Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADSL2+ Speeds

• 06-09-2006 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi
    I'm looking for some info on ADSL2+ speeds. My line length is 3340 meters from my local exchange which has just been unbundled. I signed up for an ADSL2+ 4mb package. The line was switched over on Monday, I recieved the ADSL2+ modem and my download speed has not increased (from 2mb adsl) although my upload speed has. I rang tech support and was told the line is only capable of 2.4mbps.
    I was under the impression that even at 3.3km from the exchange ADSL2+ should be capable of speeds in excess of 4mbps D/L. Can anyone give me any info on this?

Thanks

Postie

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

postie wrote:
    Hi
    I'm looking for some info on ADSL2+ speeds. My line length is 3340 meters from my local exchange which has just been unbundled. I signed up for an ADSL2+ 4mb package. The line was switched over on Monday, I recieved the ADSL2+ modem and my download speed has not increased although my upload speed has. I rang tech support and was told the line is only capable of 2.4mbps.
    I was under the impression that even at 3.3km from the exchange ADSL2+ should be capable of speeds in excess of 4mbps D/L. Can anyone give me any info on this?

Thanks

Postie

It really depends on the quality of your own line - you might get better results by dropping down to a lower speed.

Have a look at your line stats - should be available from your router and then have a look here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭postie

dub45 wrote:
    It really depends on the quality of your own line - you might get better results by dropping down to a lower speed.

Have a look at your line stats - should be available from your router and then have a look here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Thanks Dub45.
    These links seem to be talking about ADSL rather than ADSL2+.
    I assume ADSL2+ is capable of higher speeds over the same copper wire?
    The other problem is I cannot check line stas as my modems GUI is not accessible!

Postie

postie wrote:
    Thanks Dub45.
    These links seem to be talking about ADSL rather than ADSL2+.
    I assume ADSL2+ is capable of higher speeds over the same copper wire?
    The other problem is I cannot check line stas as my modems GUI is not accessible!

Postie

Even with adsl2+ the line quality is still very important.

Which isp are you with? Magnet?

dub45 wrote:
    Even with adsl2+ the line quality is still very important.

Which isp are you with? Magnet?

Yes, Magnet - the modem/router is the 2700hgv

postie wrote:
    Yes, Magnet - the modem/router is the 2700hgv

Apparently (from other posts on here) they wont let you access the router,

any chance of borrowing one from a friend and see if you can get your starts from that? (not sure how practical that is)

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Apparently (from other posts on here) they wont let you access the router,

any chance of borrowing one from a friend and see if you can get your starts from that? (not sure how practical that is)

OK I'm in!
    Does this make any sense?

DSL Connection Details
    DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
    Protocol: G.DMT2 Annex A
    Channel: Interleaved
    Current Noise Margin: 5.5 dB (Downstream), 6.0 dB (Upstream)
    Current Attenuation: 54.1 dB (Downstream), 32.2 dB (Upstream)
    Current Output Power: 18.0 dBm (Downstream), 11.7 dBm (Upstream)
    DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xB5} Vendor: {BDCM} Specific: {0x362}
    PVC Info: 0/35

I suppose the question is can adsl2+ give a 4mbps connection with these line stats?

Thanks

Postie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Thats pretty bad Im afraid - The attenuation is quite high (Over 50dB). Also your SNR Margin downstream is only at 5.5dB - this sucks and is at the lower limit, a small amount of noise on this line will cause a disconnect.

I notice that the protocol is G.DMT2 (Not G.DMT2+). Are you sure that this test modem is ADSL2+ compatible?

Snaga wrote:
    Thats pretty bad Im afraid - The attenuation is quite high (Over 50dB). Also your SNR Margin downstream is only at 5.5dB - this sucks and is at the lower limit, a small amount of noise on this line will cause a disconnect.

I notice that the protocol is G.DMT2 (Not G.DMT2+). Are you sure that this test modem is ADSL2+ compatible?

This is the magnet 2wire 2700hgv modem so it should be ADSL2+ unless it has the wrong firmware??

Dont get too caught up with the modem thing - your line is the problem sadly.

dub45 wrote:
    Dont get too caught up with the modem thing - your line is the problem sadly.

ok so can a line with these stats expect to get any more than 2.4mbps with ADSL2+:confused:

• Advertisement

postie wrote:
    ok so can a line with these stats expect to get any more than 2.4mbps with ADSL2+:confused:

Every line is different - sorry to state the obvious but its true - even different routers can give different speeds - there has been a fair bit about this on the Smart support forums.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

As the speeds increase the line quality really becomes important - you might actually get better performance overall by dropping down. You will probably find that you will get lots of disconnects too with those line stats.

dub45 wrote:
    Every line is different - sorry to state the obvious but its true - even different routers can give different speeds - there has been a fair bit about this on the Smart support forums.

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/index.php?

As the speeds increase the line quality really becomes important - you might actually get better performance overall by dropping down. You will probably find that you will get lots of disconnects too with those line stats.

Yeah I've always had disconnects on the line both with eircom and magnet ADSL but I hoped that the ADSL2+ would solve all my problems... I'm dissappointed that the changeover is not resulting in any speed increase and it totally rules out the 8mb package with IPTV that they offer!
    It looks like ADSL2+ technology cannot componsate for years of neglect of the Dublin phone lines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

postie wrote:
    It looks like ADSL2+ technology cannot componsate for years of neglect of the Dublin phone lines.

Exactly, your internal wiring may also be dodge so if you

1. Put a new main socket in where the wire enters the house, ask an eircom tech if he has one in the van and they usually oblige :D
    2. TEMPORARILY disconnect the internal wiring beyond that so only this new socket works
    3. RECONNECT the internal wiring again

and get a Db level at stages 2 and 3 with the modem you borrowed

then you may find a big improvement at stage 2 over 3 and that would help, if not the problem is outside _somewhere_

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Exactly, your internal wiring may also be dodge so if you

1. Put a new main socket in where the wire enters the house, ask an eircom tech if he has one in the van and they usually oblige :D
    2. TEMPORARILY disconnect the internal wiring beyond that so only this new socket works
    3. RECONNECT the internal wiring again

and get a Db level at stages 2 and 3 with the modem you borrowed

then you may find a big improvement at stage 2 over 3 and that would help, if not the problem is outside _somewhere_

Great thanks for that. I will try that.
    There is nothing else connected to the line anyway as it is now a data only line (the phone now connects to the magnet modem and is voip) and there is no internal wireing beyond the main socket. The socket is a non-Eircom one so its probably crap and the cable from outside into the house is very old so I may need to replace the whole thing.
    I am getting the line stats from the 2wire modem as I have worked out how to access the GUI on it so I'll see if I can persuade a nice van driver to have a look and check the stats again.

Thanks

Postie

Postie, can I ask which Magnet package you are on and for how much a month (incl Vat)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Postie, can I ask which Magnet package you are on and for how much a month (incl Vat)

Its Magnet Intro 4mbs/512kbps and it is €28/month inc VAT

Thats Grand.

You can get somewhere above 2Mbits but obviously (pending a rewire) not the full 4Mbits .

The GOOD news is that Magnet did not try to sell you a package that was grossly unsuitable for your line such as 'entertainment' and charge you for it .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Thats Grand.

You can get somewhere above 2Mbits but obviously (pending a rewire) not the full 4Mbits .

The GOOD news is that Magnet did not try to sell you a package that was grossly unsuitable for your line such as 'entertainment' and charge you for it .
    Actually they did, but I opted for intro with the view to upgrading later!
    In fairness they have been very helpful but its new to them too....;)

New me arse, they have a database that tells them more or less this lot !
    CCurrent Noise Margin: 5.5 dB (Downstream), 6.0 dB (Upstream)
    Current Attenuation: 54.1 dB (Downstream), 32.2 dB (Upstream)

from their end. They knew already what you found out when you plugged the other DSL modem in. They should never never never have dreamt of offering you the entertainment package with statts like that .

Sponge Bob wrote:
    New me arse, they have a database that tells them more or less this lot !

from their end. They knew already what you found out when you plugged the other DSL modem in. They should never never never have dreamt of offering you the entertainment package with statts like that .

There was just a touch of sarcasm in my last post!!

• Advertisement

Its surprising that this sort of thing is new to Magnet hard to believe that all their customers have pristine lines!

If Magnet let you use a different router/modem you could try experimenting a bit - some Smart customers have found that a different model can help improve connectivity and speed but it is very much a matter of trial and error - some of the Netgear ones seemed to work well for people but router/modem performance is very unpredictable too - just look at the user reviews here:

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

dub45 wrote:
    Its surprising that this sort of thing is new to Magnet hard to believe that all their customers have pristine lines!

If Magnet let you use a different router/modem you could try experimenting a bit - some Smart customers have found that a different model can help improve connectivity and speed but it is very much a matter of trial and error - some of the Netgear ones seemed to work well for people but router/modem performance is very unpredictable too - just look at the user reviews here:

www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk

Actually from what I can see in the 2wire GUI there is no username or password in the required fields so provided the settings are the same (vpi/vci etc) and its not hardware locked you should be able to?

postie wrote:
    Actually from what I can see in the 2wire GUI there is no username or password in the required fields so provided the settings are the same (vpi/vci etc) and its not hardware locked you should be able to?

Well before you spend any money you might be wise to ask Magnet. Any chance of borrowing one from a friend?

dub45 wrote:
    Well before you spend any money you might be wise to ask Magnet. Any chance of borrowing one from a friend?

I think magnet are very reluctant to let anyone install 3rd party equipment as it restricts their remote access but I may be able to get one through our company..I'll post here if I have any joy

Advertisement