Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crazy lab

Options
  • 06-09-2006 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

what can you do to a crazy labrador that's digging up your entire garden? any suggestions? should we take him to obedience classes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Is he left in the garden much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭shinners007

same question as nala if his in the garden a lot do you take him for long walks to a park on on roads in the evenings.

have ye any other dogs maybe his bored and would like to play with another dog..... if circumstances dont enable you to get another dog maybe take hime to some one you know who has a dog for playtime!!!!

you could also try buying him some pet toys like bones, balls to occupy him or you youself supervise him while his in the garden and correct him when he starts digging it all up!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Hes probably just bored and has a lot of energy to burn off.
    Problem is, if you dont tackle it now it may become an obsession.

Long walks and lots of toys (rotate daily), should help some.
    Basically, do your best to tire him out, walk and play until you are both exhausted lol ;)

b

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

digging is a sign of boredom, get a football and spend plenty of time tiring him out. allow him a square area for digging for the moment and close off the other areas with chicken wire or mesh to stop him continuing this behaviour, place bones treats in the digging section only and try to stop him digging anywhere outside this area by being firm with him and saying NO.

If he is in a small garden, he will get frustrated by the limited run he has and one walk a day won't compensate for this. He needs lots of activity in and around the garden, not all attention has to be on him work around and let him watch you, this is enough to stop boredom. Praise him when he's good.

g'luck
    artieanna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

artieanna wrote:
    digging is a sign of boredom, get a football and spend plenty of time tiring him out. allow him a square area for digging for the moment

Have to say, I would'nt do that if it were me.
    He has to know all digging is wrong, just confining it to a single area (even temporarily) will allow him to think its ok "somtimes" and unless you want to spend his life trying to show him where is "somtimes" then Id just not give him the option in the first place.

And yes, always, obedience classes would be great if you can. (not just for the digging issue, it will help you tackle future "issues").

b

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andra

not that much..just a couple of hours/ day. But as soon as we're not looking he starts digging!!!dont know what to do anymore.....

so..i actually thnik i know what's the problem..u were saying to get another dog for him..well, my boyfriend's mother came to visit us for a few weeks and she brought her dog with her..and the problems started then..i think that he's trying to show off in front of her dog and that's why he's digging and also barking a lot, jumping everywhere....

we're both running in the park every afternoon when i get back from work!!! i'll soon loose a lot of wheight!!!and he's still not tired!!!his energy doesn't disturb me, i love playful dogs..but no more holes in the garden....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 George's_Key

I love that picture your dog is lovely!

thanks a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Dinxminx

My black lab does that too - there's about eight big craters in the garden now!! She's stopped doing it so much now that we take her for big long walks, but tbh I think she just enjoys it, she goes outside and starts snuffling around, digging up the earth with her nose (Like a pig)... She also tries to bury things. I usually just take her to the beach and let her dig there..... Maybe it's a lab thing??

If it bothers you then every time she does it try putting him back in the house, so that he knows that if he starts to dig he won't be allowed in the garden?

Your lab seems soo funny!!! my Jack stoped digging the garden, his attention is now concentrated towards some pots of flowers (which he has already eated and now he' chewing the plastic pots..) at least my garden doesn't look so much like the World War II..:D :D but..what can i do? i love him to bits and that's it! i also found that lots of bones and plastic toys are very good to keep him occupied for a while so....i go to the pet shop everyday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

you should get him a kong - my 2 labs love their kongs
    :)

Advertisement