Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Card to get

Options
  • 06-09-2006 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what 512mb Video would be recommended to get? I dont know if my card is an PCI or PCI Express etc but i do know it is a nVidia Geforce 6200 256mb card. Im sick of this graphics card and need a new one, can anyone recommend a good 512mb with a price range? Is there anyway on my computer i can check to see if it is a PCI or PCI Express?

Cheers,
    Cravez

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The 6200 comes in both pci and pci-e so you'll prob just have to open your case and take a peek inside. See this picture:

PCIe_mobo.jpg

The one on the very left is a pci-e slot, the ones on the very right are regular pci slots.

You don't need a 512mb card either - unless you're willing to spend hundreds of euro, because the cheap cards that advertise 512mb memory are worthless as they can't even use all the memory - only the expensive high end performance cards can live up to such a claim. A decent, proper 128mb card would easily outperform a 512mb 7300 or similar cards you see being flogged in pc world and maplins. They prey on people who assume bigger is automatically better.

If your card is a pci one and you don't have a pci-e or agp slot, then the 6200 is as good as it gets for pci. However, if its pci-e, then the world is your oyster. Pretty much anything will be an upgrade from a 6200...whats your budget?

There are loads of cheap pci-e cards floating out there at the moment second hand, with people upgrading to the new nvidia cards, so it shouldn't be too hard to get a card that will outperform your 6200 by about 250% for about 70-100 euro.

Advertisement