Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting BB - Hardware

• 06-09-2006 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

After years of waiting my phone line has at last passed the line test for BB. I am probably going to go with the 3MB product from Esat(not wireless). However I have no idea how I will set things up and what Esat will supply me with. I have a desktop PC(no network card). I know I will be getting a modem but how do I connect this to my PC. Do they also supply a pci network card to install in the PC to connect the modem or how does it all fit together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sparks2000

hope it comes with a usb connection

actually feic that,will ya just buy and fit a network card!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

After years of waiting my phone line has at last passed the line test for BB. I am probably going to go with the 3MB product from Esat(not wireless). However I have no idea how I will set things up and what Esat will supply me with. I have a desktop PC(no network card). I know I will be getting a modem but how do I connect this to my PC. Do they also supply a pci network card to install in the PC to connect the modem or how does it all fit together.
    It appears that BT have started to supply just a simple USB modem, so you can get started immediately if you have an available USB port.

But a USB modem narrows your upgrade options if you have a second computer, or might have one at some point in the future, or if you think you might have a laptop at some point that you'd like to connect wirelessly.

So if you've got a free USB port, and don't expect any changes to your system in the next year or so, go ahead with the free USB "modem". If you think you might need more flexibility, spring for the wireless router, and buy a PCI etherent card and install it. Ethernet is a much more useful option, but there isn't much point in paying for it if you don't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Cheers for the Info guys. At least I now know I'll be able to get up and running pretty easily. You are correct Foxwood as I do not even have a second PC/Laptop the wireless solution would not be used and a waste of $.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Cheers for the Info guys. At least I now know I'll be able to get up and running pretty easily. You are correct Foxwood as I do not even have a second PC/Laptop the wireless solution would not be used and a waste of $.

I'm pretty disappointed that BT have stopped offering ethernet support by default - it's a big step backwards. Ethernet is a far better technology (support for VoIP hardware, networked printers, multiple computers etc). I'd never recommend choosing USB when ethernet is an option. And if it was only a question of a tenner for an ethernet card, I'd say go for it (if you're comfortable installing it). But if you have to pay extra for a router that provides ethernet support, then it's hard to recommend it.

Although I know little about BB technology I would tend to agree. Using a USB modem does not fill me with expectation. Having checked my system it appears my mobo has a built in "Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC and PHY in one chip. Supports 10Mb/s, 100Mb/s and 1000Mb/s auto negotiation." I'm not sure what all that means and I have never used it. Would this suffice as the network card for a BB modem(not USB). I have also found a Netopia 3346 modem/router(Cayman 3346 ADSL Smart Device) in the attic, can't even remember where I picked it up. I wonder would this modem paired with the mobo's Integrated Ethernet do the trick. Any ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Do you have a port on the back of your computer that looks like a slightly bigger than normal phone socket?

If so, congratulations - you have an ethernet port. (Most computers supplied in the last 3/4 years have them).

That said - if the BT modem is solely USB then youll be using USB regardless unless you are willing to spring for a more expensive one.

Ethernet is King, but USB will do the job in your situation - you can always upgrade at a later time.

Sounds good, that's the Ethernet end taken care of. I am now just wondering if the Netopia modem I have will suffice. I do not have the USB modem BT supplies as of yet but either way I would rather not use USB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭pinksoir

I was lookin on the BT site at their offer, and it seems that you don't have to go with their modem. There is an option to use your own modem, if you look in the "what installation method do you require?" option, you can select "I have my own modem and will install it myself". Of course you should ask BT yourself as there may be settings for their network that you would have to use when configuring the modem. I mean, if their modem is ethernet AND free, it could save you a lot of hassle rather than going with your own... Just a thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Sounds good, that's the Ethernet end taken care of. I am now just wondering if the Netopia modem I have will suffice. I do not have the USB modem BT supplies as of yet but either way I would rather not use USB.
    BT supply a dual USB/Ethernet modem. This one: http://www.zyxel.com/web/product_family_detail.php?PC1indexflag=20040812093058&CategoryGroupNo=F9619EE6-1FB3-48FB-B68E-7773E95FF97F
    If the Cayman is working, it'll also do the job for you.

Advertisement