Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kevin Nolan on Ireland

• 06-09-2006 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

My name has also been mentioned with playing for the Republic of Ireland but there are just too many complications with that one.

I have spoken to their manager Steve Staunton a couple of times but it was just one of those things that did not work out for various reasons.

Full article here...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/5319122.stm

Still holding out to play for England......doesn't sound interested in playing for Ireland. He's a decent player, but if his heart's not in it, we're better off without him. I can't really see him figuring in the England set up though.

He'll probably offer himself to us when he's well past it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He's not eligible to play for Ireland. That is the complication and that is why Staunton dropped his fight to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, he played for the England U-18's or something didn't he? I think sometimes you can get away with petitioning these things but only may or may not be successfull, and he doesn't seem too pushed anyway. JLoyd Samual tried before for jamaica or Trinidad or something i think, but didnt get it. Although he'd played for the U-21's so he doesn't really have the i was "young and innocent and confused" plea nolan could give.

If he had an interest he'd be fighting tooth and nail to try, but i think, as good as he is, ireland surely are better then taking players who couldn't really care about playing for us either way. Its fair enough from him, cause he is english after all so naturally is only really interested in playing for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Apparantly they don't think they'd have won the appeal.
    IRELAND'S manager Steve Staunton has abandoned any plans to call Kevin Nolan into the Irish squad. Reports last week suggested that Ireland were prepared to appeal to FIFA, arguing that Nolan's appearance in a competitive underage match for England should not disbar him at senior level for Ireland. Australia's Tim Cahill was successful with a similar appeal after he played for Western Samoa as a 14-year-old.

But the FAI have investigated the matter privately and are now persuaded that any case would fail, ruling Nolan out of Staunton's future plans.

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1669052&issue_id=14484

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

What we should do then is call up every single underage bit of talent in england that has an irish granny and trap them to us, just think, we'd have rooney, gerrard plus a whole host of others! :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

eirebhoy wrote:
    He's not eligible to play for Ireland.

That didn't stop Tony Cascarino. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

FIFA had an amnesty on this kind of thing for about a year which ended about a year ago or so. A good few players took up the option internationally, think Scotland may have got someone out of it. Anyway apparently Brian Kerr spoke to him at the time but he didn't seem that interested one way or another so they didn't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

The way I see it is, if he doesn't want to play for us now, or didn't want to play for us 1-2 years ago then I don't want him playing for us ever. Players like this usually wait and see if they break into the England and failing that explore their other options.

If he wants to play for Ingerland let him off, although IMO it's never gonna happen because he's not good enough.

Advertisement