Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nitro heli to nitro plane

Options
  • 06-09-2006 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

hI all

I currently fly a 50 size heli and would like to try a plane.Could anyone pls advise me on a trainer/start out plane to get.I would like to start with a nitro plane.(not into electrics).

Any advice / help would be appreciated.Also where would be the best place to buy in the Dublin area or sorrounds.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

evo30 wrote:
    ...I currently fly a 50 size heli and would like to try a plane.Could anyone pls advise me on a trainer/start out plane ....
    If you can fly the heli no problem - skip the trainer completely.
    It would be too tame to keep your interest for long.
    You would have no trouble starting with a lowwing semi aerobatic Spacewalker II, or a PT19 from Green Hobby in Dublin HERE
    On the other hand - if you really want the trainer to start with, (say possibly you're finding the heli a bit of a challenge) then a Cessna 40, or Trainer 65 would be nice.

Another interesting possibility, seeing you're in Dundalk, would be to get a semi aerobatic glider - say a flying wing, Pilatus or DG, and take it slope soaring from the mountains to the north of Dundalk.
    There are videos showing the kind of PSS (scale soaring with or without power) models I am referring to here, Slope Soaring website. The advantage of the soaring arrangement is there's loads of places to fly free, and no pre-mown grass runway is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 evo30

Thanks Coolwings

You have given me a few good options here.I have never considered sloap soaring.It sounds exiting and relaxing at the same time.Please excuse my lack of knowledge but how do they peform in the often windy conditions we have here.I also quite like the idea that if powered they can be flown off a flat surface as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi There,

I think starting with a trainer is a good choice first...

If you fly heli, you don't necessary know how to fly plane... (And for the other way too...)

At least, try on somebody trainer first and see by yourself if you can fly a plane.
    Then invest in something adapted to your level, but I'll put my money on a trainer :rolleyes:

For the gliders, that is much more interresting than planes :D:D but if you want to do slope soaring, you need to first check if you have a proper slope nearby, or if you want to fly in flat, or if no slopes are close to where you live, you can consider a motorglider (electric), bungee launch etc etc...

Up to you know, but the best advice I can give is to try both world (plane / gliders) and see...

Fred

...the best advice I can give is to try both world (plane / gliders) and see... Fred
    I agree completely.
    There is a danger that you could be like me, and end up with one model for each type of flying ! :D

There is a small club of glowfuel (nitro) flyers close to Dundalk.

And the mountains to the north of the town are just peachy for slope soaring ... I know a chap who flies PSS there, (sorry - I don't know precisely which field).

So you are spoiled for choice :)

evo30 wrote:
    ....how do they peform in the often windy conditions we have here.I also quite like the idea that if powered they can be flown off a flat surface as well.

Well generally gliders are chosen to be "slippy" - that is they slip through the air without much need to be dragged by a propeller. take a look, they are the streamlined type airplanes.
    Ki-61 Tony
    Even the fighters we use for PSs gliding (with or without motor) are the streamlined fighters
    Here is a prop driven Elektro Cat, motor glider - notice the slim profile
    So wind hardly bothers them at all.
    Skyraider
    Also - on a slope the wind is laminar - far smoother, and clean to fly in.
    From a flat field low down it bounces over trees, and down into depressions, and goes over like a ripply or wavy sea on which the engine models bounce a bit.
    So on the calm days it is either a trip to the club with glowfuel, or the slope with PSS.
    Buton a windy day it's gliding and PSS from slope, and no flying from flat fields.

I like both, but I find I do more from slopes myself in any given year.

• Advertisement

coolwings wrote:
    Also - on a slope the wind is laminar - far smoother, and clean to fly in.

Hummm.. That's not really true. The most laminar wind on a slope you can find is in the front sea... And only if you fly over the water...

See in Keelakee, you have lots of turbulence on half the slope, same in the North, and almost in all the other slopes. Even in Mount leinster, where the slope view is on the valley, you have turbulences. And depending of the wind, those turbulence cam be really strong. That's why you need big and heavy gliders ! :p:p (yes, the heavier the glider is, the less the turbulences can annoy you... Planes are generally heavier, that's why turbulences don't really affect the approach.. In Some conditions of course, everything have is limitations ! )

But all these turbulences are only a problem at landing, in flight, on slope or in a flat field, that's the same.
    Well generally gliders are chosen to be "slippy" - that is they slip through the air without much need to be dragged by a propeller.

I don't really know what slippy mean (slide ?) :o but the propeller of a glider it's is speed and is profile. Then, the slope dynamic and/or themals. Combine all 4 elements, and you can fly, whatever the conditions.

And I agree with Coolwings.. Chances are that at the end, you will have both plane and gliders and enjoy both a lot.. even if I'm sure you are going to prefer gliders.. :p:p:p

Fred

Hummm.. .... The most laminar wind on a slope you can find is in the front sea... And only if you fly over the water...
    Yeah. I'm sure that is why I love flying over water so much. Onlookers have no appreciation of just how nice the model is handling when flying in lift over water. However if you are holding the transmitter sticks, it is excellent !
    ... turbulences are only a problem at landing, in flight, on slope or in a flat field, ....Fred
    Each flying site has it's own special air currents. And using them is part of learning how to fly better, after you learn the basic skills.
    It takes a while, because the air currents are invisible, and you have to feel them via vour model soarer or glider.
    But when you have it figured, you are looking at the air and saying to yourself "it is nice over there, bit bumpy there, going down here, just there is the very best lift", and so on.

Some flyers prefer to fly at the same place over and over, so that they get to know every intimate air current.
    I enjoy going to a new place, where I will have to figure out new lift, downlift, rotary air and so on.

Mind you, in a new site I usually do a test flight with an old foamy model first, before sending something really nice up ;)

True,

That's why we are trying to fly in a different site almost each week end.

And that's also why gliders are so interresting / challenging.

Fred

...That's why we are trying to fly in a different site almost each week end. And that's also why gliders are so interresting / challenging. Fred
    Where have you flown lately Fred?

I have been in the West of Ireland a couple of weeks ago myself. Lots of places to fly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

If you still interested in a glow low wing trainer, I would suggest something like the Blackhorse Super air or Travel air. There not to expensive to start of with, that’s if Fred and coolwings have not swayed you over to the slope soaring.
    Register and check out the videos on http://www.teamflyingcirkus.com./
    They show good footage of what can be done with 3D glow planes.

• Advertisement

Hey Norman,

I've flew on a few slopes along the east coast (from almost the NI border) to Waterford (was in Waterford for work), and some slopes around Co dublin and Mayo (Achill mostly).

But as I always said, the pb in Ireland is not to find a slope (you almost have a slope every 500 mtrs here..:p ) but to find a slope suitable for a large range of models.

Basically, with my EPP flying wing, I can fly everywhere, everyday... With a 2mtrs glider, you can remove 50 % of the slopes, and with more serious stuff, a few slopes are left.

Fred

syl77 wrote:
    If you still interested in a glow low wing trainer, I would suggest something like the Blackhorse Super air or Travel air. There not to expensive to start of with, that’s if Fred and coolwings have not swayed you over to the slope soaring.
    Register and check out the videos on http://www.teamflyingcirkus.com./

Hi Syl77,

For a trainer, I'll go high wing (more stable).. Something like the Calmato, trainer TT40 / 60 and so on...

For advanced flight, I'll go for the calmato sport, or a megafly (<--One of the best acro trainer I've ever had !)

Fred

syl77 wrote:
    If you still interested in a glow low wing trainer,.....
    Well the classic trainer both in the real thing and models is a Cessna

So if you plan to use 2-stroke engines I would suggest one of those, in a .40 or .45 size. :D
    Two stroke engines are good, similar to what you have in your heli already, if you are happy with it, why not? Don't forget you will need a runway for it!

Cessna Training Flight Short Video

I wouldn't try a 3D plane to get started myself.

Hi guys.

Thanks for all the input so far.I have a question which im not sure i can ask on here.I was wondering what sort of outlay i was looking at.

I have the radio,ground gear etc

I recon i would require a plane of course.,engine (os preferred),servos,rec,crystal. Thats about it i think.(Or have i missed something)

Also if i could get an engine that runs on 15% nitro that would be great(i have plenty of stock for the helis)

I recon that Cessna would be just perfect as suggested by Coolwings.I really like the scale look etc.

Thanks again

Hi there
    I recon that Cessna would be just perfect as suggested by Coolwings.I really like the scale look etc.

Yes, but not adapted to beginners...
    Check your level first before investing in this...

Fred

thanks Fred

So you recon a tt40 would be the best to start with.,or 60. I have no problem starting at the lowest level in order to learn how to fly.The chances are that i am going to have to teach myself as i did with the helis. I have a large grassed area to learn on so space is no problem.Will just have to cut a runway etc for myself.

I have no doubt a couple of crashes are coming in the learning process so maybe the more basic at the start the better as you said.

In saying that man those scale planes are so nice.:)

Could you advise me on the best way to go iro a 40 or 60 size.How about 2nd hand trainor while i build a scale? cessna etc.

Regards

Clinton

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

Fred is correct with a high wing being more stable, had suggested a low wing trainer thinking he may want to skip a high wing. Evo, try a basic 40 size trainer, something like the arising star. Put a .46 engine in it. engine make is up to you, but I suppose from working with helis, you know OS are pretty good, just don’t get the LA version, they lack in power.
    Try get hooked up with a local club, it can cut down on crashes and expenses.
    How did you flying progress with the helis having no helping hand....Did you start with glow heli's. What 50 are you currently flying?

I built the heli myself then had it checked out to make sure it was built correctly.First time round i had the settings done but now i do it myself.(iro of the throttle/pitch curves etc). As far as the flying goes i taught myself from scratch.I got it right but it took a lot of time,proberly a lot longer than if i had help.In saying that im not into 3d flying.That has never interisted me.The transformation from hover to forward flight i think with a heli is proberly the most diff part.Keeping the heli level and at a constant speed is not to easy at the start.I started with a small micro heli but found it to diff to fly.I then took the gap and got a hirobo evo.Although intimidating at the start it was a lot easier to fly than the small one.Once the training gear was off it went even better.I still regard myself as a beginner iro the heli. I wouldnt ever give up the heli ,i would just like to fly a plane as well.I would like to believe that my heli experience would help me iro owning a plane.Even if its just having a better understanding of engine settings,radio settings etc.
    I have decided to get a 40 size trainor, and get one of the local guys to buddy box with me.If it goes ok then i will teach myself to fly.What i need to know now is where is the best lhs to buy it.

Regards

Clint.

evo30 wrote:
    ....I have decided to get a 40 size trainor, and get one of the local guys to buddy box with me.If it goes ok ....
    Hi Clinton :)

Wow - you don't seem to have much confidence !
    it's like this:
    If you are currently flying a 50 heli OK, and able to fly rectangular circuits, and hover adequately, then you can fly any plane - already.
    Only thing you need to learn is how much space is required to do turns without height loss / stall.
    That will take only 1 or 2 flights to figure out.

Now assuming you get a basic trainer I estimate it will take you 20 -40 minutes to "grow out of it". Which is not a long time.
    So do you need a trainer? IMHO no. Trainers are for learning to fly, and you have said you can do that.

Buddy box? I thought you can fly. You should be aware that a plane is easier to fly, by far, than a heli. What is the need for a buddy box? Any extra unnecessary complication is just another way to possibly crash a model.

Now some people just want a plane, and the trainer is one of those. If that is all you want ... something easier than the heli that you can relax with between heli flights.... . the trainer would do that fine. :)

Also - if your present heli is not a glow 50 heli, but is a lightweight, like say a Saber indoors leccie, then forget the low wing plane and get started with the high wing trainer - in this case it is the appropriate model. I again suggest a 40 - 45 size, and the Cassna would do fine. :D

OTOH if you want something interesting, then beg, steal or borrow a friends trainer for those two flights. And forget the trainer stage.
    Buy yourself a good handling low wing sport plane.
    I already made suggestions as to what is suitable, and where they are to be got.

The general guide thread in this forum lists all the suppliers in Ireland. So check them all out and take your pick.

Yep you were right.Trainer/buddy box was not the ultimate thrill.Very slooow.But in saying that i suppose it was the unknown,and the fact that most plane flyers BESIDES yourself said i was looking at the impossible dream by not trying a trainer first.(Bearing in mind i fly on my own land so i had no access to a plane until now).At least i now know what im in for.By the advice you giving me i am lead to presume that you fly helis as well.,hence the reason for you suggesting skipping the trainer.I landed and took off on my own after 10 min on the buddy box.Now i must add that the landings were not perfect but landings all the same.Any way thanks for all the advice.
    Im off to buy plane this week.Will keep you posted:D

Regards

Clinton

• Advertisement
Advertisement