Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

7 Stanes UK

Options
  • 06-09-2006 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭

Has anyone every been biking on any of the 7 stanes in the UK, its meant to be really good according to the site. I have been living in Scotland for the last while and am hoping to make it down there at the weekend...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

I haven't made it over there yet - the fear of midges is putting me off. Let us know how you get on.

http://www.7stanes.gov.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Enduro

I've been to Kirroughree. Personally, I thought it was over-manufactured and a bit anaemic to ride as a result. they've put sown so much hardpack that it just feels like riding on a small road through the forest. Not the effect that I'm looking for anyway. However the McMoab section over the natural granite rocks was absolutely fantastic. I would go back to Kirroughtree again just to ride that again, especially the chute at the end. And I'd still love to try out a few more of the 7 stanes, particulary the dark side trail (Mabie, I think), and Glentress.

A lot depends on your own level and ability, and what you're used to riding normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Anti-midge tip (that works)... rub the inside of an orange peel over your exposed skin, they won't go near you.

I've survived the worst of still damp evening midges in the Mayo mountains with that.

Probably any citrus fruit will do if oranges aren't your thing :)

Advertisement