Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Number Plates

Options
  • 06-09-2006 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much it is to get a number plate made up? Are car dealers the only places to get them? Also I notice that there are plastic plates as well as metal pressed type ones. Are the both legal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

Annesley Merc at the airport... €22 made up €30 fitted, for 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Most motor factor shops do them. They discourage the metal pressed ones now as the centres of some letters/numbers fall out.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think the hard plastic ones look much better anyways. I had mine made up in my local motor factor's for €20 for the pair. Had to drill them myself before fitting though.
    They replaced metal ones on my old Fiesta after my front plate got crumpled and broken (centre bits falling out of numbers etc) by someone reversing into it with a tow bar :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

great stuff, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh you should get them around €20, thats how much they cost here in slane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Halfords - €6 for a top quality plastic one.

I've bought 2 from them in the past year and they are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I much prefer the embossed metal plates (as made by Windsor Garages. €20 per pair).

There are two types of metal plates -

- Embossed plates (pressed out of a single sheet of metal by machine)
    - Pressed (i.e. Crap) Plates (made of two sheet pressed together. Made using a hand press machine. These are the plates which fall apart).

Embossed plates DO NOT fall apart

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

Yes the embossed plates do look the business.

Advertisement