlo was the youngest player
    Almost every Italian player that won the world cup was in their prime. Cannavaro was the oldest player at 32 and he was their best player. Every other player was in their mid to late 20's.

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    sorry
    ok - Ronaldo then. The same was said about him - and he's 29.

Well Shearer was what age and People were calling for him to be back in the England squad. Same for Teddy Sheringham he was playing incredible football at 35,36,37 and a lot of people over in England would love to have seen him back in an england jersey.

There are exceptions to every rule. Ronaldo has been plagued with injury. Also he has won almos every award there is so his hunger is gone. Same is true with Beckham. Nothing is to stop either of these players rediscovering some form and proving a lot of people wrong.

There is a difference between players lacking hunger and players being over the hill.

• Advertisement
Advertisement