Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mike Patton hates Wolfmother

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ThenComesDudley

i have to agree with him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Ha ha! I do like Wolfmother, but that was still hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barry.S

Hahaha, that was great! Is it just me or does he look fairly high too? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Amen brother!

I don't think he's high, I think that's just him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Barry.S wrote:
    Hahaha, that was great! Is it just me or does he look fairly high too? ;)

mike patton doesn't even need drugs to be high... mannnn :D

i saw this last week or whatever on CV.org, very funny stuff alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

Hahaha. Class.
    Don't blame him, Wolfmother wreck my head too.
    "Woommmmannnnn"
    Grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

Whatever about Wolfmother (I'm not familiar with them) but Mike Patton is an overrated hack.

People seem to misinterpret his incoherent musical ramblings as "genius".

Usually the grunge generation strangely enough or those who think actual works of genius are pretentious. Yet Patton's dirge is wonderfully valid somehow.

No-one should listen to this man's opinion.

Mike Patton is great most of the time. Some of his stuff is **** (Peeping Tom, Faith no More) granted but Fantomas and Tomohawk rock the balls off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

John wrote:
    Some of his stuff is **** (Peeping Tom, Faith no More)

:eek: :eek: :eek: I know everyone to there own but to call FNM ****...its a bit harsh:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

FNM & Mr. Bungle are Pattons best work, the rest is extremly hit and miss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

Ho-Hum wrote:
    FNM & Mr. Bungle are Pattons best work, the rest is extremly hit and miss.

ah I would have to agree FNM and Mr Bungle tied for number one, then his work with Tomohawk and Fantomas - that is how I would order his work. BUt then what do I know, I'm just an old fart :)

and that video was priceless - c'mon you have all been standing around like that, talking and then only realise that something in the background is just generally annoying the **** out of you - I know I have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

AlanOB wrote:
    Whatever about Wolfmother (I'm not familiar with them) but Mike Patton is an overrated hack.

People seem to misinterpret his incoherent musical ramblings as "genius".

Usually the grunge generation strangely enough or those who think actual works of genius are pretentious. Yet Patton's dirge is wonderfully valid somehow.

i kick you in the nuts sir!

a lot of Mikes lyrics are nonsensical, but the music is fantastic. even with Peeping Tom; i was afraid when i heard what it was going to be, who he was working with, etc., but i thought it was a really good album. doesnt seem to be able to put a foot wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭dimerocks

that was one funny video, and peeping tom are highly great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭j0e

to the ppl calling FNM crap i direct you to the alternative & indie forum there must have been an error when u clicked the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

AlanOB wrote:
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

As someone on metalireland said and i tend to agree with them

"Im doing an album of 60's Italian music with an orchestra" - Mike Patton
    "Jesus, What year is this?!?!" - Mike Patton to Wolfmother.

j0e wrote:
    to the ppl calling FNM crap i direct you to the alternative & indie forum there must have been an error when u clicked the link

Because you couldn't possibly not like FNM and appreciate rock and metal music at the same time :rolleyes:

I think FNM are boring, I make no apologies for it. I will admit they have their moments, the King for a Day... album has some good songs but not enough to make it a good album. They're a stadium rock band with a bit of an edge, not exactly something that makes me wet with excitement even if Patton is fronting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

AlanOB wrote:

wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭peepingtom

Diarmuid wrote:
    wrong.

approved!

patton is a feckin legend! ... im not a big fan of his work with Fantomas to be honest, but Mr Bungle and FNM are the muts nuts! .... oh and Peeping Tom of course :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I don't care what you say! Wolfmother rock conclusively!

• Advertisement

I don't care what you say! Wolfmother rock conclusively!

lol

John wrote:
    Because you couldn't possibly not like FNM and appreciate rock and metal music at the same time :rolleyes:

I think FNM are boring, I make no apologies for it.

Couldn't agree more. Faith No More are only innovative if you've never heard anything innovative. As you say they have some decent, listenable work. Angel Dust has some good tracks for example. But by and large, they pale greatly in comparison creatively and technically to the VAST majority of hard rock bands.

That whole "alternative" scene never did it for me anyway. Lots of post-punk, musically limited posers fiddling about thinking that they were doing something monumental and important, when in reality the artists of the decades that preceded them were effortlessly superior in every way.

Unfortunately most of the fanbase of FNM and subsequently Patton himself, have very limited knowledge of "the past". At least the large number of such fans that know from Limerick fit this bill anyway. They would have grown up listening to The Cure and Dinosaur Jr. and Nirvana and various other things of that nature and wouldn't even dream of wading back into the works of more "dinosauric" bands (pun fully intended) who originated from an era when true musicianship was held at a paramount.

They'll talk about the genius of Mr. Bungle, not realising that they are in fact listening to a pale imitation of truly great leftfield, progressive music like King Crimson, Floyd, Rush, Yes, Jethro Tull, Genesis and Can.

But hey whatever, it's not the listening to Patton's stuff I have a problem with, it's the genius worship. Totally and utterly misjudged.

TBH it sounds like you just don't have an appreciation for new music (not that FNM are new, but Patton mostly is).
    Do you listen to much rock/metal bands that have only emerged in the last 5 years?
    And do you think they're boring simply because they draw influence from bands that went before?

I dunno about you, but I much prefer post-punk to punk. And if you don't I daresay you're a dying breed. Good luck with that.

Patton has made some pretty great music, that's all I know.

I don't prefer ANY punk. I think my putting forward of the virtues of musicianship demonstrates that pretty clearly.

As for not appreciating any new music, can you blame me? Most if not all of the subgenres of rock that have sprung up since the beginning of the 90's have been talent-barren, virtuosity wastelands with very little to catch the interest. Having said that a lot of recent bands from existing subgenres are quite impressive and measure up quite well to the greats of the past, but by and large the last one and a half decades have been hugely eclipsed by the preceding two or three. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge across the spectrum of hard rock will acknowledge this.

It's not therefore new music that I have a problem with. It's inferior music. And if a lot of bands that have sprung up in the last 5-15 years fit this bill then so be it.

I know what I'd rather listen to between a musically and creatively inferior post-punk/punk/alternative outfit and one of the true greats that I mentioned earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I can't access the clip via that link. Can some-one help me please?

AlanOB wrote:
    I don't prefer ANY punk. I think my putting forward of the virtues of musicianship demonstrates that pretty clearly.
    Musicianship? Now there's a can of worms. If you mean songwriting ability, then fine. If you mean only being able to do 'difficult' things on an instrument, then I beg to differ as to the virtues of 'musicianship'.
    Do you mean to say you just don't like any punk music full-stop? Are you saying punk music is devoid of this 'musicianship'?
    wrote:
    As for not appreciating any new music, can you blame me?
    Yes.
    wrote:
    Most if not all of the subgenres of rock that have sprung up since the beginning of the 90's have been talent-barren, virtuosity wastelands with very little to catch the interest.
    Okay, first of all, subgenres? What about the existing ones? Do they just somehow not count because they've 'been done'? Second of all, "rock"? If "rock" and its subgenres are the limits of your 90s-onward musical exposure then it's no wonder you havent found anything much to be enamoured of lately.
    (Although maybe we just think the word "rock" means different things)
    wrote:
    Having said that a lot of recent bands from existing subgenres are quite impressive and measure up quite well to the greats of the past, but by and large the last one and a half decades have been hugely eclipsed by the preceding two or three. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge across the spectrum of hard rock will acknowledge this.
    No, they wouldn't, I'm afraid. Right now I am wondering as to how broad a 'sprectrum' your knowledge of "hard rock" really covers. I think this is KH's cue to enter and enlighten us as to all that recent metal has to offer.

wrote:
    It's not therefore new music that I have a problem with. It's inferior music. And if a lot of bands that have sprung up in the last 5-15 years fit this bill then so be it.
    And you think music in the last decade or so has by and large been more oft inferior. Which is the same thing.
    Here's the thing. Every decade has its ****e bands. But hindsight is rose-tinted and the mediocre bands just dont live as long in the memory.
    wrote:
    I know what I'd rather listen to between a musically and creatively inferior post-punk/punk/alternative outfit and one of the true greats that I mentioned earlier.
    Oh, well, obviously, if it's a "true great". And you were the one repulsed by the so-called Patton genius-worship? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the 21st century. We have good music, for those who know where to look for it.

Welcome to the 21st century. We have good music, for those who know where to look for it.

Here! Here! Well said.

New and newish music to be excited about:
    Boris Pink or Dronevil
    Einstuerzende Neubauten Perpetuum Mobile
    Bardo Pond Ticket Crystals
    OM Variations on a Theme
    Tool 10,000 Days
    Sunn O))) Black One
    Lurker of Chalice Lurker of Chalice
    Fantomas Suspended Animation
    Khanate Things Viral
    Pelican The Fire in our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
    Mikaela's Fiend We Can Driving Machine
    Slomo The Creep
    Mastodon Leviathan

If you can't find somethine worth listening to from that list give up listening to music now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭BleakestH

AlanOB wrote:

As for not appreciating any new music, can you blame me? Most if not all of the subgenres of rock that have sprung up since the beginning of the 90's have been talent-barren, virtuosity wastelands with very little to catch the interest. Having said that a lot of recent bands from existing subgenres are quite impressive and measure up quite well to the greats of the past, but by and large the last one and a half decades have been hugely eclipsed by the preceding two or three. Anyone with a rudimentary knowledge across the spectrum of hard rock will acknowledge this.
    Lol what a ridiculous statement. You realise, don't you, that music is art and as art it is completely subjective, right? Saying that 'most if not all....rock that has sprung up sinc ethe beginning of the 90s have been barren, virtuosity wastelands' is such a sweeping, nonsensical statement that it beggars belief. Virtuosity wastelands? Do even know what that means? Christ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I think this is KH's cue to enter and enlighten us as to all that recent metal has to offer.

Well I wasn't going to say anything, but indeed, there's plenty of bands that have really established themselves over the last 10 years (Give or take), just look at the likes of Evergrey, Arch Enemy, Mithras, Green Carnation, Lamb Of God, Unearth, Alarum, Gnostic, Decapitated, and that doesn't include the amount of great music that's still being made by older bands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Evergrey? Unearth? Pah.

Here's some funkeh modern metal and then some:

Lykathea Aflame
    Maudlin of the Well
    Neurosis
    Pavor
    That 1 Guy
    Blut Aus Nord
    Necrophagist (now for your musicianship and virtuosity)
    Deathspell Omega
    Dysrhythmia
    Enslaved
    Gorod
    Into Eternity
    Ingurgitating Oblivion
    Kekal
    Les Claypool in general
    Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
    Spastic Ink
    Gordian Knot
    Sikth
    Sleep Terror
    Spiral Architect
    Symbyosis

I'll stop there but you get the point. There's loads of it.

Advertisement