Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on DIY Plastering

Options
  • 06-09-2006 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Ok so i've got wardrobes and shelving/storage built in to my room in an L shape ie two walls meet in the corner.

I want to pull all this out and strip down wallpaper and put in wooden floors.

Question is how hard is it to do a DIY plastering job? I'm fairly handy at DIY just never done plastering before, my mate was saying just buy plaster board nail it to walls and use joint filler. Any advice/help appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Follow your mates advice, getting a good finish with jointfiller is a lot easier than getting a perfect finish with skim coat.
    Plastering is a very exact trade, and you will definitely not get a good finish as a beginner, also forget nailing slabs, those days are gone, use 35mm drywall screws for a neat finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

thanks for that, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

Why not just use plasterboard bond. Its just a mix you put together yourself. We did our whole new room with the stuff,full size boards incl insulation and it worked a treat. much handier and once you have a spirit level,cant go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

If there is any old plaster or coat on the wall, you could try smoothover from Polycell, I used that to plaster over stippled walls and it worked fine.

Advertisement